Fat, morbidly obese woman in the weight room....

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It is obvious that we should all start our own happy gym, where all sizes are welcome.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think anyone that comes to the gym - fit, overweight, or anywhere in between - is worthy of respect and kindness for just showing up!! :)

Also, I'm usually more focused on what I'm doing to worry about anyone else.

If anyone reading this is nervous to come to a gym because they're obese and/or worried about what others think. PLEASE DON'T BE. COME!!! ;)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Our gym's slogan is "you don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great!"

I'd be glad of more women in the gym as I'm normally outnumbered by at least 7:1. I'd hope that she works hard and keeps at it.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Fat girl in the frat house.
    What type of reactions would she get? What would you honestly think? Would anyone think anything at all.

I'd smack myself for paying so much attention to other people in the gym and not my own workout.

This. Who notices other people at the gym? I'm too busy trying to see through the sweat dripping down my eyelashes.

• cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WHY don't more obese people lift weights?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @cndkendrick because we are told that cardio workouts will help us shed the pounds.

I don't do lunges yet because by core is too weak and my knee joints are iffy. I can do a one hour power lifting class, though. I pick wimpy girly weights. I'm working on form first.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I'd say because I don't see many obese people trying to lead an active lifestyle and those that do don't stay obese for very long.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Curious, based on your op and this follow up question...Why do you care what other people are thinking about obese women in the weight room?
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Because its been drilled into our brains from long ago that cardio is the way to lose fat. I know that is what I was always taught and also lifting will make women bulky. That one I get still get a kick out of. Which as we all know isn't true. Thank you MFP for all the knowledge you have given us!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Also, I dont pay attention to other people at the gym because i dont care. Fat, slim, tall, ugly, handsome, hot, whatever. Unless you're doing something insane i'm probably not going to even notice you're there.

I dont like all this overly friendliness of "oh i'd say hello!". Like please, extend me the kindness of not giving a $H!t like I am extending you. I will be cordial, but i'm not here for you or anyone else. I'm here for my self. So get to work you do nothing SUNSAGUNS who stare at people in the gym!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Oh and BTW I applaud any and all women in the weight room!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm 248 lbs and I go in the weight room, and not one person has ever looked at me weird. The only thing is at my new gym I'm usually the ONLY female in the weight room....but you know what, being concerned about awkward looks or stares will only keep you from your dream body. If anyone does look at you weird, if you continue on the weird looks will go away and they will just be used to seeing you there. And if someone is that focused on you, they really need to reevaluate the reason why they are at the gym. Btw at my other gym, I truly was the FATTEST woman that I ever saw in the gym. I went to a gym on the nice side of town where women hired personal trainers and were the ultimate soccer moms who thought they were fat because they were 10 lbs overweight...and I still went even though my fat booty would jiggle all over the place and my arm fat would shake and jiggle because I want a better body
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat girl in the weight room, at 180 i think i'm obese on the BMI. I'm proud of my size and walk in the weight room with pride. Move out of my way, i'm coming to throw some iron around

Mass moves mass.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'd only be annoyed if she was using "my side" of the power rack. Otherwise, get 'em.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

For the same reason you will not see many obese people dancing or doing martial arts or playing tennis. Because usually you either are active in general and soon stop being obese, or you avoid physical activities and sports in general. Of course there are exceptions, and actually I see a rather big percentage of overweight people lifting at they gym, compared e.g. to the overweight people I see e.g. in martial arts classes.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Well, there's also the spectre of injury. My weight loss team raved about aquasize classes, because I could move without worrying about gravity killing my joints. But aquasize is not my thing. As soon as I was light enough to move, I began walking, then running. And Zumba. I love zumba. I don't like repetitive exercises whose only point is well, exercise. I've never stepped on an elliptical, and the spin classes look like torture. So I have to have a particular reason for doing weights, like getting some upper body strength for my next Tough Mudder.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Curious, based on your op and this follow up question...Why do you care what other people are thinking about obese women in the weight room?
    In all my searching for "why don't you see women in the weight room" the answer is always because she doesn't want to be pervved on". Completely understandable. But, overweight women hardly get pervved on in the gym. Soooo I wanted to know, what's the answer to that question? Why don't we see overweight women in the weight room?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Because you get told cardio is the way to loose the flab, not weights. So the chubbies will be doing cardio, as they go to the gym and trust the advice given.
  • jkellyphd
    jkellyphd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Much respect for anyone doing their thing!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I'd think "Good for her! I hope she continues to come here." and I'd secretly cheer her on.
    Why cheer her on secretly? Why not say, "Hello, are you new here? I'm not an expert but would be glad to help in any way I can."