Interminable question - working in "treats" in maintainence - do you do it? How do you do it?

ElJefeChief
ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
edited September 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I'm not technically in maintainence as I still have MFP set at a 0.5 pounds / week loss goal. However, it is a lot more liberal than when I was at 1.5 pounds per week (and I was hitting 1.75 / week besides). In a lot of ways, I'm getting used to what being in maintainence is like right now, I think. It's weird. So, here's what's going on...

I've been finding that with the exercise I do (I run daily) and with my calorie allotment where it is currently, I have a lot of "room" to work in food that's... well, not necessarily that "healthy" or "clean" (but just tastes damned good!!!)

I do still eat plenty of salads, fruit, fresh food, and I like my high-protein cereal in the morning, etc. ... so I think I do OK as far as macros are concerned (although I honestly don't spend much time worrying about it). But, lately, over the last week or so, I've been working in things like.... french fries. And Magnum ice cream bars. And chips here and there. Which is kinda nice... these are tasty treats I'm actually not accustomed to having. But I log them dutifully, I weigh whatever I can, and then... I eat, while staying within my allotment for the day as well. I haven't gone over my allotment for the last 2-3 weeks I've been doing this.

The funny thing is, it doesn't feel right. Like, I'm not supposed to be doing this. Or I'll pay for this somehow down the line. But that doesn't make sense, right? If I'm staying within my calorie allotment, and as long as I'm not grossly nutritionally deficient (e.g., I'm getting a basically balanced diet), and heck, if I exercise regularly as well - then who cares if I eat dessert every night and french fries a few times a week???

Does anyone get where I'm coming from? This isn't really a question about whether I'm literally doing something wrong, because I'm pretty sure (check my diary if you want), I'm doing this right. But it just FEELS wrong.... (although eating my treats feels right).

Anyways, just wanted to share this. I guess I'm just finding this whole being-skinny-but-eating-what-I-want-thing very strange.

Replies

• swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    I've been maintaining since April and I eat dessert every night (tonight I'm having strawberries and pineapple with ice cream PLUS some m&m's AND some fudge). I also eat out once or twice a week (I did that while losing too) and usually eat fries every time. These meals are definitely not logged accurately! However for this to work long-term for me, I can't cut out all my favourite foods. I love ice cream and can't imagine a life where I can't eat even a small amount of it every night. I just work it into my daily/weekly calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2015
    If they fit into your alloted calories then enjoy them, without any guilt. A little bit of what you fancy will never do you any harm. :smile:
    I've been maintaining for a few years, each and every day I will have a choccie treat/ a dessert/ crisps - sometimes all 3! Eat at maintenance calories means no weight gain regardless of what you choose to eat.

Some people have this mental attitude that certain foods are off limits. Its why most 'diet's fail, as we're only human and of course we'll go back to eating favourite foods. Its all about fitting these treats into your calories.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    don't deprive yourself of anything, as long it stays under your daily cals allowance

don't even consider them as treats, but as food that will be part of your balanced life

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Eat whatever you feel like eating!
    I couldn't wait to maintain so i could start eating Doughnuts and Chocolate again (without worrying about going over my alloted calories).
    As long as you're eating a nutritious balanced diet, you have nothing to worry about.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I know what you are dealing with. To make the progress you have made, you had to make sacrifices and took an 'all-in' approach. Now, even the smallest moments of imperfection you are being hard on yourself. In particular since you still stay in your caloric goals.
    I'm not trained in such matters of the mind but I think it comes from an unhealthy relationship with food. It was that way for me. I viewed individual items of food as good or bad, and took awhile to realize that you literally can eat anything you want and accomplish your goals. Food doesn't scare me now! Enjoy your treats, you deserve them!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I would actually argue that it's good for you to eat those foods and get used to eating them in appropriate amounts. It's good to "desensitize" yourself a little.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Considering that I sometimes get back from a bicycle ride and MyFitnessPal says, "3000 calories remaining," I'm not having any trouble fitting treats into maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I was eating those treats while losing. Nothing wrong with it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Does anyone get where I'm coming from?

Sure and it is perfectly understandable. The weight loss industry has relentlessly pumped out messages that suggest you must be perfect, it's all or nothing, dieting must be harsh and a battle over many years.

When you come to realise that it doesn't have to be any of those things there is a bit of "huh, really?" going on.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    scrittrice wrote: »
    I would actually argue that it's good for you to eat those foods and get used to eating them in appropriate amounts. It's good to "desensitize" yourself a little.

This is exactly how I looked at it, and still am, six months into maintenance. Sometimes I want that treat, and think of how I used to be twice my current size, and how I don't want to go back there. I see it the same way - "I'm going to pay for this in the future." I refused (most of the time still do) to eat the treat, and it sucks.

Lately, little by little I'm starting to work that kind of stuff back in (today I ate a whole Little Debbie Marshmallow pie), and went over. I felt like crap until I reminded myself constantly that most days I'm under my goal if not even. Even if I go over here and there... a hundred calories or two when most days goals are stuck to are not going to kill me (after 200 calories are still roughly 1/15th of a pound... it's going to take a of a lot of those days to be noticeable).

I couldn't think of what I'd call it before... "desensitization" really about describes it. It does require quite a bit of mental effort, OP, and from what I see on here, we are not alone, so don't fret. ;)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Sounds like you're doing it right.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    That's how I ate my entire time on MFP. I lost almost 100 pounds and have maintained that loss for two years now. Moderation is where it's at!
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    edited September 2015
    @Drenalg, as long as you are staying within your caloric goal. However, I will caution that you watch out for any abnormal weight gain during the process. For example if you eat treat at every meal, or once a day, cut back to maybe three or four days. Lastly, avoid eating dinner way too late at night, say after 6 or 7pm if you can avoid it. This is a quick way to sabotage your weight loss, because your metabolism starts to slow down during that time of the day. Use your best judgement. Remember eat in moderation. You live to eat not eat to live. All the best, stay focus and enjoy every moment.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Congrats on your progress so far, and sounds like you are doing everything right. Many people "diet" for so long, maintenance can be a mind game. Foods should not be off-limits, but many people have to greatly limit certain foods for so long because they can't work them into their daily goals. Switching to maintenance or a smaller deficit, allows more room. Work on accepting that the foods you add in are not going to hurt your progress in any way.

Keep it up!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Yup, sounds like you've got it down solid.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Your feelings sound like a hangover from the "if you gained weight you are naughty" mindset. Sure, it's better to eat the bulk of your calories from nutrient dense foods.

But life is not about ascetic deprivation. That may work for the Eat This, Not That blogger, but I would rather have the real thing in small portions than a mediocre substitute.

I go out for Fancy Tea every month. If I have the calories for it, I have a piece of cake at night. Sometimes I have a piece of cake if it will send me <100 over the goal for the day. Some days I eat as much at dinner as is recommended for the full day, and go over the daily goal by 1000 calories or more.

Life is for living, not DIEting. :| Corny, but it works.

Down 50 pounds for the year, and 80 pounds over 15 months.

YMMV.
  • PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    I've been in maintenance since March. The biggest thing that MFP helped me get on top of was portion control. Throughout my weight loss phase, I ate everything I wanted to but adjusted my portions so they would fit into my calorie goals. I've done the same with maintenance but with 620 more calories a day that I can consume it leaves more room for treats and I enjoy every one.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I ate all of those "bad" (I do not believe foods are good or bad) foods while losing weight. Daily. I just had them in small amounts that fit within my calorie goal. I still eat them daily, and I've maintained my weight loss for 3-1/2 years.
    LoveIshie wrote: »
    @Drenalg, as long as you are staying within your caloric goal. However, I will caution that you watch out for any abnormal weight gain during the process. For example if you eat treat at every meal, or once a day, cut back to maybe three or four days. Lastly, avoid eating dinner way too late at night, say after 6 or 7pm if you can avoid it. This is a quick way to sabotage your weight loss, because your metabolism starts to slow down during that time of the day.Use your best judgement. Remember eat in moderation. You live to eat not eat to live. All the best, stay focus and enjoy every moment.
    The timing of meals has no affect on weight loss/maintenance. Time your meals to fit your preferences and performance goals. I eat late most of the time.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    I ate all of those "bad" (I do not believe foods are good or bad) foods while losing weight. Daily. I just had them in small amounts that fit within my calorie goal. I still eat them daily, and I've maintained my weight loss for 3-1/2 years.
    LoveIshie wrote: »
    @Drenalg, as long as you are staying within your caloric goal. However, I will caution that you watch out for any abnormal weight gain during the process. For example if you eat treat at every meal, or once a day, cut back to maybe three or four days. Lastly, avoid eating dinner way too late at night, say after 6 or 7pm if you can avoid it. This is a quick way to sabotage your weight loss, because your metabolism starts to slow down during that time of the day.Use your best judgement. Remember eat in moderation. You live to eat not eat to live. All the best, stay focus and enjoy every moment.
    The timing of meals has no affect on weight loss/maintenance. Time your meals to fit your preferences and performance goals. I eat late most of the time.

I am up from roughly 7am to 11pm, and eat about 80% of my calories for the day after 1pm. A good 25% of them after 8pm. I lost nearly 50 pounds over 11 months and have maintained it since Christmas. A good way to sabotage myself is to not save any calories for the evening when I get hungry and nibbly.

• becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    I'm not at maintenance at all but I really enjoyed your post. I would add to that you should eat these food as apart of your balanced diet as long as you FEEL good. If I eat anything high sugar I get very groggy and just don't feel well. I generally feel better if I still with whole/clean foods and only eat sweets at a party/eating out. I am a good addict though too, so if I eat a fudge pop every night - even if it is 40 cal. I start to crave it every night and things go downhill... :)