Need some input for fiancé!

Options
Alright guys, I need some help. My fiancé has always been a bigger guy, but it seems he just keeps getting bigger & bigger and it's really starting to bother him. He's 375 pounds.... He's also 6'5", which adds to it, and farms.. So he has lots of muscle mass. I've noticed his mood change from happy & funny to sad, depressed & stressed out. He's tried Plan Z several times & it works while he's on it, but says it makes him really sick & he blacks out because he loses weight so fast. (He lost 30 pounds in one week- NOT kidding- no wonder he blacked out!) He also has absolutely no time for working out because he works all day and then has chores & other farm work to do at night. ANY advice on how to get him to a healthier weight and lifestyle would be TRULY appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    He works out every day. He just needs to reduce his calories a bit. Is he ready to log all his foods for a while?
  • shelbik28
    shelbik28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    He works out every day. He just needs to reduce his calories a bit. Is he ready to log all his foods for a while?

I've asked him that same question. He said it'd be a good idea but he gets so busy, especially with harvest coming up, that he makes up excuses saying he will forget. He's just like me before I started losing. He wants to lose but has no motivation.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    get a treadmill In your house and have him power walk 1/2 a day.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Welp, that about covers it. Do you have time to help him log, or are you also helping with the chores?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    get his eating under control. He can fine tune with exercise when he sees results.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take a lot of time to weigh food and log it. He can do that while he's preparing it and eating it. He has to stop working to do that anyway. Time for excuses is over if he wants to lose the weight. Buy a food scale and start weighing and logging. Stick to the calorie deficit and the weight will come off.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    get a treadmill In your house and have him power walk 1/2 a day.

Yeah, not necessary. OP already said he's working quite a bit during the day. Extra exercise is not necessary. Working out is not the problem, eating too much is the problem.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    It doesn't take a lot of time to weigh food and log it. He can do that while he's preparing it and eating it. He has to stop working to do that anyway. Time for excuses is over if he wants to lose the weight. Buy a food scale and start weighing and logging. Stick to the calorie deficit and the weight will come off.

All of that... Plus, I round up calories from processed foods and just put down that number on a dry erase board on my fridge. I figure out the cal for what I eat and log just the number into quick add calories at the end of the day. None of it takes long. Until I need to tighten up my macros and cal. deficit, I'll be doing this. It works for me and I'm pretty lazy but 53 lbs lighter with 44 more to go... Find out what his TDEE is and make him eat at a deficit. The rest will work itself...

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If he's working on a farm all day more exercise isn't the answer. He just needs to moderate his eating. Is that something you can help him with? Plan his meals for him with you doing the logging and counting for him? Basically like Jenny Craig but you're Jenny....
  • shelbik28
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good ideas! I'll have to work on portion sizes with him & help him with healthier food choices. I'm sure if he's eating a cup of pasta vs 2 plates full of pasta it's going to make a huge difference.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    shelbik28 wrote: »
    Good ideas! I'll have to work on portion sizes with him & help him with healthier food choices. I'm sure if he's eating a cup of pasta vs 2 plates full of pasta it's going to make a huge difference.

It definitely will. If he's a volume eater, and still wants a full plate of food in front of him, fill the rest of the plate with low calorie vegetables. Just make sure he's not slathering them with high calorie sauces or butters.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is to help him make small changes one at time, rather than have him try to eat "right" or "perfectly." This helped me enormously. Over time, the little changes lead to big weight loss. Are there some lower calorie foods that he can swap out for a few higher calorie items. Addressing mindless eating if that's a problem for him is helpful too - e.g., no snacking in front of the TV or only eating measured snacks while watching TV. Perhaps he could start tracking or weighing some things, if not everything. I started by tracking my meals and gradually tracked other foods. Although, I might have done better by starting with snacks because that's where I was consuming a large number of less healthy calories :-) Good luck to you both!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    Another suggestion is to help him make small changes one at time, rather than have him try to eat "right" or "perfectly." This helped me enormously. Over time, the little changes lead to big weight loss. Are there some lower calorie foods that he can swap out for a few higher calorie items. Addressing mindless eating if that's a problem for him is helpful too - e.g., no snacking in front of the TV or only eating measured snacks while watching TV. Perhaps he could start tracking or weighing some things, if not everything. I started by tracking my meals and gradually tracked other foods. Although, I might have done better by starting with snacks because that's where I was consuming a large number of less healthy calories :-) Good luck to you both!

Yeah, he doesn't have to eat right or perfectly, at all. Or swap out foods. All he has to do is eat less of the foods he's eating now. Smaller portions, fewer calories.
  • shelbik28
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

Love this idea!
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about tracking - 1/4 plate lean protein, 1/4 plate carbs, 1/2 plate vegetables. Water only (no other drinks) & black coffee only. Stop eating processed food. Focus on 5 serves of veg & 2 serves of fruit a day and while aiming to get that he'll lose weight. If he wants a treat make it SMALL and a snack after he's eaten a real meal so that he's full and isn't likely to continue eating afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

I've asked him that same question. He said it'd be a good idea but he gets so busy, especially with harvest coming up, that he makes up excuses saying he will forget. He's just like me before I started losing. He wants to lose but has no motivation.
    Well if I'm going to be blunt......................he really doesn't want to lose. Because if he REALLY did, he would do it. There's desire and then there's commitment. He needs commitment and that's only going to come from him.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I think your last sentence captures the essence of the problem.

Logging food takes 5-10 mins per day.

To hold 375 lbs, with a very active day, he's taking in a lot of calories. Even if he doesn't log, if he cuts back on portions, cuts back on snacking, and cuts back on liquid calories (colas, beer, etc), he could see some big changes with little effort.

But he has to find a bit of motivation, or it isn't going to happen.

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options

If you are the one making the food, possibly you could assist him in this. I make the food in our house so my wife eats what I eat and that way I can sort of monitorl her food intake when I log my own meals.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your fiance is lucky to have such a caring partner :)

First of all, this doesn't have to be complicated. He is already active in his job so I wouldn't worry too much about him introducing new exercises at this point. All he needs to do is eat at a healthy deficit and he'll lose weight - at a HEALTHY rate! Input his details into MFP and it'll work out what he needs to be eating calorie-wise.

Get him into the habit of tracking if possible. Even writing down what he eats during the day and working it all out at home. He can totally do this!
  • paulvmax
    paulvmax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If he is a farm hand he shouldn't need to work out. I helped out on a farm a few years back for 6 weeks it was hard tough work. lifting digging walking carrying. He just need to reduce his input of food.