1200 or 1500??

Options
2»

Replies

• avilancaster871
    avilancaster871 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Let's not lose sight of the fact that OP is a shorty at 5ft1in so actually 1200 isn't scary low. I'm 5'3" and mfp has me on 1390 to lose 0.5lb a week.

OP I bet you find if you reduce the amount you want to lose per week to 1lb you will find MFP still has you at 1200 because it won't go lower than that. This means that your 2lbs per week will not be achieved in a healthy way.

When I change to loose 1lb as u suggested it ups my cals to 1520 a day.....
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do 1500 and see what happens. If you lose, then yay, stick with it! And be happy with more food.
    Eat back only half of the exercise calories though.
    At 5'1" you should lose easily on 1500 I think. My 5'0" non-athletic female friend lost on an average of 1500ish a day. You are also a year younger than her so it should be close.

What happens to your goal if you call yourself lightly active at 2lb a week?
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ah good to know (could be due to your current weight, I only have about 25-30lbs to lose to get to ideal weight for height).

Maybe start with 1lb a week then until you get your eating habits reforming, then switch it to 2lbs so its not such a shock to your body.

As you have only just started you will also probably notice you drop 5-8lbs in the month quite quick. This is water weight, and is in no way going to continue at that rate. It's not you doing anything wrong, its just how it is. Your weight will also fluctuate around your period and if you have just started exercise you won't drop weight straight away.

The take away message is keep doing what you do; eating, weighing, exercising for a minimum of three months before you can say your body has settled and you can start to watch your weight loss in a more predictable manner.

*wall of text crits you for 1337 damage!* :)

Good luck! :)
  • avilancaster871
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Do 1500 and see what happens. If you lose, then yay, stick with it! And be happy with more food.
    At 5'1" you should lose easily on 1500 I think. My 5'0" non-athletic female friend lost on an average of 1500ish a day.

Changing to lightly active only puts my calls up by 80 a day? :neutral: at the moment I eat the whole 1200 plus half by burnt cals and that's a min of 200 a day so that's 1400 in total if I do the min amount of exercise some days I do more and eat more lol x
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Let's not lose sight of the fact that OP is a shorty at 5ft1in so actually 1200 isn't scary low. I'm 5'3" and mfp has me on 1390 to lose 0.5lb a week.

OP I bet you find if you reduce the amount you want to lose per week to 1lb you will find MFP still has you at 1200 because it won't go lower than that. This means that your 2lbs per week will not be achieved in a healthy way.

When I change to loose 1lb as u suggested it ups my cals to 1520 a day.....

What goal did you put into Scooby? If you put in 2 lbs/ week in MFP, it would subtract 1000 cals from your estimated NEAT maintenance level, but not go below 1200. When you changed it to 1 lb/week, and it gave you 1520/day - that means MFP thinks your NEAT maintenance is actually 2020 cals. Scooby says 1964, so those are not that far off. However, your calorie goal in the screen shot above from Scooby says 1571, which is your TDEE-20%.

I think the numbers are closer than you think, if you have your goals aligned between both systems.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    hey I started this 4 days ago and this app told me to eat the 1200 cals a day as I have been plus half of my burnt cals... That scooby link told me i should be eating 1500? Also went the docs today and they said it's unhealthy to eat the 1200 and should be having the 1500? What should I do stick to the 1200 or go with the 1500? I have 6 stone to loose in total and have my fitness level set to sedentary and wanting to loose 2lb week... Im 5ft1 if that makes a diffrence? Before diet I was consuming a lot of calories as was drinking fizzy all day and eating crap a lot basically .. Thanks x

Just learn to eat great food and enjoy it. Fast once in awhile. Just don't eat crap food. Most of us know what crap food is. Learn about that. The number should never drop below 1000 or above 2000. Your body will handle it if you eat 1500 calories. It depends on your activity, weight gain and age. If you are not gaining or losing, you know your maintenance number. If you want to lose, make sure you are cutting a bit and being more active.

Why do you have to fast? I don't know what crap food is, can you elaborate? I agree the number shouldn't drop below 1000, but why not exceed 2000? I'm a 5'2 female and my TDEE is ~2200. If I'm trying to maintain, why do I need to eat less than 2000?

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    At 5'1" you should lose easily on 1500 I think. My 5'0" non-athletic female friend lost on an average of 1500ish a day.

Changing to lightly active only puts my calls up by 80 a day? :neutral: at the moment I eat the whole 1200 plus half by burnt cals and that's a min of 200 a day so that's 1400 in total if I do the min amount of exercise some days I do more and eat more lol x

I think you could try 1500 plus half exercise though (so avg of closer to 1700 including exercise). It doesn't hurt to try it for a week or two and see what happens. Now I would recommend making sure to count "classic" exercise... so not things like cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc. Just things you didn't used to do that you now do like running or gym time or DVDs or whatever it may be.

The only reason I'd say not to try it is if you usually estimate your food amounts instead of weighing them. Since then a lower calorie intake would give you a bit of margin for error. If you're someone who weighs 99% of the food and measures the liquids, then 1500 seems like it would work. To me. It's up to you though :) How comfortable are you on 1200? At your height, I agree with someone above that 1200 isn't unsafe.

That's weird about the lightly active. I'm guessing MFP is calculating your actual recommended amount as less than 1200 but it will not let it go lower than 1200. So it's adding the lightly active calories to whatever that lower number is.

I've heard a lot of people find MFP's "lightly active" more representative when they classify themselves as "sedentary", even for desk jobs. I know that is the case for me as well.

Another reason I think 1500 would work for you is I think you have a bit more to lose than she did (don't quote me there, I don't actually know her starting weight). So that actually should make it possible for you to eat a bit more than she did and still lose at the same rate (possibly a little quicker even).

I probably rambled too much there.

TLDR: May as well see what eating min 1500 cals would do for a week. And take note of how you feel while doing it. I think it would work well for you based on my sample size of 1.
  • avilancaster871
    Options
    Ah good to know (could be due to your current weight, I only have about 25-30lbs to lose to get to ideal weight for height).

Maybe start with 1lb a week then until you get your eating habits reforming, then switch it to 2lbs so its not such a shock to your body.

As you have only just started you will also probably notice you drop 5-8lbs in the month quite quick. This is water weight, and is in no way going to continue at that rate. It's not you doing anything wrong, its just how it is. Your weight will also fluctuate around your period and if you have just started exercise you won't drop weight straight away.

The take away message is keep doing what you do; eating, weighing, exercising for a minimum of three months before you can say your body has settled and you can start to watch your weight loss in a more predictable manner.

I have 6 stone to loose so probably why it's set me at that then haha and thanks I will do :) have cut out all crap junk food as was eating that a lot also cut out fizzy as was drinking that all day and gone on to water so should loose something haha have started exercising aswell ! I hope I notice a difference as get down hearted when I don't lol but only been on for 4 days so not worried at the moment
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    [quote="Mistraal1981;33847725"

Good luck! :)[/quote]

+50 Nerd Cred
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    [quote="Mistraal1981;33847725"

+50 Nerd Cred[/quote]

:blush: do I get extra credit for admitting that when I accidentally pull I always blame the nearest gnome?
  • TeganValladares
    Options
    Hello Im new to all of this.. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer back in april and now am cancer free but have gained alot of weight.. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Im execersing and only consuming 1200 although my nutritionist said that counting carbs are more important than counting calories . Thanks :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hello Im new to all of this.. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer back in april and now am cancer free but have gained alot of weight.. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? Im execersing and only consuming 1200 although my nutritionist said that counting carbs are more important than counting calories . Thanks :)

You might want to start your own thread, so people can target their advice to you.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I agree with WBB55, you should start your own thread, but if your nutritionist is not a Registered Dietian I would make sure you find one and get a diet tailored to your medical needs rather than gereric advice from someone of suspect credentials. Anyone can call themselves a "nutrtionist" but only a RD can perscribe a diet for medical issues.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 1500 calories and ignore exercise calories. Takes some of the guess work out when it comes to calculating calorie burns.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If a medical professional told me to eat 1500, I'd go with that over any free website. It's probably not going to be a whole lot different than 1200 + exercise calories anyway.
  • nakiab808
    nakiab808 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aloha. I had kidney cancer, its gone and I'm gonna make sure it doesn't come back by eating healthy and making good lifestyle choices. I have lost 40 lbs since my surgery. I've had no chemo or radiation. All through hard work and clean eating.

I think 1200 is way too low and i think 1500 is a little low as well. I go for 2000. You may not have enough energy to get through your day and feel good with 1200 and 1500. The whole process depends on you feeling good and nutrition is an important part and having adequate calories as well.

I'm not a dietitian and you should go with what your dietitian says. Are you on any kind of restrictions if not then just make good choices when eating and exercise.

Good luck and stay strong