not sure that i understand the 'net' figure? help please

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I walked 16.4kms- 22,000 steps yesterday which gave me and extra 700 calories. My TOTAL daily burn was 2,653.

This all per my fitbit. I'm set at lightly active
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    sue020369 wrote: »
    I don't know as that was what fitbit data sent over, I did a 5 mile walk

A 5 mile walk might be 277, but not 1277.

That's what I was thinking. Even 500 seems reasonable compared to 1200.

1200 seems just way to high.

But being a Fitbit adjustment it's not just for the walk it's for the day.

Op is this your first time using a fit bit? How big were the adjustment on previous days where you didn't go for a walk.
    Did the Fitbit adjustment come through automatically or did you enter it manually?

Yeah, the Fitbit thing does seem to throw a wrench into the works sometimes. :grin:
    Since the op is asking about net calories I suspect this is the first time using mfp or a fit bit.

My guess is that the op believes they are sedentary, set mfp to sedentary and now they have a Fitbit and according to the fit bit they are active.

So the large adjustment is say 300 calories for the walk they did and 900 adjustment from mfp sedentary setting to the fit bits active data.

If that makes sense.

So assuming they are in fact active and not sedentary, if they set mfp to active they would get much smaller adjustments.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    I don't know as that was what fitbit data sent over, I did a 5 mile walk

A 5 mile walk might be 277, but not 1277.

That's what I was thinking. Even 500 seems reasonable compared to 1200.

1200 seems just way to high.

But being a Fitbit adjustment it's not just for the walk it's for the day.

Op is this your first time using a fit bit? How big were the adjustment on previous days where you didn't go for a walk.
    Did the Fitbit adjustment come through automatically or did you enter it manually?

Yeah, the Fitbit thing does seem to throw a wrench into the works sometimes. :grin:
    Since the op is asking about net calories I suspect this is the first time using mfp or a fit bit.

My guess is that the op believes they are sedentary, set mfp to sedentary and now they have a Fitbit and according to the fit bit they are active.

So the large adjustment is say 300 calories for the walk they did and 900 adjustment from mfp sedentary setting to the fit bits active data.

If that makes sense.

So assuming they are in fact active and not sedentary, if they set mfp to active they would get much smaller adjustments.

You're probably right.

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Enable negative adjustments, hun.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I got an extra 819 calories yesterday from a 7.19 mile walk yesterday and some extra steps through the day. It sounds a bit off.

@Kimegatron - What's your activity level set to? How many steps did you get throughout your day to day activities (not including your walk)?

edit:

On Aug 27, I took 24, 537 steps.
    I have my MFP profile set to Sedentary (currently). MFP doesn't expect me to burn a whole lot based on that activity level. I received an 822 calories as an adjustment, because I burned 822 more calories than MFP expected me to that day.

Hm, it looks like their website has my miles different than on the app. My app says 7.19, but the dashboard on a computer shows 6.69. Either way, I was beat! Yesterday I was at 15,770 steps for a total of 8.78 miles yesterday, burning 2,928 cals total. Looks like my app is off. BAH! I am set at sedentary though. My walk was 10,400 steps, and I'm not sure if it's the same on my phone. I can't check because if I'm caught with my phone out at work, I will get thrown out of a window. Not literally... hopefully...

Hmm...another thought, do you have the ChargeHR or Surge? And did you do anything that the Fitbit couldn't detect your steps?

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I got an extra 819 calories yesterday from a 7.19 mile walk yesterday and some extra steps through the day. It sounds a bit off.

@Kimegatron - What's your activity level set to? How many steps did you get throughout your day to day activities (not including your walk)?

edit:

I have my MFP profile set to Sedentary (currently). MFP doesn't expect me to burn a whole lot based on that activity level. I received an 822 calories as an adjustment, because I burned 822 more calories than MFP expected me to that day.

Hm, it looks like their website has my miles different than on the app. My app says 7.19, but the dashboard on a computer shows 6.69. Either way, I was beat! Yesterday I was at 15,770 steps for a total of 8.78 miles yesterday, burning 2,928 cals total. Looks like my app is off. BAH! I am set at sedentary though. My walk was 10,400 steps, and I'm not sure if it's the same on my phone. I can't check because if I'm caught with my phone out at work, I will get thrown out of a window. Not literally... hopefully...

I wish! If it were that easy to burn nearly 3000 cal, I'd be underweight now. :smiley:

8.78 miles = 14 km

At 5 km/hour and thus burning approx. 200 cal per hour ... that's just shy of 3 hours worth of walking ... or approx. 600 cal burned.

Of course, this is all approximate ... none of these things is really 100% accurate, but it is a good idea to estimate a little on the low side when it comes to exercise ... especially when you're trying to lose weight.

No, lol, my total burn for the day was that much. If I burned that much on a walk I would die
  • Kimegatron
    Options

edit:

Hmm...another thought, do you have the ChargeHR or Surge? And did you do anything that the Fitbit couldn't detect your steps?

I have the zip. Nothing that would have not calculated steps.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that my burns have been pretty accurate. I even eating back my calories, and have lost 1-2 pounds a week. I'll have to tighten up my eating the closer to goal I get, I know that, but I'm enjoying the extra food now ha-ha
  • sue020369
    sue020369 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lol, no that was fitbits total for the day I guess? saying I burned 2800 all day (including just living) I didn't eat the extra calories though . thanks everyone, it was a bit misleading at the time, im happy to stick to about 1400 cals anyway x
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    lol, no that was fitbits total for the day I guess? saying I burned 2800 all day (including just living) I didn't eat the extra calories though . thanks everyone, it was a bit misleading at the time, im happy to stick to about 1400 cals anyway x

You provably could eat a little more than 1400 a day if you're regularly earning 1200 calories per day in adjustments, though.

I thought my numbers were a bit high, too, but I've been eating almost all of them back and still losing more weight per week than expected. It's also possible I'm overestimating on my meals. So if youre feeling hungrier some days, you probably can eat more and still be on goal for weight loss. Check your weekly calorie totals under nutrition- > calories, and set day view to show you the week rather than the day, and look at the net values displayed there.

Enjoy!

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—you can eat much more than 1,400 calories and still lose weight.

I ate back my Fitbit burns for two years, lost the weight, and kept it off. The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    I ate 1900 calories on Sunday, thanks to a super long walk. I did not mind :D