Don't get mad... but what do you think of....

Options
I am a new memebr with MFP and so far I LOVE IT and the people (love you guys!!).

I used to be a member (years ago, I must add) of my-calorie-counter.com. Joining that website and counting my calories was the only thing that worked - I actually lost the weight. Years later and not keeping up with it, I have gained it all back.

When I decided this week that I wanted to do it again, I went back to my-calorie-counter.com and signed up... but everything looks different - it's changed a lot (and NOT for the good... everything is harder to find now and it doesn't have all the tables and graphs that I liked it so much for in the past). So I did some searching and found MFP and I love it. It has all the features I am looking for, so many nice people, and a quick turn-around on messages answered.

Now, I am JUST CURIOUS, but I have also seen a lot on the internet about sparkpeople.com... I am not saying I want to switch, but I was just wondering if anyone had used sparkpeople.com before and what you know about it? The ads say it is the "largest fitness network in the world"...

But it also looks like there is TONS of advertising clogging up the screen space...

Like I said, just curious...

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.
  • Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    I found sparkpeople to be a bit overwhelming actually. It's a good resource for information and they do have tons of fitness videos and motivational articles.

I love MFP because its easier for me to use. I've also developed a better support network on MFP.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've seen posts where people have moved from there to here. I don't really know as I've only used this one. But as someone above us said, check them both out and then make your own decision on what works best for you.

Welcome to MFP.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    If you're curious, you should go check it out and make your own decision. That said, your post will probably be deleted as it's against forum rules to promote websites that compete with MFP... so anyone encouraging you to join the site you're asking about would be guilty of violating that rule.
    3) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.

I don't think she's promoting another site...she said she joined a site, it worked but she gained it back. It's apart of her story...kind of like when people are on Jenny Craig or WW. She's also asking for opinions...there are a lot of transplants here from other sites...she's gonna get an opinion on what other people think is best and 100% sure MFP will win

Really...some people.

Anyway, to OP...glad you're back on track and that you find MFP to be helpful! Hopefully it can get you back to your last loss and you have a smooth and fun journey.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you like it here then why are you looking to other sites? Check it out if you'd like, or stay here if you'd like. Easy as that.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I found sparkpeople to be a bit overwhelming actually. It's a good resource for information and they do have tons of fitness videos and motivational articles. MFP is just easier for me to use.

I say try it out, no harm since it's free.

Yup - waaaay too much stuff on there. MFP is cut and dry, no BS. The community is the glue IMO. :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The network here is definitely large enough to get all the support you will need. And Mike (The creator) will never use this site to try to sell you any of his products. I went to the site and it looked like it was free as a way of trying to get you to buy their book and other stuff. You can definitely be successful here without needing to go anyplace out.
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Options
    I was a member, but I just couldn't get into it at Spark People. I like MFP soooo much better and use it religiously.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    MFP is the best!
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Tried SP was overwhelming for me as well, not to mention that the advertisements kept showing me things that I'm not supposed to eat!!! Plus, I couldn't find any vids that I could easily use considering my physical limitations.

Adore MFP!!! People here love to help too! Bonus!!! :heart:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used sparkpeople for a little while before starting this. I found the data-entry on spark to be kind of clunky and cumbersome, and a bit easier here. The community here is what really got me hooked.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I found sparkpeople to be a bit overwhelming actually. It's a good resource for information and they do have tons of fitness videos and motivational articles.

I love MFP because its easier for me to use. I've also developed a better support network on MFP.

Overwhelming, exactly the word I was looking for. I do appreciate the articles and videos and I like the group set up. But I find this site easier for tracking and I like the news feed and my friends.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I used sparkpeople before coming here to mfp and my opinion is that it has a lot of great info and a lot of supportive people but the food tracker is too much.... mfp is much easier to log and understand. Too much stuff going on at SP to me :)
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I did spark people for a year or so. I liked it but only used it for tracking food and activity. I never used the message boards etc. MFP seems to do the same but it's more streamlines and easier to navigate. I also like the "facebookiness" of MFP. Once I got started here I never looked back. there is nothing that SP does better than MFP in my opinion. :)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I used sparkpeople in the past...it is good, but I didn't get the feel of comunity I get here. I feel MFP is more personal.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Logging was very cumbersome for me -- logging my food here is soooo much faster and easier.
  • dawnannmacg
    Options
    I switched to MFP. spark people took much longer to do everything, and i actually find the people on this site are much nicer and more helpful.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I tried SP for a while, but the site was super cumbersome to use. Also, they kept blasting my e-mail with all sorts of offers, promotions, ads etc. I had to cancel with them to make it stop. I then found MFP and never looked back. It is so much easier to use, and is not covered in ads for all kinds of junk.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I heard they eat boiled bats and worship dead grass hoppers over there..
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: