If you eat over your calories for the day, which do you do

Options
purplishblue
purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
A ) Carry the extra calories over to the next day, so that both days end up averaging out to the caloric amount you eat

B ) Say whatever, and just go back to eating at your caloric amount the next day

I'm trying to figure out which I want to do. Yesterday I ate over, so I just added it into today's amount. Kinda sucks though cause now I'm hungry :P Maybe that will help deter me from going over though in the future.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    A ) Carry the extra calories over to the next day, so that both days end up averaging out to the caloric amount you eat

B ) Say whatever, and just go back to eating at your caloric amount the next day

I'm trying to figure out which I want to do. Yesterday I ate over, so I just added it into today's amount. Kinda sucks though cause now I'm hungry :P Maybe that will help deter me from going over though in the future.

You can do whatever you feel comfortable with because it's your weeks end calories that really count.

I like to sometimes save calories up for a day when I know I will eat more.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You can do which ever suit you either A or B.....

Some just eat at a slightly higher deficit over the coming week to counteract the going over. Or.....

Brush off the splurge mentally, and move right along with continuing your road to get your goal.... realize that unless you overate by 3500 calories any gains you might see over the next days will be the result of extra sodium, water weight etc etc and move on....so don't panic about the scale going up......it will come down :D

...and Yeah definitely use the experience as a learning thing.

All the best.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    at least you logged it...some people don't and when they have a few of these days, they quit.
    Both suggestions are viable, and both accomplish the same thing.
    I wouldn't recommend being hungry though, you shouldn't eat that little if you are hungry....eat. One day will not derail everything.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I do both. Whatever I feel like at the time. My calorie goal is set on the low side during the week so I can eat a bit more on the weekend so I don't really sweat it either way.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    B. I might try to eat closer to my daily goal or not eat back exercise calories, but I don't like to feel like I have to make up for previous days or work my way out of a hole. High calorie days happen.. I think it's best to move on to the next.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ppl get a little to caught up in being in the red. Some days you will go over, provided it's not all the time and it's not by thousands of calories then you are likely still in a deficit.
    I look at it this way. I am on a 1lb a week loss so 500 cals a day is my deficit. If I'm in the red 250 cals I am still eating at a deficit. There are days where I have 50 or 100 left I don't go eat something just to get closer to 0. It all averages out.
    However that being said I've been doing this for 7 months and consistently losing so I don't worry about it as much. Early on its easy to feel like you screwed up by eating to much one day.
    Figure out a a system that works for you.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I usually just move onto the next day and let it go. I don't think I've ever gone above maintenance though in the past 7 months that I've been counting calories. If I have a day where I eat more, I usually do extra exercise to make up for it.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    B
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    as long as I'm trying I can't be perfect
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I exercise a little more, go for a walk or I eat less the next day
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    I exercise a little more, go for a walk or I eat less the next day

Yep.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat less the next day, I rarely overeat to such an extent that I can't make it up in one day, but if I do I just keep cutting calories until I've made up the difference. I only weigh myself once a week so as long as I've evened it out before my weigh in day I'm happy.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I concern myself with weekly calories instead. If I'm over one day I make up for it the other days. I don't carry over calories into another week. If I was over a lot that week I learn from it and figure out what went wrong and how I can fix it for next week. If I was under by a lot I assume I was sick cuz that never happens lol. If it was a small number over or under for the week no worries because it's hard to be exact.
  • Blake3693
    Blake3693 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same as what some of the others were commenting, do what feels best for you. For me, if I eat 1000 calories over my limit on Monday, for example, I'll lower my limit for the next three days by 350ish calories to balance it all out, & by the end of the week I'll be where I need to be.
  • torchita
    torchita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I over ate by 300 calories. An was wondering if it would balance out by the 500 calories I brined durrinh my work out fornthenday.. ?
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I exercise more that day. Today I overrate my calories. I am going to get up in a minute, and start marching in place. I may not exercise all my calories, but I will get some. I will also exercise more tomorrow.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    B. If I had a few over days in a row I'd end up having to starve/fast, then I'd end up hungry and bingeing. It tends to balance out naturally over a few days anyway.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'll suck up 150 calories. If it's over 150, I carry it.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    For me personally I just say "eh" and start new the next day. Anything involving trying to count those extras the next day seems like math to me and I hate math. ;) -- But seriously, I just start over the next day. I used to be the type who might say "okay, so I ate that whole pizza last night so I've fallen off the wagon so whatever, I'll just eat this large plate of pancakes this morning"... Then that's a downward spiral. So I think it's better to just log it and move on, knowing that we're always going to have some days where we're over. But in the end it's the trend down on the weight that's important. I've had pizza days and going-out-to-eat nights, and still my weight is dropping slowly since I started logging everything. That's what counts. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I've done both. it all balances out in the end.... (regardless, it pretty much always gets logged) LOL