Been "working out" for about two months without any noticeable difference

Options
Hello, all, I'm new here. My name is Ben, I'm 30 years old, I'm about 5'10", and I weigh about 290 lbs. My current weight is the result of a very slow journey over the last decade, where I didn't do any amount of considerable exercise. I decided finally to start doing something in early July.

So here's what I've done so far. I take the stairs up to the fourth floor of the building where I work at least twice a day, I cut out soda completely (I would normally have 4-5 Dr. Peppers or something similar per day), I take a brisk two-mile walk each night, and then finish that up with 20 push-ups and 80 crunches. It took me about 10 days to work up to that; I started off with 10 push-ups and 30 crunches, then added 1 and 3 each day, respectively.

So far, the results have been... either negligible or nonexistent (although I do feel generally feel batter, which counts for something!). I suppose I assumed that any sort of physical activity combined with leaving soda behind would at least shed some ounces--was this naive? If I'm look to lose about a pound per week, what would some of you with more experience suggest as a daily workout?

(I should point out that I can't run--waaay too hard on my knees right now. I hope to be able to, though, after losing more weight.)

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Ben

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food at all?

Or did you just assume cutting fizzy drinks would be enough? Didn't replace the drinks with food?

You sound like your trying to lose weight by focusing on exercise. Focus on your diet more.

Weigh all food, log it, continue exercising. Be in a calorie deficit.
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories each day? Exercise is good and all but most weight loss comes from dietary changes. Also make sure you're not replacing your sodas with something equally caloric.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ben7072 wrote: »
    So here's what I've done so far. I take the stairs up to the fourth floor of the building where I work at least twice a day, I cut out soda completely (I would normally have 4-5 Dr. Peppers or something similar per day), I take a brisk two-mile walk each night, and then finish that up with 20 push-ups and 80 crunches. It took me about 10 days to work up to that; I started off with 10 push-ups and 30 crunches, then added 1 and 3 each day, respectively.

So far, the results have been... either negligible or nonexistent (although I do feel generally feel batter, which counts for something!). I suppose I assumed that any sort of physical activity combined with leaving soda behind would at least shed some ounces--was this naive? If I'm look to lose about a pound per week, what would some of you with more experience suggest as a daily workout?

What you are doing in the way of exercise is a good start, but doesn't burn a whole lot of calories.

I take the stairs up to the fifth floor of the building I work. According to a sign posted at the bottom of the stairs, 5 flights is apparently about 30 calories, so 1 flight is about 6 calories. Therefore what you're doing is approx. 6 cal * 8 flights = 48 calories.

The walking ... we burn something in the neighbourhood of 200 cal/hour. I'm guessing you're walking 40 minutes or so? That's about 135 calories.

And the push-ups and crunches won't be much.

All up, you're burning something in the vicinity of an extra 200 cal/day. And that's all right, but you've really got to keep close track of your calories consumed. Sometimes the temptation is to have a bit of extra food after exercise, and if you're not careful, you could consume all 200 cal + some. A couple bananas, a handful of cashews or a largish chunk of cheese would do it.

Enter your information into MFP. Put yourself as sedentary. Select 1 lb/week as your goal loss. MFP will give you a maximum number of calories to consume.

Weigh and log everything carefully. Stay at or just slightly under that max calorie number.

And keep doing what you're doing in the way of exercise ... you may also find it helpful to eat about half your calories burned back (right now, that would be approx. 100 cal/day).

You may also want to gradually increase what you're doing ... climb those stairs 3 or 4 times a day, extend your walks to an hour.

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Ben,

You've made a good start.

My guess is that even though you've cut the calories from soda, since you haven't made any mention of food logging, and your diary is closed, you haven't adjusted your eating.

I'm 5'10, started at 279 lbs, and like you, started with walking, stairs, push-ups etc. The difference is I figured out my daily caloric needs, and kept my input to that. I lost 2+ lbs per week in my first 3 months without any real difficulty. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same. (After that, the rate of loss will slow down).

So, use MFP to figure out your calorie goals, start logging, open your diary, and people can start helping you with more detailed suggestions.

Good luck.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    What others have been saying is true. Although exercise is good for your body, weight loss is all about the caloric count. Cutting out the sodas may help that, but you have know way of knowing until you start keeping track. You need to figure out how much calories you should be eating in a day to be at the correct deficit. Keep up the exercise, start logging, weighing and measuring all your food.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health and fitness, dietary changes are for weight loss. Good for you for trying to be more physically active, absolutely do not give up, it will help long term. As for weight, start counting calories to see where you are going over. At least at first, use a food scale to figure out things.
  • ben7072
    ben7072 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice to see that this is such an active forum (no pun intended). Thank you all very much for the advice.

My diet did change very dramatically around the time I started working out, although they're not necessarily related--my wife, who is pregnant with our second child, was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. For those who don't know what that is (I didn't), it's essentially diabetes that only sticks with you until you give birth--then mother and baby are fine. But in order to avoid insulin, we've swapped our normal dinner food (bread, pasta, pizza, fast food, Chinese food, various fried things, and even the occasional home-cooked meal), for things like baked skinless chicken and vegetables. This is followed by the small workout that I mentioned earlier, and after that point it's too late to eat, so I just drink a lot of water and hit the sack. Honestly, the big catalyst for me was turning 30. It's been remarkably easy to be incredibly overweight for years, but the last six months have really taken a toll on me.

Breakfasts have gotten "better," although consuming motor oil probably would have been a step up--I used to start each day off with one or two trashy pastries (think Svenard's or the like) and a Rockstar. These days, it's a Cliff bar and an unsweetened iced green tea. So lunch is probably what is killing me--again, sorry to be so naive--I usually go out to lunch every day and have a bento box. A bowl of Miso soup, and either two rolls or teriyaki chicken with rice and stir fry.

So... I do feel a little ridiculous after typing that, but to respond directly to Merkavar and quote Kill Bill, "Actually yeah, I kinda did," as in I really assumed that some minor exercise and cutting out soda would make at leats a little difference.

Thanks again for the advice, all, I'll start counting calories and seeing where I can trim the fat, so to speak.

Ben
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ben, I have been where you are. The fitness stuff you are taking is great. But what the others are saying is very true. I eat NOTHING that I do not log. I do that because I cannot trust myself and I have a great way of having "just a little more" where a "little" turns into thousands of extra calories a week. When I count everything I a more likely to pass on that 3rd helping of whatever it is.

I am NOT a guru and struggle like everyone else (worse really). But I have found that skipping the rolls for celery or other veggies is not that hard and it does pay off. Like all things the program will work if you work it.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice, all, I'll start counting calories and seeing where I can trim the fat, so to speak.

Ben

Counting calories can be very revealing.

My pre-MFP diet was pretty good, and I had a reasonable awareness of things that were high in calories, but when I came here and started logging, I was surprised by nuts, cheese, pears and cereal.

Who knew that 13 cashews was about 100 calories! And was eating about 5 times that amount in an afternoon. And cheese ... I'd have some cheese slices with crackers after work some days ... and be knocking back 300 or 400 calories. I thought pears were full of water ... never thought they'd be up over 100 cal each. And cereal ... a serving of cereal is teensy-tiny. I didn't have cereal often, but when I did, I was pouring myself a BOWL of cereal ... probably 4 or 5 servings.

It's all these little things that sneak up on you. You don't feel like you're eating a lot, but when you start weighing and counting and adding it up ... wow.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Ben

Counting calories can be very revealing.

My pre-MFP diet was pretty good, and I had a reasonable awareness of things that were high in calories, but when I came here and started logging, I was surprised by nuts, cheese, pears and cereal.

Who knew that 13 cashews was about 100 calories! And was eating about 5 times that amount in an afternoon. And cheese ... I'd have some cheese slices with crackers after work some days ... and be knocking back 300 or 400 calories. I thought pears were full of water ... never thought they'd be up over 100 cal each. And cereal ... a serving of cereal is teensy-tiny. I didn't have cereal often, but when I did, I was pouring myself a BOWL of cereal ... probably 4 or 5 servings.

It's all these little things that sneak up on you. You don't feel like you're eating a lot, but when you start weighing and counting and adding it up ... wow.

I used to eat bowls of cereal like that too. Pretty much every day lol. I miss cereal, but when I look at the box once again and see how tiny that one serving is, I always decide it isnt worth it.

• yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My (thin) husband was curious when I started MFP, so he loaded the app and started logging his food. He was shocked. He honestly had no idea about the calorie, fat or salt content of his food. It's very easy to eat more than you think you're eating, and weighing, measuring and logging your food, even for a brief period, can really be eye-opening (even to thin people!). Give it a try.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Great start Ben !
    Here's my general advice , I haven't looked at your diary and have no clue if its even public. But are you using a food scale to weigh everything you consume ? That's really important.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Nice start. Can you open your diary?
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is a really good start and you should be proud. But what you need to do is, like everyone has said, start logging your food. I used to "eat healthy" but when i started logging, i realised how off i was!! Also, you need to get into the mindset that at your size this is NOT going to be a quick easy journey. You will likely be on this path for years before youre at a point that you feel happy. I dont mean that in any sort of malicious way, you just need to think of this as a new lifestyle, not just a "diet".
  • cricketbird1
    cricketbird1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello, all, I'm new here. My name is Ben, I'm 30 years old, I'm about 5'10", and I weigh about 290 lbs. My current weight is the result of a very slow journey over the last decade, where I didn't do any amount of considerable exercise. I decided finally to start doing something in early July.

(I should point out that I can't run--waaay too hard on my knees right now. I hope to be able to, though, after losing more weight.)

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

Ben

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You're moving more and you have identified the need for, and started improving your dietary intake. That's brilliant.

What you now need to do is ensure you are eating at a calorie deficit.

Start by continuing eating like you are, log your intake accurately as possible for around two weeks, and observe trends in your weight.

If you're losing, you're in a deficit. Losing slowly, you can increase the deficit by consuming less calories. Losing too fast, decrease the deficit by consuming more calories.

If there is no real loss or gain, you are eating at maintenance calories. Decrease calories.

If you are gaining weight, you are eating at a calorie surplus. Decrease calories.

The above, is non-negotiable, it's how we work as human beings.

Then the fun starts. You need to create a sustainable dietary intake that you can adhere to for the rest of your life. You will get various opinions from every end of the spectrum regarding every little point, high carb, low carb, sugar is bad, sugar is good, dietary fat is good, dietary fat is bad, pop is bad, pop is good, consume 6 times your body weight a day or you muscles will drop off etc. etc. etc.

But what you must remember is you need something that works for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen and gain health and fitness with exercise.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Great start! It sounds like you need to keep adding more movement and more intensity if you want to see results.

Are you getting 10,000 steps per day? That might be a good goal for the near future.
  • ben7072
    ben7072 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay, started logging food two days ago. I was just curious, so I kept eating what I had been eating to see how it would all stack up.

Looks like I'm coming in at just a few hundred calories under goal each day (so far, anyway--two days =/= two weeks). So if I am losing weight, it must just be happening really slowly. What really surprises me is the calorie loss it's claiming for my walk--a little over 400 calories for two miles? Is it busted, or am I losing such a high amount each time only because I'm as overweight as I am (290 at 5'10")? Also, do I need to be consistent about the time of day I weigh myself?

I definitely get over 10k steps a day--a lot of that comes from the two-mile walk, but there's also plenty of steps taken throughout the day around the office, to the train station, and to lunch.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Again, can you open your diary?