jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is far better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    owensy12 wrote: »
    Those were just a few links from Google. I've just read a lot of stuff about Artificial Sweetener. I personally don't drink any 'diet' drinks. If they don't contain sugar to make them taste sweet, then what the hell do they contain? Plus there's evidence to suggest that when you taste the sweet in diet soda, your body perceives it as sugar and causes the pancreas to release insulin just as it would if you were consuming actual sugar.

It's just my opinion.

You get your own opinions but not your own facts. If diet soda did this, then doctors would not be recommending it to their diabetic patients. Unless you are a person who has some sort of adverse reaction to diet soda, it's fine to drink it in normal quantities. I would not recommend 16-18 as mentioned above. :laugh:

Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Boyland's Grape going down nicely reading this thread. OMG. . . .with pure Cane Sugar. . . . . .
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I drank a 2 liter Coca cola a day for years and then stopped. I have no cravings for it and am glad that I don't drink that anymore,. I drink water.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I like Coke Zero, but I loathe Diet Coke. It tastes of nothing and is full of crap (so is Coke Zero mind).

What's it full of? Sweetner, water, caffeine?

Artificial Sweetener.

http://msmorphosis.com/diet-soda
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2541178/Does-Diet-Coke-make-FAT-Sugar-free-fizzy-drinks-make-people-eat-food.html
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/03/04/is-diet-coke-bad-for-you-what-about-artificial-sweeteners/

fozzie-facepalm.gif

Lulz.....dailymail as a reference.
    If you turned in a paper with a daily mail reference or quote I would hope that you would get an automatic fail, that's like sourcing the national enquirer, and we all know big foot and his alien bride do more fact checking :D

I actually like coke zero quite well, I use it for rum and coke when my husband and I do burger night. I do prefer it to diet coke, I think there is a taste difference, but I'm pretty congenial and I'll drink whatever. 99% of the time I just drink water though :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever have Coke Light? It's not available in the US but I love it when traveling in other countries. Coke zero is my coke of choice here at home.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Those were just a few links from Google. I've just read a lot of stuff about Artificial Sweetener. I personally don't drink any 'diet' drinks. If they don't contain sugar to make them taste sweet, then what the hell do they contain? Plus there's evidence to suggest that when you taste the sweet in diet soda, your body perceives it as sugar and causes the pancreas to release insulin just as it would if you were consuming actual sugar.

It's just my opinion.

You get your own opinions but not your own facts. If diet soda did this, then doctors would not be recommending it to their diabetic patients. Unless you are a person who has some sort of adverse reaction to diet soda, it's fine to drink it in normal quantities. I would not recommend 16-18 as mentioned above. :laugh:

Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well.

tumblr_n34ntq5ugZ1qdqllqo1_500.gif
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Diet soda contain a chemical called aspartame. It doesn't take much research on this chemical to realise that it isn't good for you. No sodas or diet sodas are good for you, they contain no nutritional value!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ... If diet soda did this, then doctors would not be recommending it to their diabetic patients.....Doctors used to recommend cigarettes as well.

....until empirical evidence came in. Uncontrolled sugar/insulin has such an immediate and obvious effect on the patient, if diet sodas did this we'd know by now.

My late father in law had two low blood sugar moments on my watch. We called 9-1-1 both times, and an intravenous of pure glucose revived him immediately. Because the impact of glucose on a diabetic in insulin shock is well-known. I can promise you that a shot of aspartame would have done nothing.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Diet soda contain a chemical called aspartame. It doesn't take much research on this chemical to realise that it isn't good for you. No sodas or diet sodas are good for you, they contain no nutritional value!

So no more drinking of the water?!?!?!?!?

• lornacatherine91
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Totally missing the point. Consumption of water is essential for your health as the body is about 60% water. Perhaps people should drink more water and just forget about soda. It's not necessary.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Totally missing the point. Consumption of water is essential for your health as the body is about 60% water. Perhaps people should drink more water and just forget about soda. It's not necessary.

Okay, thanks for that. . .so if I lose 10 pounds 6 of it is soda? Or water? And yes, I'm teasing you. If we start down the road of necessary we end at a road called MFP dead man's cliff. Enjoy the soda or don't.

• jgnatca
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Technically no food is "necessary" but for various reasons, I add my soy sauce, my cocoa, my cinnamon, my ginger, my pepper, and my garlic to foods. No reason to write them off altogether just because they aren't "necessary".

Aspartame has been tested above and beyond. It does no harm to the body. Aspirin is more harmful.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Technically no food is "necessary" but for various reasons, I add my soy sauce, my cocoa, my cinnamon, my ginger, my pepper, and my garlic to foods. No reason to write them off altogether just because they aren't "necessary".

Aspartame has been tested above and beyond. It does no harm to the body. Aspirin is more harmful.

Exactly. And just because something isn't "good" for doesn't mean it's therefore "bad" for you. It doesn't do anything except taste good for zero calories.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

I had cardamom on coffee cake tonight; I hope it was necessary.
  • lornacatherine91
    Options
    Lol, I'm done here folks, just trying to give some advise. Drink/eat what you please if you feel it's good for you and your weight loss goals.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Here I am celebrating achieving under 200 pounds.
    IMG_2118-MOTION.gif

Aspartame all the way, baby.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Here I am celebrating achieving under 200 pounds.
    IMG_2118-MOTION.gif

Aspartame all the way, baby.

Woo Hoo! Awesome J!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Anyone ever have Coke Light? It's not available in the US but I love it when traveling in other countries. Coke zero is my coke of choice here at home.

Coke light is just Diet Coke. =/

Coca-Cola-Light.jpg
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

What about aspartame is not good for you?

You do know that it's simply a modified protein, right?

There has been an abundance of empirical research on it. Nothing has panned out showing it be harmful in general (the exception being those with sensitivity or PKU). The articles stating all the horrors aren't backed up by any research. I could do a bit of online browsing and find some websites claiming everything revolves around the earth. Doesn't make it true, though.