Reward: New Tattoo!

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
I'm not exactly at goal yet, and quite honestly not sure what my goal even is anymore, but... I'm definitely close enough to give myself my reward. A new tattoo. Just in time for my 39th birthday next Thursday, and my Warrior Dash next Saturday!

It's my own drawing... a melding of a Celtic knot and a Scottish thistle, loosely based on some other tattoos I saw online, but still my own design. My great grandfather was a Scottish immigrant, coming to the US in the 1800s as an indentured servant during a potato famine. After working a farm for about two years, he figured he did enough to earn his trip across the Atlantic, and took off with his brother. :laugh:

He died long, long, long before I was born, but the stories I heard of him make me laugh. He worked as a bartender for a time, and his trick was to slide the mug down the bar, and if it didn't stop in front of you, you didn't have to pay. No one ever got free drinks from him. :wink: On his days off, he'd go into the bar and loudly exclaim, "When Cruikshank drinks, everybody drinks!" (Be sure to roll your rrrrrrs for maximum effect.) Then he'd quietly say to the bartender on staff, "And when Cruikshank pays, everybody pays."

So being Scots (and chronically thrifty!) is in my blood, and I have a raging fascination with the Outlander book series. *sigh* Jamie Fraser. *sigh* And kilts. Mmmmm... the way the pleats sway back and forth when a man walks in a kilt... Mmmmm... :smile: I'm getting distracted.

Here's the photos. Just got it yesterday, so there's still a bit of swelling, and a bit of glare from the A/D ointment, but the redness is gone.

IMG_0556.jpg

It looked enormous in the first set of crappy phone pics I uploaded, but it's really not that big.

IMG_0557.jpg

I'm happy to report that I'm also "not that big" anymore. Backfat rolls? GONE! New shorts? Size 6. Woohoo!

IMG_0558.jpg

Closeup to show detail. Ain't it purty? The detail is beautiful. Even though it felt like I was getting attacked by very persistent kittens with very, VERY sharp claws. :wink:

Replies

• Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Love it, I love tattoo's! You look fab as well
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think is looks fantastic , love it , glad you got it for the special meaning it holds for you that you could design it as well is even better.
    Good Luck in reaching the rest of your goals, you can do it!
  • jessazimmerman
    Options
    I love it! What a great idea...I'll get a new tattoo when i hit my goal.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Very Nice tatt! I like that it has meaning to you, and you took the time to share with us! Your first set of pics was fine, I was noticing what a nice waist line you have!! Keep up he great job!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Love it. I'm planning to get one too, my first, as a reward for my upcoming birthday. it's a big one-the big four-oh. Yikes! But love the story/meaning behind it, it's awesome. :smile:
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    I love it! You did an amazing job designing it. :)
    Congrats on your weight loss, you look great!!!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Tattoo is awesome!!
    Inspiring some creative thought....
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    congrts and love it, will get one when I hit my goal, will have more than enough money by then.....
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    My other idea for a Scottish tattoo would have been to get the family crest, but our family crest is three boar's heads on a shield. I'm not going to celebrate my weigh loss by getting wild hogs tattooed on my body! :laugh:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Very unique! Nice artwork, too. :wink:
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually much for tattoos, but that is AWESOME! My mother is like crazy obsessed with that book series. I read the first two or three but found it to be kind of SLOW after a while, lol. It's fun to see another Outlander fan, though! Grats on the tattoo!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Oi! Hands off my Jamie... Love those books... Got them from my Grandma who "gave up after the third one cos there's not enough sex". Bahahaha
  • Terri_74
    Terri_74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I was just saying today my reward when I hit goal will be a tattoo on the back of my neck! Looks good and well done for hitting your goal! :)
  • scarecrowgrrl
    Options
    That is an awesome way to reward yourself for all your hard work! Keep it up! The ink looks great!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It looks great!!
  • dhammond5
    dhammond5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It looks so good and the close up is awesome with all the detail. I can't wait till the 30th when I get my celebration tattoo. I will have to post when I get it.
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love thistle tattoos. (:
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ah I love it!!!!!
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    love it! and your back looks awesome! not a roll in sight!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Thanks! Six months ago, I felt like the Michelin Man with those damn back rolls. :laugh:

I even remembered five years ago, when I lost weight and was about 6 pounds less than I am now, one of the reasons I gave up was because I still had those frickin' rolls. And because I was doing it wrong, not eating enough, and not exercising enough.

I'm smaller now than I was then, but I weigh more. Bullpucky to that Celebrity Fit Club motto of "The scale doesn't lie."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!