• mitasuri
    mitasuri Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running on road makes
    Me little nervous
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid to run on the road? You know the 5k is held on a road.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    mitasuri wrote: »

What kind of full meals to you
    Take ???

ammo7 wrote: »
    mitasuri wrote: »
    Maybe your right I need to lose weight first then focus on 5 k.... Iam so confused on where to start what workout to do???? What to eat??? So new to all this and plus this aap is not accurate on some things

To lose weight, the fundamental thing you need to do is to eat at a caloric deficit; you don't need to worry about the "right" foods to eat. Working out is a bonus for your health, and a fun thing to do, but you don't need to worry about the "right" workout.

This means that once you've input your stats (height, weight etc.) into MFP and chosen a goal (e.g. 0.5 lb per week weight loss - be realistic if you don't have much to lose) you just need to eat the number of calories that it tells you to eat each day. You can choose whatever foods you like; I personally like to eat lots of volume of foods to feel full, so I usually choose to eat many low-calorie meals each day. You can choose to eat what you want, when you want - as long as you eat the right number of calories. Log everything you eat and drink. It's best to use a kitchen scale to weigh your foods so that you can be accurate in your logging.

Stick to MFP and you will lose weight - it will take some time, but it will be a consistent and healthy weight loss. Good luck with your goals :)

It depends on how lazy I'm feeling about preparing food! For example, I just had a quick 'lunch' that was only 100 calories - it was 65 grams of reheated chicken, 65 grams of spinach and 50 grams of cucumber slices. This is a big plate of food, for a tiny amount of calories.
    There is a section of the forums all about food - you should check it out for inspiration :)
    Truly, you can eat whatever you want as long as you are careful with the portion sizes. Pick a meal that you would usually eat, then log it to see how many calories it would be. If it's more calories than you can fit into your goal, make it less calories by eating half of it (for example) or removing/substituting a high-calorie ingredient (e.g. cooking with less oil)
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I'm 5'2" and when I was in my 30's I could lose 2# per week. I did it by eating about 1400 calories a day and exercising at least 1/2 hour a day, but I was also very active, worked full time in a job that required a lot of walking, took care of 5 kids and cooked and cleaned when home. Unfortunately I put that weight back on because I didn't build a healthy lifestyle, and now, in my late 60's I have 30#s to lose and am lucky to lose .5#s per week. The point of this story is, don't fixate on losing weight to just lose weight! Take some time and do some research and figure out how to eat and exercise to maintain your health. It doesn't have to be fancy, 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetable, protein(you know, eggs, meat, milk & cheese, beans) and some whole grains. Log everyday and try to get the amounts of macros mfp recommends, and try to stay within the calorie guidelines. Then add some exercise, walking, biking, going to the gym for some weight training. You need fuel to build muscle and thats what you need, whether you are planning to run a 5k, or not, so don't try to cut too many calories, eat back some of those exercise calories. You will lose weight slowly but you will also build muscle so you will look better sooner than you would if you just lost weight. Before you know you will have some good habits and look and feel great. Good luck! :);):o:p
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft, and when I was about 170 lbs, I ran a 5k and was fine. At that point, I was actively losing weight and had lost about 20 lbs. It's about endurance, and getting your body to be able to run. If you want to do the 5k, you will regardless of your weight. I can say that by training for the 5k, you will lose. For me, the running, and eating at a deficit was the quintessential piece that helped me lose. I know that when I first started eating at a deficit, and exercising more, I did lose the first 20 fairly quickly, but I was starting at a higher weight.

I suggest making it easy on yourself in terms of meal prep. For me, it was about using a portion of Sundays to make a huge pot of soup for the week for lunches, packing things the night before for lunches and for exercise, eating a salad with dinner, so that no matter what else I had, I was starting with that. Weighing and measuring is key, and knowing what you are putting in your body.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @Mitasuri, I can send to your MFP inbox a workout regiment training for running to follow if you are interested. As far as meal, you have to stick to the MFP recommended caloric intake per day. In general, I will recommend high protein, low carbs diet. But if you have to eat carbs go for whole grain. As for rice, if you see enriched or bleached o the package, that means it is processed so don't buy it.

Bottom line, at your weight you can train for a 5k and be able to finish. You don't dont need to lose weight to run/prepare for a 5k. Your focu & challenges here is aerobic/physical endurance. You will probably lose some weight during your training, but probably wont be able to meet your 20lb goal by November. So you've got to choose (5K or lose weight). It can't be both. Maybe after the race you can focus on weight loss.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Why are people telling OP she can't lose weight and train for a 5K at the same time? It isn't difficult to log your calories and follow a training app. I am just one of countless people who have done just that.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bringon30 wrote: »
    Why are people telling OP she can't lose weight and train for a 5K at the same time? It isn't difficult to log your calories and follow a training app. I am just one of countless people who have done just that.

I did it too! I've lost 25 pounds over 6 months while doing couch to 5k. I eat at a deficit. I eat what I want within my calorie limits. I eat more on my run days - yay! I cheat sometimes. I'm "good" most times. I started 65 pounds overweight and am older/menopausal. So if I can do it OP probably can too. (Although probably not 20 pounds by November)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    reality will hurt when it hits you.

Follow the app, and also look into the C25K you'll find it very useful.

Good luck
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bringon30 wrote: »

I did it too! I've lost 25 pounds over 6 months while doing couch to 5k. I eat at a deficit. I eat what I want within my calorie limits. I eat more on my run days - yay! I cheat sometimes. I'm "good" most times. I started 65 pounds overweight and am older/menopausal. So if I can do it OP probably can too. (Although probably not 20 pounds by November)

I agree with not 20 pounds by November!
  • mitasuri
    Options

Yes can you please send that to me everything is so helpful
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why are you afraid to run on the road? You know the 5k is held on a road.
    LoveIshie wrote: »
    @Mitasuri, I can send to your MFP inbox a workout regiment training for running to follow if you are interested. As far as meal, you have to stick to the MFP recommended caloric intake per day. In general, I will recommend high protein, low carbs diet. But if you have to eat carbs go for whole grain. As for rice, if you see enriched or bleached o the package, that means it is processed so don't buy it.

Bottom line, at your weight you can train for a 5k and be able to finish. You don't dont need to lose weight to run/prepare for a 5k. Your focu & challenges here is aerobic/physical endurance. You will probably lose some weight during your training, but probably wont be able to meet your 20lb goal by November. So you've got to choose (5K or lose weight). It can't be both. Maybe after the race you can focus on weight loss.

• mitasuri
    Options
    I am 5'1 157 lbs o don't work but have 2 small kids so Iam busy with them plus cooking and cleaning ... I want to lose 2 lbs per week but just thinking to eat all those calories even if I bumped it up to 1200 I don't want my body to hold on to those food

How old are you? I'm 5'2" and when I was in my 30's I could lose 2# per week. I did it by eating about 1400 calories a day and exercising at least 1/2 hour a day, but I was also very active, worked full time in a job that required a lot of walking, took care of 5 kids and cooked and cleaned when home. Unfortunately I put that weight back on because I didn't build a healthy lifestyle, and now, in my late 60's I have 30#s to lose and am lucky to lose .5#s per week. The point of this story is, don't fixate on losing weight to just lose weight! Take some time and do some research and figure out how to eat and exercise to maintain your health. It doesn't have to be fancy, 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetable, protein(you know, eggs, meat, milk & cheese, beans) and some whole grains. Log everyday and try to get the amounts of macros mfp recommends, and try to stay within the calorie guidelines. Then add some exercise, walking, biking, going to the gym for some weight training. You need fuel to build muscle and thats what you need, whether you are planning to run a 5k, or not, so don't try to cut too many calories, eat back some of those exercise calories. You will lose weight slowly but you will also build muscle so you will look better sooner than you would if you just lost weight. Before you know you will have some good habits and look and feel great. Good luck! :);):o:p

• jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    this is not true... I've already lost 13 lbs eating right and mainly using an eliptical for my cardio. You just have to make sure that you put it on a challenging level, not just cruising through the workout.

[/quote]

You need to run on the road. Elliptical ain't gonna cut it.[/quote]

• mitasuri
    Options

What does it mean by eating at deficit ????
    kathyk519 wrote: »
    I am 5ft, and when I was about 170 lbs, I ran a 5k and was fine. At that point, I was actively losing weight and had lost about 20 lbs. It's about endurance, and getting your body to be able to run. If you want to do the 5k, you will regardless of your weight. I can say that by training for the 5k, you will lose. For me, the running, and eating at a deficit was the quintessential piece that helped me lose. I know that when I first started eating at a deficit, and exercising more, I did lose the first 20 fairly quickly, but I was starting at a higher weight.

I suggest making it easy on yourself in terms of meal prep. For me, it was about using a portion of Sundays to make a huge pot of soup for the week for lunches, packing things the night before for lunches and for exercise, eating a salad with dinner, so that no matter what else I had, I was starting with that. Weighing and measuring is key, and knowing what you are putting in your body.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jaywirth88 wrote: »
    this is not true... I've already lost 13 lbs eating right and mainly using an eliptical for my cardio. You just have to make sure that you put it on a challenging level, not just cruising through the workout.

You need to run on the road. Elliptical ain't gonna cut it.[/quote]

[/quote]

Think she meant for training for a race.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

You need to run on the road. Elliptical ain't gonna cut it.

[/quote]

Think she meant for training for a race. [/quote]

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant. The elliptical is no way to train for a road race. Even a treadmill is no comparison to running on a road.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1. Input all your stats in to MFP and set weight loss at 0.5lb or 1lb. You don't have a lot to lose so it's better to set a realistic number, you didn't gain the weight in 2 months, so don't expect it to just go in 2 months.
    2. Buy yourself a set of electronic scales
    3. Weigh everything you eat, this includes measuring any oils etc (don't use cup/tablespoons)
    4. Log everything you have eaten, use the weight for most accuracy.
    5. Make sure you are eating the number of calories MFP has suggested you eat for the weight loss selected in 1
    6. If you exercise eat back 50% of the number MFP tells you you burnt, unless you have a heart rate monitor. At which point you can eat back the number of calories your heart rate monitor told you you burnt.
    7. Repeat 3 - 6 until you are at your desired weight

For the 5k, Google c25k. Follow the plan and just do the 5k, finishing times don't really matter on your first 5k just completing it is enough of a high. Worry about doing it quickly later.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

You need to run on the road. Elliptical ain't gonna cut it.

Think she meant for training for a race. [/quote]

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant. The elliptical is no way to train for a road race. Even a treadmill is no comparison to running on a road.[/quote]

Treadmill is perfectly acceptable alternative to running on the road. Put a 1% incline if you so wish to compensate for wind resistance. It is no where near as much fun but it's fine to use if you are scared or don't want to run outside.
  • mitasuri
    Options

What does caloric defict mean??? And what is point of eating back calories I just burned off??!

ote="FatMoojor;33865838"]1. Input all your stats in to MFP and set weight loss at 0.5lb or 1lb. You don't have a lot to lose so it's better to set a realistic number, you didn't gain the weight in 2 months, so don't expect it to just go in 2 months.
    2. Buy yourself a set of electronic scales
    3. Weigh everything you eat, this includes measuring any oils etc (don't use cup/tablespoons)
    4. Log everything you have eaten, use the weight for most accuracy.
    5. Make sure you are eating the number of calories MFP has suggested you eat for the weight loss selected in 1
    6. If you exercise eat back 50% of the number MFP tells you you burnt, unless you have a heart rate monitor. At which point you can eat back the number of calories your heart rate monitor told you you burnt.
    7. Repeat 3 - 6 until you are at your desired weight

For the 5k, Google c25k. Follow the plan and just do the 5k, finishing times don't really matter on your first 5k just completing it is enough of a high. Worry about doing it quickly later.[/quote]

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Not going to happen. Maybe 10 lbs if you starve yourself.