September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Having taken 5 days off I decided to try a little run today to see how my hamstring felt after a very slow run
    and it seems to be fine. I've done loads of stretching of my IT band which seems to be fine now so I'm wondering if there was a problem with it or not as I expected to have problems for a few weeks but now it just seems to be in my hamstring.
    My daughter wanted to start the C25K but had been finding excuses why she couldn't actually get started so as I only wanted to go out and test my leg on a very slow run I persuaded her that today is the day. It was great to have someone to chat to while running for a change.
    4.9 completed.... 75.1 to do.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Welcome to all of you joining in! Anytime is fine! Lots of friendly advice on here! Any goal you set is great.

@kristinegift - awesome long run and great that the last five miles were the best. You are killing it!
    @skippygirlsmom -- love those pictures! Like Elise said Skip is just so cute! I want to do some trails now!
    @elise4270 - All of those things sound quite stressful. One day at a time and one mile at a time. If you can force yourself to get out there and get some miles in, you will feel better and not give a &*(# about all the other stuff. It seems like you are running a lot to me though!
    @shanaber -- I LOVE the picture of Hobbes. What a lucky boy he is to have you! And you to have him!

9/1 - 5.25 miles
    9/2 - 3.55 miles
    9/3 - strength training + cycling class
    9/4 - rest
    9/5 - 34 mile bike ride
    9/6 - 12.82 mile run - longest ever
    9/7 - 36 mile bike ride

exercise.png

I felt pretty sore from Sunday's long run but the biking really works it all out of me. Now I feel great. Going to run just Wed and Fri this week. :grimace: and won't get a long run in since I'm doing a charity bike ride on Sunday, either 62 or 100, but I think 62 is more my distance. I will still get one more long run in before my HM. omg, it's really closing in on me!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    We thought that trails would help build our leg muscles too. I agree on the miles, it's hard to get a lot in on trails. We paced around 13 min mile - we made up some time on flat surfaces but most of the time it's slower. I had to wear my glasses too or I wouldn't have been able to see what I was running on LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    Having taken 5 days off I decided to try a little run today to see how my hamstring felt after a very slow run
    and it seems to be fine. I've done loads of stretching of my IT band which seems to be fine now so I'm wondering if there was a problem with it or not as I expected to have problems for a few weeks but now it just seems to be in my hamstring.
    My daughter wanted to start the C25K but had been finding excuses why she couldn't actually get started so as I only wanted to go out and test my leg on a very slow run I persuaded her that today is the day. It was great to have someone to chat to while running for a change.
    4.9 completed.... 75.1 to do.

Nice! I can only get my husband to go with me, he's too fast, I'm too slow... Glad the hamstring is better. Mine gets angry, but that seems to be a nerve issue.

@ddmom0811 ya I suppose we are logging quite a bit. When I started this challenge in February, I committed to 30 miles and that was hard. Now I'm pushing 90. Ya, that's progress even if I'm not fast and still walk. I can feel good about that.

I also took the opportunity to look over my garmin data and see how far I've come and realize that I have not been running "forever" as it feels. So, I talked myself down, refocused, recommitted, and reevaluated. It's been just a short while since pain hasn't thwarted my runs.

So newbies, keep a journal. Cuz some days are gonna suck and every step will feel like trudgery. But know that that trudgery IS forward progress.. Even if it includes an occasional *internal/external temper-tantrum.

*depending on your personality :wink:

Onward!
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    4 mile run with my running club tonight at a pretty easy 10 minute pace. Managed to actually speak to people tonight for almost the entire run, normally I am huffing along and ear-wagging.

exercise.png[\img]
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @snha, @skippygirlsmom, @mwyvr, @ddmom0811: Thanks all! It's always nice to have some good feedback when I check the forums after my long run naps :)

@skippygirlsmom - Cute trail pics! Skip is quite a character!
    @Elise4270 - Such a good idea about the journal! I look back on older runs and it's nice to reflect on my notes and how far I've come even when I don't feel like I'm making progress.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    We thought that trails would help build our leg muscles too. I agree on the miles, it's hard to get a lot in on trails. We paced around 13 min mile - we made up some time on flat surfaces but most of the time it's slower. I had to wear my glasses too or I wouldn't have been able to see what I was running on LOL

If you and Skip really want to build up those leg muscles (and trails) & if you have RSA access, Madkin and Weeden Mtns are awesome.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new folks. I hope you find us to be a fun and encouraging group.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    September goal: 35 miles

9/1 - 3.1 miles easy
    9/2 - strength day
    9/3 - 2 miles easy
    9/4 - strength day
    9/5 - 4 miles easy
    9/6 - hiking (2.5 hours)
    9/7 - 3 miles easy

September: 12.1 of 35 miles

Because we got out late, decided to run by the beach. It was very crowded but the ocean breeze definitely helped. This is one of my favorite routes:

1qvg76g0zr88.jpg

Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Big day today. I blew away my old distance PR of 10.1 miles and ran 13.1. The plan was for 12, but I was running in a new area (along both sides of the Mississippi River in St. Paul & Minneapolis) and took a wrong turn which made my loop 12.6 instead of 12. I was feeling good so why not run a half? I ran past my truck until my Garmin hit 13.1 and then walked back to the truck, guzzled some water, at a protein bar, and stretched out. I felt great the entire way except for some pain in my shoulder (at some point I'll need to get that bone spur taken care of).

Running the HM distance 8 weeks prior to my HM does a lot to boost my confidence. I kept my heart rate in the low 130's for the first 10 miles but from there on out it started creeping up and the last mile averaged 150. I think part of that was just getting excited knowing I could do it, and wanting to get home so we could go out to eat. I finished with an average pace of 10:59, total time of 2:24. The best statistic though was looking at MFP and seeing I had 3900 calories left to eat for the day! I put a big dent in that with some fantastic fish & chips at a downtown British pub.

I may go out again tonight with my son for another 2.5 miles, but I have a lot to get done, so may have him do it on his own.

Rest day tomorrow!

9/01 - Rest
    9/02 - 6.1 Miles, 11:03 pace, 137 HR, 72F
    9/03 - 5.0 Miles, 10:53 pace, 142 HR, 77F
    9/04 - 8.1 Miles, 12:11 pace, 136 HR, 83F
    9/05 - Family Day! - Innertubing down a nearby river and going out to eat.
    9/06 - 7.7 Miles (5.2 + 2.5), First run: 11:05 pace, 139 HR, 76F, Second run with the kid. Also got in a 3 mile walk with Kody.
    9/07 - 13.1 Miles <-- New distance PR! 10:59 pace, 138HR, 68F

Goal: 135 Miles
    Progress: 40 Miles
    Remaining: 110 Miles

541rlobeh9cv.jpeg
    npvihuvkp9tr.jpeg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Didn't post here before, but I'm doing 100 in September on Runkeeper, so might as well join in. I've been running less than I'd like as I was focusing on biking and swimming before a tri, but am going to now focus a lot on training for some running stuff.

exercise.png

So far:

9/3: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 13.1 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @snha, @skippygirlsmom, @mwyvr, @ddmom0811: Thanks all! It's always nice to have some good feedback when I check the forums after my long run naps :)

@skippygirlsmom - Cute trail pics! Skip is quite a character!
    @Elise4270 - Such a good idea about the journal! I look back on older runs and it's nice to reflect on my notes and how far I've come even when I don't feel like I'm making progress.

You have no idea LOL

Stoshew71 wrote: »

If you and Skip really want to build up those leg muscles (and trails) & if you have RSA access, Madkin and Weeden Mtns are awesome.

I can get on post, we'll have to try them.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @rogue024, great photo!
    @skippygirlsmom, thanks for the trail photos and the race report! Sounds like you and Skip had a great time.
    @ddmom0811, looks like you're really getting out on foot and on the bike, great job!
    @CrimsonWhite, if you have any questions on the FR305, just ask.
    @shanaber, Hobbes is one happy boy!
    @Alice_Luther, sounds like you've hit a tough stretch, I'm sure you'll emerge from this all the stronger for it.
    @kristinegift, congrats on the awesome run!!
    @Elise4270, Stay strong! Your comment about the forks made me laugh. With my daughter it was glasses. It was crazy how many glasses she'd accumulate in her room. When she'd finally bring them down, half of them would be moldy. I didn't get on her case too much because at the point I realized she only had a year and half at home, I decided not to sweat the small stuff. It didn't always work, but that was my goal.
    @Banksysj11, great job on the HM!
    @whatmerunning, quite often when it's dryer or cooler out, my HRM reads quite high as well. I ignore it for the first mile. Sometimes it reads about double what I would expect and sometime it reads some randomly high number. I've heard that licking the back helps it make better contact but I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the trail suggestion, but I'll need to leave the truck at the hotel so the family can eat while I run. I haven't decided yet where I'll go but I may run the levee on the north side of the river, or just put up with traffic and run down Mass St. to where we used to live near Haskell Indian Junior College (that's what it was when we lived there, I think it's a university now). I'm also avoiding trails until after my HM in October. I know it's likely unwarranted, but after two trail runs in late July and getting injured, I've sworn off trails until then. I'll be back in Lawrence in November and may run out at Clinton then.

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm at work so I don't have my daily run miles.

Today I ran 5.06 km for a total of 29.14 km out of 100 km. As long as I can manage 25 km every week I should make it.
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bittersweet day. Today was W3D1 for C25K and I felt really good about it. I was nervous before starting but felt really great after I finished. That is when I noticed that my app, which tracks my distance, had stopped working. This really bummed me out because it made it feel like I had not accomplished anything. But...I snapped back into reality and reminded myself that I had a great run. I went for a short walk to just wind down and get ready for the rest of the week. This is going to be a good week!

9/1 - 2.06 miles (walk)
    9/2 - 2.76 miles (run/walk)
    9/3 - 2.26 miles (walk/run)
    9/4 - 2.82 miles (run/walk)
    9/5 - 5 miles (walking) also kayaked about 4 miles!
    9/6 - 2.16 miles (walk)
    9/7 - approximately 4.42 miles. (Run/walk)

exercise.png
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1 rest day
    9/2 4.2 miles -- wasn't that easy for some reason, but done!
    9/4 3.17 miles -- that was probably the most difficult run since I've started seven weeks ago. The humidity was so defeating and soul crushing!
    9/5 rest day--too hot/humid, elliptical
    9/6 rest day--too hot/humid, elliptical
    9/7 3.32--running again!

10.69/50

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I don't get on my daughter about the forks. It's really funny as long as I don't have to fetch them. All the dishes from her room are moldy too. Part of me could go ape shlt, but like you, I just pick my battles. She's 20, gotta be close to outgrowing that kinda stuff or moving out. She's my last one at home...

1-rest
    2-5.03
    3-5.04
    4-rest/ travel
    5-1.88 walk
    6-5.26
    7-3.43
    7- 7.03 walk/run with DH. Not much running since it was still ~100..

27.67/80+
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1 0km 0km - 140km goal
    9/3 6km 6km - 134km
    9/4 6km 12km - 128km
    9/7 7.4km 19.4km – 120.6km
    I am going to call this a gutter run. Got-er Done. After working at our Family Cabin on the lake ( winterizing ) all weekend, I really needed a run. So off to Misery Mountain for a Hill Climb. I gutted it out without dropping into a walk on any of the steep pitches. Managed an average 140 BPM Cadence on the run and on the last km ( slightly uphill trail ) back to my truck picked it up to 148 BPM sprint - it's not much but strangely felt like I was in an all out Sprint Finish. At the start of spring when the trails had opened up it was a 50/50 Run/Walk mix.
    exercise.png
    So many great posts - so little time to read them all - so I cheat and read the return comments/summaries such as the ones by @7lenny7.
    This is going to be a good week!
    An Enigma with a Great attitude.

Heading out of town for work to a community that's not runner friendly so might not get any runs in this week. :s
    I wish I would have had a journal from Day 1 - it also would have been great for tracking Shoe Km's so I would be a little more aware of how many Net Km's I had and how close they were to becoming Gardening/Walk about/Shopping Shoes.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Alice_Luther - Welcome to the group!
    @kristinegift - congratulations on having a great long run! Your pace just amazes me but then I am a 'bit' older so I will just look on in awe to be able to go that fast!
    @Elise4270 - just when you have been doing so well! Tell the daughter to bring your forks back! Then go out and run and forget the husband and work and just lose yourself in the run! You will feel better, especially if you can get out before it gets too hot! I know getting up and out early is a challenge but let's do this!! (I am getting up at 5am tomorrow just to be out before the heat hits). I keep a running diary too - it is always interesting to look back at what I ran previously and how it felt.
    @skippygirlsmom - Awesome to get a fun trail run in! Love the cute Skippygirl pictures!
    @patrikc333 - Hobbes looks big in the picture but he weighs around 43lbs and his head just comes to my hand and I am short - only 5'. For me he is just the right size - he can lay on my lap and not squish me :) Awesome find on your run!
    @Abakan - glad you are getting that injury sorted out! Awesome that you were able to have your daughter run with you today too!
    @ddmom0811 - You are amazing with all the riding and running. Do you think one helps the other? Have you thought about doing a triathlon?
    @rogue024 - beautiful beach to run by!
    @7lenny7 - congrats on getting in distance PR and a half marathon training run at a great pace!
    @endlessenigma - Whether your app captured it or not you completed a great run! Sometimes it is actually nice to run without any electronics and just run without any pressure. You can always estimate the distance afterwards.

I got up to go run hills at a park a ways from my house but my husband needed to go into work and his car had a flat so he took mine. It was also already 85F so I put off going for a run locally thinking I would just go to the gym but I really, really didn't want to do that. So... I headed out in the heat for a slow couple of miles leaving a pouting Hobbes at home. The first few miles weren't too bad and I tried to stay in whatever shade there was. There was a little breeze going out but by the time I was heading home there was no breeze and I felt like my face was on fire. I did stop at one point with about 1.5 miles left, to sit on a neighbors wall in the shade and let my HR recover a bit. I was actually surprised when I got home that it hadn't gotten nearly as high as I thought or felt.
    I did not stop, did not pass go, but stripped off my shoes and socks and jumped directly into the pool in my running clothes. It was wonderful! :) I can just hear the neighbors now...'there that crazy running lady goes again, swimming with all of her clothes on and taking them off in the pool!' Don't care - it was wonderful!

Date.......Miles......Total
    09/01.....7.21.......7.21 - + Strength Training
    09/02.....0.00.......7.21 - Much needed rest day
    09/03.....6.10.....13.31 - + Strength Training
    09/04.....4.38.....17.69
    09/05.....9.38.....27.07
    09/06.....2.00.....29.07 - Dog Beach Sunday
    09/07.....5.04.....34.11 - Too hot to be running!

exercise.png

Edited to change my ticker marker from a pumpkin to a sun - seems more appropriate given the hot weather we are having this month
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention that I ordered a new pair of running shoes! Skora had the ones I love marked down for the weekend, plus $10 off! Can't wait to get them!