Any other Aussies using kg instead of lbs out there

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I don't know why Aussies wouldn't use kilojoules. I do, since everything is in kilojoules on packaging, plus MFP converts all the database entries in calories to kilojoules for us.

No need for all the calculating and converting from the packaging when you can set it to speak your own "language". :)

kilojoules just seem foreign to me.. I guess you stick to what you're used to.

I'm English originally, but I've lived in Australia for almost 8 years.

I've stopped converting kilometres to miles
    I've stopped converting kilograms to stones
    I've stopped converting dollars to pounds
    I've stopped converting litres to pints
    I know my height in cms and my weight in kilos - I've pretty much gone native (but honestly, it'll always be yog-urt and roo-ter) - but using kilojoules? That's just a step too far!!

Haha yes indeedy. And yeah, I will never pronounce yo-gert as Yog-got :confounded:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Orphia wrote: »
    I don't know why Aussies wouldn't use kilojoules. I do, since everything is in kilojoules on packaging, plus MFP converts all the database entries in calories to kilojoules for us.

No need for all the calculating and converting from the packaging when you can set it to speak your own "language". :)

kilojoules just seem foreign to me.. I guess you stick to what you're used to.

I'm English originally, but I've lived in Australia for almost 8 years.

I've stopped converting kilometres to miles
    I've stopped converting kilograms to stones
    I've stopped converting dollars to pounds
    I've stopped converting litres to pints
    I know my height in cms and my weight in kilos - I've pretty much gone native (but honestly, it'll always be yog-urt and roo-ter) - but using kilojoules? That's just a step too far!!

(I've just noticed - you're a moderator now!!! Yer sell out! :smile: )

Haha I'm still the same person with the same thick skin :tongue:
    I'm concentrating on those annoying spam bots for now..
    I still love y'all :wink:

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am in WA
    Down 8.5 kg's
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just changed my settings to KJ instead of cals
    That maybe easier when I go shopping!
  • kewilly71
    kewilly71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great to meet some fellow KG's users - Good luck everyone!!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm from Melbourne, lost 22kg all up and have been in maintenance since April. I prefer calories over kilojoules and have an app on my phone for converting between the two. If it's an easy number I can roughly work it out in my head but maths was never my strong point!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    I'm a Kiwi living in Oz. I track my weight in kg but I have always thought in calories. Which is kind of weird. Nevertheless it works for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Yes I do my weight in kg's. I am used to kg's for other weights so it makes sense to me.

I use calories though - having never used kilo joules in any other context, it was easier to go with the flow on this site and use the same lingo as everyone else - and the bar codes etc scan in as calories, even though they are kilo joules on the packet ( probably something you can change on app, but I've never tried)

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Kiwi here! I'm going to be different and say that calories make no sense. I'm a firm fan of kilojoules :-).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just changed my settings to KJ instead of cals
    That maybe easier when I go shopping!

One of us! One of us! :smiley:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Depends on the audience.

Talking to people at work, in real life I use kj and kg.

On the internet I tend to use calories and pounds since that's what most people I'm talking to are using.

I assume that people using pounds and calories probably aren't as familiar with the conversion to kg and kj.

Also saying you lost 100 pounds sounds more impressive doesn't it?
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I convert to lbs when aiming for a small loss means a round number!

And I count in cals and to be honest haha I thought the kj on packets was some annoying overseas packaging thing..I actually didn't realise it was Aussie until I was on mfp but I easily convert all differences in my head. Most of the time they have the cal conversion too though.

Kj looks too "big". Can't handle that .
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »

I think the other way, that calories are too small. Not accurate enough. 1-2 calories doesn't sound big but that's like 1-2 prices of chewing gum :open_mouth:
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Kiwi using kilos and kilojoules. Weight sounds better in kilos and most packing in is kilojoules so I'm used to it - the bigger number also feels more substantial. I do have an app on my phone to do the conversions into calories/pounds (and vice versa) when I need to interpret something on the message boards
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    mrsbaldee wrote: »

I think the other way, that calories are too small. Not accurate enough. 1-2 calories doesn't sound big but that's like 1-2 prices of chewing gum :open_mouth:

Gum has calories?

Hehe.

Nah, I'm good. Cal counting has been good enough for me. Pretty laid back.

Unless people mention pig stuffing.
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm not Australian but European (Liechtenstein) and we do use the metric system.
    But on our packaging it always indicates the kj and kcal. And honestly, I've never heard anyone here using the kj.

But I get very confused with all the pounds and stones and cups. I see why people would measure fluids in cups. But I don't get how you could seriously measure fruits in cups....
  • beliwoohoo
    beliwoohoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, in Perf, and I would love to add people who speak da metric. I can't fathom (bad pun intended) imperial measurements. Please add me if you are overweight, and trying to correct your shite nutrition problems : )
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm also more than happy to get some metric peeps on board! I'm not sure whether to congratulate my 'murican mates when they lose 0.2lbs a week...what the heck even is that?!

All of our food packaging has kilojoules on it in NZ, would make no sense at all for me to use calories. They make my brain hurt.
  • linaj1988
    linaj1988 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay metric people !! I'm from Sydney, I'll add you all :)