Fitbit and extra calories

2»

Replies

• Elisabuffy19
    Elisabuffy19 Posts: 130 Member
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Something is off with my fitbit again. I walked more steps today than yesterday (it's 10:45pm) and it's subtracting 117 activity calories whereas yesterday when I walked less it gave me 28 extra calories to use. Why could this be happening??

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, which is affected by much more than just your step count. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level.

You may have gotten more steps today, but you burned fewer calories.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Thank you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    Try turning off negative adjustments to MFP.

With negative calorie adjustments disabled, you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level. (But they'll never put your calories below 1,200.)

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited August 2015
    airbent wrote: »
    You can do it via the app or the Fitbit website. :)

Thanks! I just turned it off. On days that I walk over 10k, it only gives me about 50 extra calories. Does that sound right to you? Is it because I am logging exercise in mfp? Or because i have Lightly Active in my profile?

You need to set both MFP and Fitbit to sedentary for fitbit step-based adjustments to be meaningful (where's editorgrrl with that helpful post of hers lol), you also need to have negative calorie adjustments enabled. That's how you get your real TDEE minus deficit from fitbit/MFP. If you have MFP set to lightly active it's going to be estimating your TDEE, but the good thing about having a fitbit is knowing exactly what your TDEE is..

Where do you adjust the setting in Fitbit to sedentary or active or whatever?

I'm still confused by all this, I admit.

I changed MFP to lightly active because I was getting such huge Fitbit adjustments, and I still am.

The only step-based exercise I log over on Fitbit is water-jogging. I wear my Flex while I do it and it records my steps, but I note the times and it overwrites that time frame in my activity log. I do all my resistance/strength exercise logging over there.

I get about 20K or so steps a day.

• editorgrrl

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, choosing an activity level is a matter of personal preference when you connect a Fitbit to MFP. At lightly active, you start with more calories in the morning, but get smaller adjustments.

Until you understand how everything works, set your activity level to sedentary.
  • PeachyCarol

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, choosing an activity level is a matter of personal preference when you connect a Fitbit to MFP. At lightly active, you start with more calories in the morning, but get smaller adjustments.

Until you understand how everything works, set your activity level to sedentary.

I had it at sedentary when I first got the Fitbit back in mid-July. I've enabled negative calorie adjustments.

I was set here for sedentary from the time I started dieting. I've gotten incredibly active lately though, and Fitbit was giving me anywhere from 750 to over 1,000 calories a day. It would go down because I go to bed early, but just a little.

I raised my activity level to lightly active and don't eat back all of my adjustment because I still can't quite believe what Fitbit says my TDEE is.

I guess I'm sort of doing TDEE with it since I can't suss out what to do with the adjustments. I've worked out a deficit from what it says my TDEE is and eat within a range of it. It's within 100-200 calories of MFP's setting for lightly active for me, depending on how much activity I've had that day.

I'm going to have to wrap my head around this in a better fashion looking ahead to maintenance, though... aren't I?

• editorgrrl
    I don't eat back all of my adjustment because I still can't quite believe what Fitbit says my TDEE is.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit burn for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

I was shocked how many calories Fitbit said I could eat, but I've eaten back 100% of my Fitbit burns for two years, lost the weight, and kept it off.

YMMV. I also:
    • log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly;
    • enabled negative calorie adjustments; and
    • log exercise in Fitbit—never MFP.
  • PeachyCarol
    I don't eat back all of my adjustment because I still can't quite believe what Fitbit says my TDEE is.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator. The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit burn for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.

I was shocked how many calories Fitbit said I could eat, but I've eaten back 100% of my Fitbit burns for two years, lost the weight, and kept it off.

YMMV. I also:

I log VERY accurately, for sure.

I'll need more time to average out data. So far, due to the nature of how water weight plays games when you take on new activities, it's hard to gauge whether I'm losing at a rate completely commensurate with the deficit I'm allowing or not.

I'm going by what you're saying though, since it's taken until just today for my TDEE estimate in Fitbit to stop climbing daily.

Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice.

At the end of the day, I'm still amazed I've raised my TDEE that much!
  • editorgrrl
    I'll need more time to average out data. So far, due to the nature of how water weight plays games when you take on new activities, it's hard to gauge whether I'm losing at a rate completely commensurate with the deficit I'm allowing or not.

Sync your Fitbit account with Trendweight.com (it's free) to plot a moving average of your weight without the "noise" of water weight.

Unlike MFP's "in five weeks nonsense," Trendweight accurately predicted when I'd reach goal. And it's made my maintenance easy peasy.
  • Elisabuffy19

YMMV. I also:

About your last comments above- why log exercise in Fitbit? Currently I am breastfeeding a 3 month old and I have been logging it as "exercise" on MFP. I also log my Bar Method workouts in MFP. Should I be doing this differently? Thanks. You are so helpful!
  • PeachyCarol
    I log any non-step based exercise in Fitbit. They have an exercise data base over there. I feel like you get a more accurate burn rate from them.

Are you exclusively breastfeeding?
  • PeachyCarol
    ps... I just looked, Barre class is in the data base over on FB.
  • editorgrrl
    edited August 2015
    Why log exercise in Fitbit?

Currently I am breastfeeding a 3 month old and I have been logging it as "exercise" on MFP. I also log my Bar Method workouts in MFP. Should I be doing this differently?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, and exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time. I trust my Fitbit burn more than MFP's.

But breastfeeding is a whole 'nother thing. Keep logging it in MFP—Fitbit makes it more complicated than it needs to be: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-track-breastfeeding-on-my-Fitbit-dashboard
  • Elisabuffy19
    I log any non-step based exercise in Fitbit. They have an exercise data base over there. I feel like you get a more accurate burn rate from them.

Are you exclusively breastfeeding?

Yes exclusively breastfeeding. I have read that it can burn around 500 calories a day and since my son still nurses a lot I give myself 400 extra calories but have been doing that in MFP. Thanks, PeachyCarol, for chiming in on this discussion!
  • Elisabuffy19
    Why log exercise in Fitbit?

Currently I am breastfeeding a 3 month old and I have been logging it as "exercise" on MFP. I also log my Bar Method workouts in MFP. Should I be doing this differently?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, and exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time. I trust my Fitbit burn more than MFP's.

But breastfeeding is a whole 'nother thing. Keep logging it in MFP—Fitbit makes it more complicated than it needs to be: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-track-breastfeeding-on-my-Fitbit-dashboard

Oh yeah, that is way too time consuming!