September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning

what HRM do you have?

my garmin behaved the same and had to replace it - apparently it's a common fault for garmin's HRM straps
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options

ddmom0811 wrote: »
    BanksySJ11 wrote: »
    First 1/2 marathon completed this morning, 2,06,52. Not quite what I wanted but with the warm weather I'm happy enough ☺️

That's a great time! I am hoping for 2:30 for mine next month. Wait... forget that... I just want to finish!

I agree! That's an awesome time for your first! I have my first 1/2 in Feb and I am just hoping to finish in the cut off time of 2:45 :)

Went for a 10k run with a friend today and ended up doing 6.5 miles. My longest run to date! She is a bit faster then me so I found it quite challenging but also was motivated to keep up with her pace.

exercise.png[\img]
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    01/09 - 4.52 km
    02/09 - 3.04 km - A nice evening run
    03/09 - 4.56 km - Lunchtime run but without my run buddy :-(
    04/09 - Rest
    05/09 - Rest
    06/09 - 6.07 km - Lovely evening run

exercise.png

• lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I hope it's okay that I join (albeit late, sorry!). I've seen this group before but never posted. I'm a student training for my first marathon and I am going to aim for 150 miles this September!
    Today was a long training run for me of 19 miles. I'm getting better at keeping about an 8:30 min/mile pace on my long runs, which in happy about-however, I threw up twice in my run
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @BanksySJ11 - Congrats on completing your first half! It's a huge accomplishment!

@patrikc333 - My HRM is a Wahoo Tickr X that I bought in January this year. It has worked wonderfully save for an occasional high reading for the first minute or so (which seems common among HRMs). I am hoping it is just the battery because it would explain my last 3 easy runs where I had a ridiculously hard time keeping my HR down in the "easy" range in the middle of the run. Today is the first time I ignored the high reading and went with feel, hoping I was not fooling myself. It was clearly elevated by about 25 bpm for several consecutive minutes in the middle of the run, and then went back to the range I expected to be in for the rest of the run.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    September goal: 35 miles

9/1 - 3.1 miles
    9/2 - strength day
    9/3 - 2 miles
    9/4 - strength day
    9/5 - 4 miles
    9/6 - hiking (2.5 hours)

September: 9.1 of 35 miles
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I knew I should have gone out this morning when it was cool but my ankle wasn't cooperating. So a hot 5 miles at the end of the day. I've felt better.
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Sep 01      5.2      5.2
    Sep 04      9.1     14.3
    Sep 05      3.7     18.0
    Sep 06      5.0     23.0

exercise.png
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    BanksySJ11 wrote: »
    First 1/2 marathon completed this morning, 2,06,52. Not quite what I wanted but with the warm weather I'm happy enough ☺️

Congrats! It's a great feeling after the first of any distance but especially half-marathons (coming from someone who's longest race to date has been a half :) )

@AlexPaige - if it's always the same car/person I think I would start getting creeped out and start memorizing the license plate and tell someone else. Be safe out there!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    9/07 - 2 miles in 72 degrees but 88% humidity. Slow and steady until I get used to this humidity. I've been gone most of the summer so this is the first I've had to deal with it.

Goal: 40 miles
    38 miles to go :)
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm back but with no solid goal for the month other then to run!
    9 weeks for being sick and my fitness has suffered. I've only managed 3 short runs since mid July :( but I finally feel better!

7/9 - 4km
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    9/1 Strength training and elliptical
    9/2 6.5 miles (6 at 11:29 and .5 at 15:00) on the treadmill
    9/3 4.5 miles at 11:59 on the treadmill
    9/4 3 miles at 11:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/5 Rest Day

9/6 5 mile-nice trail run with 4 at 11:35(ish) and 1 walking

Goal: 75 miles

exercise.png

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a nice, relaxed football Saturday-glad those are back! Today was mostly lazy, lazy, lazy. So lazy I fell asleep after lunch, on the couch, snuggled up to the doggie. We both enjoyed our afternoon nap. So I had no excuses to not get out and run this evening. Plus it was nice and cool after a bit of a light rain. I got in another 4 miler, yah, the other day's wasn't an anomaly. It was slightly less comfortable, but also averaged about 30 seconds/mile faster, so I can't complain.
    @7lenny7 yes, I am definitely going to have to play with garmin connect and figure out some data. I'm a statistics kind of gal. I haven't done that yet, but imagine I will as I get more miles under my belt, play with the device, etc. I think having certain goals, besides just add some more distance, will help keep me wanting to get up and get out and keep doing it. Whatever can help keep me motivated is good I say!
    @ruqayyahsmum I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You're in my thoughts, and virtual hugs are sent your way. I always enjoy hearing about how you are passing the gift of health and activity onto your children, by taking them running/biking with you when you're off on your lake run. Keep yourself strong and healthy as best you can and hope to see you back soon!!

9/3 4 miles
    9/4 3 miles
    9/6 4 miles---11 miles total out of 40 goal.
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Really lazy day. Wish I would have done more, but something is better than nothing!

9/1 - 2.06 miles (walk)
    9/2 - 2.76 miles (run/walk)
    9/3 - 2.26 miles (walk/run)
    9/4 - 2.82 miles (run/walk)
    9/5 - 5 miles (walking) also kayaked about 4 miles!
    9/6 - 2.16 miles (walk)

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    @AlexPaige - if it's always the same car/person I think I would start getting creeped out and start memorizing the license plate and tell someone else. Be safe out there!
    Definitely report the Model of the car and the License number to your local police and ask for the file number - That way you know there is an open file with the information in it rather than just a note in some police officers note book. As soon as you have a partial number report it to the Police, If it takes you multiple events to record the complete license number that's okay just keep updating the police file, Time and place could be very important.
    Stay safe - Protect yourself.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September goal 65 miles

9/1 3.51
    9/2 3.35
    9/3 rest
    9/4 3.16
    9/5 life day
    9/6 6.19

Total 16.21

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

10 miles yesterday
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just a quick report. I'm getting up early tomorrow for a long run and need to get to bed. I'll have to catch up tomorrow.

9/01 - Rest
    9/02 - 6.1 Miles, 11:03 pace, 137 HR, 72F
    9/03 - 5.0 Miles, 10:53 pace, 142 HR, 77F
    9/04 - 8.1 Miles, 12:11 pace, 136 HR, 83F
    9/05 - Family Day! - Innertubing down a nearby river and going out to eat.
    9/06 - 7.7 Miles (5.2 + 2.5), First run: 11:05 pace, 139 HR, 76F, Second run with the kid. Also got in a 3 mile walk with Kody.

Goal: 135 Miles
    Progress: 26.9 Miles
    Remaining: 109.1 Miles

hfvkzb8ryj6h.jpeg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You're in my thoughts, and virtual hugs are sent your way. I always enjoy hearing about how you are passing the gift of health and activity onto your children, by taking them running/biking with you when you're off on your lake run. Keep yourself strong and healthy as best you can and hope to see you back soon!!
    @ruqayyahsmum - what she said! I too am so sorry for your loss! Hope you are feeling up to being back here with all of us soon! {{HUGS}}

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @RunTimer - Can't believe you are braving Fisherman's Wharf this time of year with all the tourists!
    @AlexPaige - I think it is time to get the license plate and contact your local police. Best to be safe!
    @BanksySJ11 - remember no matter what time you got on your first half it is a PR (congratulations BTW) and the next time you can always improve from there!
    @patrikc333 - I run with my pup almost every day (Hobbes the Vizsla needs the daily exercise and would be a total crazy boy without it!). He loves to go and about the only thing that gets him more excited is going to the beach. When it isn't too hot he goes on my long runs too - we have gone up to 15 miles but I know others that run 20-25 miles with their people! Check out this article about training with your dog - (I know it is from a car company and features a Vizsla but.. it has good points :) ) http://drive.subaru.com/fall13_TrainLikeDog.aspx
    @lilolil0585 - If you threw up twice and you aren't otherwise fighting the flu or some other illness, I would say you are pushing your body too hard. Maybe try slowing it down on your long runs and pushing it for tempo on shorter runs intended for that purpose?
    @ShortMrsN - Welcome back! Glad you are feeling better!

Took Hobbes the Vizsla to the dog beach and had an amazing morning on the beach! There were so many other Vizslas to play with and he had a ball! We ran up and down and into the warm water. It was just a wonderful morning!
    o3712tz9qjy4.jpg
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    September is off to an auspicious start given my 200 mile / 322 km goal as I've barely run all week :( - a life break invaded my time big time but got some karma points and would do it again.

12 pages already in this thread, lots to catch up on - what an active group! :smiley:
    Today was a long training run for me of 19 miles. I'm getting better at keeping about an 8:30 min/mile pace on my long runs, which in happy about-however, I threw up twice in my run

@lilolilo920 Welcome to the group - it is never too late to join. Sign up on the last day of the month and we'll be welcoming! PS: Throwing up is probably an indication you are pushing the pace too hard on your training runs. Long training runs should be run slower, well within your aerobic capacity. Hopefully there you can finish without feeling the need to heave. :smile:

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		029.11 km
    Goal:			29 km / 200 miles (9% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sep 06 21.21 km Running gentle hills around the lake, felt great save for blisters
    Sep 05 -----    Life break, coaching soccer 
    Sep 04 07.90 km UBC forest - Date Run Friday!
    Sep 03 -----    More of same
    Sep 02 -----    More of same
    Sep 01 -----    Life break, running an evacuation centre