I went to Aldi today!

Options
So I finally without planning went to aldi for the first time and was shocked and so pleased to see how good the prices are, seriously after hearing so many times people advising other to shop there when you are living in a budget, today I understand the reason behind.

I wasn't even planning to do groceries but out of curiosity I stop by and with like $30.00 I left with a whole box of food for the week.

things like:

gallon of 1% milk $ 2.49/where I live is usually 3.59-3.99
my almond milk 2.59/ where I live almost 5.00
broccoli 99 cents, baby carrots 99 cents
can of tuna; 75 cents
box of granola bars (10 g protein) I think it was 1.59
large eggs for 2.59 :dizzy: #win ,they are so expensive everywhere

silly question but I just have to ask, they do have a great variety of food, but a lot of the brands I'm not really familiar with them, have you found any unpleasant difference? like I was tempted to get their greek yogurt but I wasn't sure or even their almond milk I haven't tasted yet, I usually get the almond breeze.

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've not tried anything in Aldi's other than fresh vegetables, but I have heard that their no name brand foods are really good. I've only heard positive things about their food
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Following this, I'm curious too. There's one 12 minutes away and I've been wondering if I should bother.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Hi which brand of granola bars has 10 grams of protein- would love to pick that one up- thanks
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The brands in Aldi are own brand, but marketed as though they are from different manufacturers. Most of the stuff is good/reasonable quality, but try it and see whether it lives up to your favourite brand. Normally they are decent, but ofc soemtimes brands are better. thats a trade off for the decent prices. You cna definitely save yourself a lot of money, but variety can be limited, so many people do a shop there for the basics, then shop elsewhere for the extras. Fruit and Veg us competitive. Thats a UK perspective btw, but I cnat imagine the philosophy is different anywhere else.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've not tried anything in Aldi's other than fresh vegetables, but I have heard that their no name brand foods are really good. I've only heard positive things about their food

yes, the vegetables was the best part of my shopping! :# , hope everything else is good too

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    We <3 Aldi and shopping there saved us about 15%. We discovered that most of their products are good. That's especially true of products we're going to mix with something else... like cheese into a casserole or ground beef into chili. There are still a few things that we get elsewhere, but the majority of our basic pantry shopping is now at Aldi.
  • karyabc
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Hi which brand of granola bars has 10 grams of protein- would love to pick that one up- thanks

93zvlhutolpb.jpg
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I pretty much shop for everything at Aldi. No issues with any of their food. If you do have a problem, you can take it back and get a double your money back guarantee.
  • karyabc
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

93zvlhutolpb.jpg

sorry for the bad quality of the picture, my phone is dying! , and I just check, I got it actually for $2.09, box of 5, 180 cals/ 16g carbs (7 are fiber)/ 10 g protein
  • karyabc
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    The brands in Aldi are own brand, but marketed as though they are from different manufacturers. Most of the stuff is good/reasonable quality, but try it and see whether it lives up to your favourite brand. Normally they are decent, but ofc soemtimes brands are better. thats a trade off for the decent prices. You cna definitely save yourself a lot of money, but variety can be limited, so many people do a shop there for the basics, then shop elsewhere for the extras. Fruit and Veg us competitive. Thats a UK perspective btw, but I cnat imagine the philosophy is different anywhere else.

yes indeed that's what I got, like there are tons of stuff that I could get there with amazing prices but definitely there are things that I still gonna have to get elsewhere, and more in my case cause I'm Hispanic and we eat certain things that I didn't saw in aldi's but again it was a quick trip.
  • karyabc
    Options
    I pretty much shop for everything at Aldi. No issues with any of their food. If you do have a problem, you can take it back and get a double your money back guarantee.

thanks for the advise! I'm crossing my fingers that everything is going to taste good *_*
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Wife and I have been shopping at Aldi's for about 8 years. Cheap prices and good food.
    I like their greek yogurt quite tasty.
  • karyabc
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    We <3 Aldi and shopping there saved us about 15%. We discovered that most of their products are good. That's especially true of products we're going to mix with something else... like cheese into a casserole or ground beef into chili. There are still a few things that we get elsewhere, but the majority of our basic pantry shopping is now at Aldi.

cool, thanks for the confirmation, next time I go back, I'm going to try to do my shopping with less insecurity about their brands
  • karyabc
    Options
    Wife and I have been shopping at Aldi's for about 8 years. Cheap prices and good food.
    I like their greek yogurt quite tasty.

then I guess the greek is coming home next time ;)
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I have been shopping at Aldi for over 10 years now. I do 90% of my grocery shopping there. My beef and lamb I get at the butcher. They do not carry tofu or some of the other Asian and Indian ingredients I use. My girls love their Almond milk. The only thing I have found that my family does not like is their brand of Ro-tel tomatoes. Otherwise we have always had good luck shopping there.

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This....I love Aldo, it's all good.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i thought the peanut butter sucked and my cat refused to eat the cat food.

other than that I have tried to shop there a few times but always end up having to top-up at another supermarket because they don't have everything I usually get so yeah, usually I can't be bothered.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

93zvlhutolpb.jpg

I love those. I do most of my grocery shopping at aldi's and I haven't been disappointed yet. I use the Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla) all the time and even my husband likes it (who is pretty picky). I love the sales Aldi's has on fruits and veggies. Last week, I was able to get a thing of blueberries for 0.99 and plums were 0.19 each.
  • karyabc
    Options
    I have been shopping at Aldi for over 10 years now. I do 90% of my grocery shopping there. My beef and lamb I get at the butcher. They do not carry tofu or some of the other Asian and Indian ingredients I use. My girls love their Almond milk. The only thing I have found that my family does not like is their brand of Ro-tel tomatoes. Otherwise we have always had good luck shopping there.

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

hahahaha ok! thank god Ro-tel tomatoes are not a must have for me. On the other hand the ground meat looked really good, I also got some frozen chicken breast to used in the week.
  • karyabc
    Options

93zvlhutolpb.jpg

I love those. I do most of my grocery shopping at aldi's and I haven't been disappointed yet. I use the Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla) all the time and even my husband likes it (who is pretty picky). I love the sales Aldi's has on fruits and veggies. Last week, I was able to get a thing of blueberries for 0.99 and plums were 0.19 each.

girl please!!! love me some plums *_*