I went to Aldi today!

Options

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

I don't think that's true. Trader joes is privately held--no holding company--in the US. And Aldi is German, kinda like the IKEA of groceries.

They are owned by the same company - Albrecht Discounts.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi's! My husband and I just moved to Branson, Mo and I miss it so much, I haven't even been able to bring myself to uninstall their app yet :( I got my food scale and digital scale from there years ago and they are still in perfect shape, they always have the best deals on kitchen gadgets, gardening supplies, random stuff, etc.depending on the week/season, I wish I had one here it's such a good place for great prices and they have a gyro kit in the freezer section I would give my right arm for right now lol
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    There is not an Aldi close to me anymore, otherwise I would be shopping there. I have never had a bad experience with their food and it is always very reasonably priced. Anyone questioning if they should go, GO! Most of their stuff tastes just as good as name brand stuff and they even have different selections of name brand items each month. You will find tour self surprised.
    The only thing I don't really get there is meat because their selection isn't the best. I will buy their frozen meats though. Otherwise speaking, it's definitely worth it.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We have an Aldi about 30 mins away...I'm spoiled to good brand food. But I do but asparagus at Aldi when it's on sale. Aldi has a lot of certified organic foods there too but I usually shop at Price Chopper. I might switch to organic if I can afford it lol. Aldi is definitely good for you who can't spend an arm ad's leg for food lol.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I don't think that's true. Trader joes is privately held--no holding company--in the US. And Aldi is German, kinda like the IKEA of groceries.

Yep, Aldi is everywhere here in Germany. There are 2 companies after the Albrecht family had a fallout. Aldi Süd and Aldi Nord. Which one do you have in the US?
    It's considered low rang here, not sure if they spiffed it up for the US market.

Trader Joe's is waaay better IMO.

PS: From Wikipedia: "Aldi Nord is owner of the Trader Joe's chain, while Aldi Süd operates as Aldi."
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Aldi are the best! We have many of these supermarkets in the UK, and you really can't beat the price when it comes to their produce, especially fresh veg.

I pretty much always use Aldi as a major factor when people argue they can't afford to eat healthily.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Just to add - in UK when I scan barcodes for Aldi items using MFP, I often find it comes up with a 'bigger' brand. Eg - spices will often say they are Schwartz, vegetables will often say another supermarket name such as Tesco or Asda. Assuming these entries are correct, it seems as though some items are supplied by bigger (usually more expensive) brands but hidden behind Aldi branding - so you're getting the same stuff but paying less.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No issues with quality. Try their Just Bran. 24 carbs per serving but 16 grams of fibre. I snack on it dry with almonds. If you can get their Just Organic Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt. It is the best I have ever had. Buy it every week. Excellent.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

They are owned by the same company - Albrecht Discounts.

thats what i thought. i *think* they were started by brothers. its am and im not interested enough to research it but think thats what i remember hearing
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and i dont care for their meats, but freezer items are fine, and fruits and veg good, and canned goods and baking staples i love!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Aldi and Costco supply about 75 per of our family's food. I love them both. I'm rarely disappointed in an Aldi product and when I am I they gladly take it back. I don't think that they actually make any of their own products but relabel name brand products, which is typical for store brand products.

One thing I a love about Aldi is that they are smaller stores and have such a limited selection of each item that it really easy to get in and out of the store quickly.

I also love their chocolate. It's usually made in Belgium or Germany and of excellent quality for the price. We always get Christmas and Easter candy for the kids there.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Aldi is not the place to shop if you want selection and variety. They typically have one type of this and one type of that, no alternative choices.

Aldi and Trader Joe's is the same company.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi. It's not the best shopping experience (food is stocked a bit like a warehouse), but the quality and prices are great. The Germans know what their doing.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Search UK Aldi adverts on Youtube :)
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't like tea.....I like gin.....classic.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2015/08/aldi_16_things_to_know.html

I saw this last month- Looks like they're aiming to open 650 US locations in the next 5 years.

Also, I love Trader Joes- Would be interested to see how they compare.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Aldi is great, shop there quite often and usually their fruit/veg and meat is much fresher than what i find in tesco.
  • sdewey9
    sdewey9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Aldi is my go to grocery and has been for 5 years. The prices are great and I haven't noticed anything wrong or different with the taste compared to other foods. I am happy with your new discovery!
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I've tried the 100 calorie Greek yogurt (strawberry) and it was fine. I have had good luck with most things. Hubby hated the salted peanuts (kind of sweet? Ew) though. My favorite things are the Sandwich Skinnys multigrain thins and their Belmont Salted Caramel Gelato. It's delicious.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a huge Aldi fan and am always amazed by how far I can stretch my food budget when I shop there. Their product guarantee offers a refund AND a replacement product if you're not satisfied with something, but I've only had to return one item in the years I've shopped there. It's worth finding out which day of the week your local store receives their fresh produce, as that day will have the best quality/selection. Many stores also mark down fresh meats on certain days of the week, and a salesperson will gladly tell you which day that is.

ETA: Oh, and if they ever bring back the mango licorice....well, never mind. I'll be buying ALL of it anyhow. ;)