I went to Aldi today!

Options

Replies

• JensyRN
    JensyRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been a target lover forever. I have switched to Aldi almost completely! And yes love the almond milk!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

I don't think that's true. Trader joes is privately held--no holding company--in the US. And Aldi is German, kinda like the IKEA of groceries.

Absolutely same company split into 2 seperate divivisions; aldi sud and aldi nord.
    Awesomely mighty oat flapjacks my current fave.
    100g 329 cal 8.5g protein 17g fibre.49p.
    Also, Benefit bars good bang for calorie buck.

• BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a family of five. Aldi's helps me cut my grocery bill quite a bit. From what I have tried, pretty much all of it tastes like name brand products. Without the prices.....
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Apparently the prices are regional. I went to Aldi for the first time 2 weeks ago because it's a 20 minutes drive to check it out.

I was severely unimpressed. Eggs were $3.89 a dozen. That is ridiculous. And they weren't Egglands Best or anything, generic eggs. They had no fresh spinach. They weren't sold out, they don't carry it. Ditto portobella mushrooms. Ditto regular yogurt.

It was a wasted trip and I'll never go back. But I'm glad others are finding good buys at their Aldis!
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    aldi and lidl are brill, lidls greek youghurt is the best! they also do turkish yoghurt, that is here in the uk
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Options
    I don't like Aldi at all. While prices are good, selection is horrible. When you have issues with specific ingredients, having no options is the worst thing. On top of that, it is so limited that I often have to make another stop which means more gas being used and more of my time spent which wipes out any real savings.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Apparently the prices are regional. I went to Aldi for the first time 2 weeks ago because it's a 20 minutes drive to check it out.

I was severely unimpressed. Eggs were $3.89 a dozen. That is ridiculous. And they weren't Egglands Best or anything, generic eggs. They had no fresh spinach. They weren't sold out, they don't carry it. Ditto portobella mushrooms. Ditto regular yogurt.

It was a wasted trip and I'll never go back. But I'm glad others are finding good buys at their Aldis!

I'm in NYC and got the eggs for 2.59 the dozen , why so expensive? Where do you live :o
  • karyabc
    Options
    I admit that Aldi's doesn't have like the biggest selection or food variety sometimes, BUT when you have a big family to feed or living in a tight budget , it is soooo worth the visit.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Living in the country where Aldi comes from I am still hoping that after bringing Aldi to the US, Trader Joe's will some day come to Germany. At the German Aldi they already sell certain types of food under the brand name 'Trader Joe's but nothing really compares to the items they have in the states. There are just so many good things that I miss from there after having a Trader Joe's right across the street for almost a year.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

I'm in NYC and got the eggs for 2.59 the dozen , why so expensive? Where do you live :o

I'm in Central Florida and I have no idea why they were so expensive. We have a store called Save A Lot here which is a discount chain. And Walmart and Publix. That will have to do for me since there is no Trader Joe's or anything else that isn't a minimum 20 minute drive one way. Publix is pretty great and they've started carrying a lot more of their own brands. They make scallops in a garlic cream sauce that are fabulous.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    dearmrsowl wrote: »
    Living in the country where Aldi comes from I am still hoping that after bringing Aldi to the US, Trader Joe's will some day come to Germany. At the German Aldi they already sell certain types of food under the brand name 'Trader Joe's but nothing really compares to the items they have in the states. There are just so many good things that I miss from there after having a Trader Joe's right across the street for almost a year.

I'm with you.
    I live in Germany now and Aldi is nowhere near Trader Joe's.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I don't like Aldi at all. While prices are good, selection is horrible. When you have issues with specific ingredients, having no options is the worst thing. On top of that, it is so limited that I often have to make another stop which means more gas being used and more of my time spent which wipes out any real savings.

That sucks! I'm able to buy so much - even organic foods at ours. I do head to one more store up the road for my herbs and a few things like spaghetti squash or broccoli slaw, but in general, I'm willing to take a savings of well over $50 for that.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Ugh, as I said above, I'm able to get a lot, including all of the things you mentioned, and much cheaper. In CT, I'm paying 2.69 per carton of eggs, and I usually also get a carton of liquid egg whites for 2.29

Fresh spinach for 1.79 per 6oz bag, portobellos for .99 per 8oz, and 32oz yogurt for 1.89!
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like aldi for certain things. Their cereal is like 13g of protein per serving and eggs are a great price too.
  • jocooper43016
    jocooper43016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aldi has a double back guarantee, if you aren't 100% satisfied they will replace the product and refund your money.
  • deeS3211
    deeS3211 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    They even sell organic grass fed ground beef much cheaper than any other store
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    They have an awesome, delicious, cheap Fit&Active brand of a cookie dough protein bar. I love those things. Great produce prices, too.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    When I was at school (I live in the UK), some kids in my class used to get bullied because their parents shopped at Aldi (You could tell by the labels on their food at lunch time!). People used to take the pi%s out of them because it apparently signified that they were poverty stricken lol. Bloody snobs. Now in these times of austerity lots of families are switching to Aldi because the foods decent and the prices are good. I sometimes shop there but I ware a disguise in case somebody who went to my school sees me in there and gives me a wedgy!
  • karyabc
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    When I was at school (I live in the UK), some kids in my class used to get bullied because their parents shopped at Aldi (You could tell by the labels on their food at lunch time!). People used to take the pi%s out of them because it apparently signified that they were poverty stricken lol. Bloody snobs. Now in these times of austerity lots of families are switching to Aldi because the foods decent and the prices are good. I sometimes shop there but I ware a disguise in case somebody who went to my school sees me in there and gives me a wedgy!

Lolll really? Omg what an awful experience. :s , oh well.. kids those little creatures can be cruel sometimes >:)
  • karyabc
    Options
    I like aldi for certain things. Their cereal is like 13g of protein per serving and eggs are a great price too.

What? Cereal 13g protein? Thanks, nice to know! ;)