September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Keeping a journal (even if only here in this thread) I've found to be very motivating. For those new to logging you might *also* consider using an app like Strava. Not only are the run stats useful for looking at progress over time but the interface is great for selecting which shoes I run in (I have four pair on the go at present) so I get accurate miles on shoe stats too.

So many interesting posts to read through, damn the success of this group! ;-)

@ddmom0811 congrats on your new training run distance record. You'll achieve another soon enough! Likewise @7lenny7, great achievement! You earned those fish and chips! PS leukotape ordered. It'll be handy for my kid's soccer shoe blister prevention too.

Blisters be damned, today went out for a nice recovery run with Sue and Kady down through the University Endowment Lands to the dog beach for a swim in the ocean. It was a biathlon only for Kady though.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		036.93 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (11% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sep 07 07.82 km Exploring a different trail to the dog beach
    Sep 06 21.21 km Running gentle hills around the lake, felt great save for blisters
    Sep 05 -----    Life break, coaching soccer 
    Sep 04 07.90 km UBC forest - Date Run Friday!
    Sep 03 -----    More of same
    Sep 02 -----    More of same
    Sep 01 -----    Life break, running an evacuation centre

Mid-run swim in English Bay, Vancouver. Tons of happy dogs and their peoples.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

10Km this morning
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/9 12 miles
    02/9 12 miles
    03/9 10k
    04/9 12 miles
    05/9 10k
    06/9 34.1k
    07/9 10k
    08/9 20k

153.8km/400

wanted to run 12 miles but done a bit more, 20km, amazing run this morning, felt really well

met a few foxes, one in particular must have been curious as it tried to follow me

left at 455, from a wonderful moon and stars I then had a nice raising sun

• vonntaylor
    vonntaylor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1/9 2.61km
    3/9 5.01km
    6/9 5.00 km
    8/9 5.01km

Total 17.63/60

I'm super happy about today's run as I knocked 93seconds off my previous fastest 5k which gave me my first sub 35min (34:33 to be precise). Also my first run where the first km didn't make me want to vomit. Happy days.

@rogue024 That is a gorgeous view.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for September

9/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    9/2 6.6 miles - 17.1
    9/3 9.5 miles - 26.6
    9/4 6.85 miles - 33.45
    9/5 20 miles - 53.45
    9/6 REST DAY
    9/7 10.4 miles - 63.95
    9/8 10.25 miles - 74.2

exercise.png

• ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    9/1- 3
    9/6- 3
    9/7- 3
    9/8- 3

exercise.png
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    01/09 - 4.52 km
    02/09 - 3.04 km - A nice evening run
    03/09 - 4.56 km - Lunchtime run but without my run buddy :-(
    04/09 - Rest
    05/09 - Rest
    06/09 - 6.07 km - Lovely evening run
    07/09 - 2.04 km - Quick blast on the treadmill to finish my strength training session
    08/09 - 4.56 km - My run buddy pushed me hard today but I did get a new PB having cut off over a minute since last week :smile:

exercise.png

• smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I lost a run day this weekend. I just couldn't say no to hiking...a beautiful 9 mile jaunt through the mountains.

9.2: 1.25 - 1.25
    9.3: 4.1 - 5.35
    9.4: 2.4 - 7.75
    9.8: 4.3 -12.05

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - rest day
    9/2 - 5.2 miles treadmill "hill" workout with HM training group
    9/3 - 4.5 miles around the 'hood...heat and humidity is back 74° and sticky at 5:30 a.m.
    9/4 - 4 miles in the humidity...pretty good pace today
    9/5 - 8.2 mi with HM training group...tough, ended with a 1/2 mile hill...twice.
    9/6 - unplanned rest day
    9/7 - 5.76 miles of intervals with HM group
    9/8 - 4 miles in drippy, sprinkly and still humid weather...where is fall?

exercise.png
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In for 45, starting kind of late!

9/8 4 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 3.5 miles - way too many pushes on the snooze this morning! :smiley:
    9/2 - rest day walked the doggie instead
    9/3 - 5.1 miles
    9/4 - 10 miles last 2 were HOT HUMID and MISERABLE LOL
    9/5 - rest day - cross country meet - Skip did great 24th in her division 23:37 no where near a PR but it was so hot and humid you could hardly stand to be out there to watch let alone run. Proud of my girl.
    9/6 - 5.1 miles
    9/7 - 5.2 miles of trail running - OMG we had so much fun!!! Skip wanted to practice trail running for her meets and folks gave me some great recommendations of trails to run. We went out this morning and had a blast. The first trail was marked as easy/difficult so it was some easy packed dirt and some gravel with harder roots and rocks to climb. The second was difficult and some parts were about 2' wide and quite a climb (for me LOL). We loved it!
    9/8 - 5.1 miles

34 of 120 miles

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @7lenn7 - it must be a daughter thing. My 9 year-old is always taking glasses into her room and leaving them there. No mold yet, but I am sure it will happen.
    @skippygirlsmom - love the trail pics! So great that you do this together and share a love of running!
    @BanksySJ11 - congrats on the first HM! Did my first just under a year ago and it got me hooked on this running thing.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles for me at lunch time today at 7mph. 16.5 miles in total for the month :-)
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 6 mile steady run (6 total)
    9/2 - 4 mile easy run (10 total)
    9/3 - 8.5 mile long run (18.5 total)
    9/5 - 13 mile long run (31.5 total)
    9/6 - 4 mile easy run (35.5 total)
    9/7 - 4.5 miles fartleks (40 total)
    9/8 - 4 mile easy run (44 total)

Goal 166 miles

exercise.png

• kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like I'm taking another rest day. Record temps today, kids dismissed at 11am, and air quality warning. Boo.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Be careful out there and so sorry he clipped you. Did he get charged for anything?

There was no citation listed on the police report. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I had to put 2.3 more miles in last night so my son could get his miles. I was tempted to tell him run by himself, but the chance to run with him was worth the little bit of extra pain. He ended up running the last half mile ahead of me because he said it felt better to run faster.

9/01 - Rest
    9/02 - 6.1 Miles, 11:03 pace, 137 HR, 72F
    9/03 - 5.0 Miles, 10:53 pace, 142 HR, 77F
    9/04 - 8.1 Miles, 12:11 pace, 136 HR, 83F
    9/05 - Family Day! - Innertubing down a nearby river and going out to eat.
    9/06 - 7.7 Miles (5.2 + 2.5), First run: 11:05 pace, 139 HR, 76F, Second run with the kid. Also got in a 3 mile walk with Kody.
    9/07 - 13.1 Miles <-- New distance PR! 10:59 pace, 138HR, 68F
    - 2.3 Miles

Goal: 135 Miles
    Progress: 42.3 Miles
    Remaining: 92.7 Miles

My main running log is a Google spreadsheet. When I started I was dancing from app to app trying to find "the best" and wasn't 100% satisfied with any of them so I was keeping the spreadsheet as a central log. I then got the Forerunner 305, loved the Garmin Connect web interface, and quit trying apps. I now keep a log in 3 places:

Run Log (Google doc) - all encompassing run log with date, planned run distance, actual distance, total time, ave. pace, ave HR, weekly totals, notes, monthly totals, and a graph of monthly totals. To the side I also keep my paces & heart rates for the various run types.
    Half Marathon Training Log (Google Doc) - This was intended to see how well I followed my HM training plan but I'm now so far ahead of the plan that I've turned this into a concise table of days, miles and weekly totals. I could probably delete this.
    Garmin Connect - This is where I download my GPS data. In return I get maps of my runs, a gauge of my goal progress (that's what I usually post here), Shoe mileage totalizer, the ability to create and save running routes, or "courses", tracking of segment performance and PR's. Features it has that I don't use are calendars, weight & calorie tracking, groups, connections ("friends"), training plans, and workouts. I may start using the workout now that I'm starting tempo and speedwork. This will allow me to send the workout data to my GPS to help me stick with my pace/time goals for a particular run.

I had tried Strava but quit using it when I started Garmin Connect, but so many here are using Strava I decided to give it another chance to see if there's anything it offers beyond what I already have.

@endlessenigma, that app is only a reflection of the accomplishment, not the actual accomplishment. Way to go!
    @juliet3455, I love the term "gutter run"!
    @mwyvr, I had leukotape on the back of each heel for my 13.1 yesterday and it stayed on through the entire run and even in the shower. I would not recommend it for nipples, however. While it does come off easy, it still takes a bit of force that would HURT tender nips. I may experiment with bringing tape with me on a run, but not applying it right away, by wrapping it up around something, like a pencil stub so I can have it with me in case I start developing a hot spot. I used to do this with duct tape when I'd go into the Boundary Water Canoe area to minimize weight.
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I had to put 2.3 more miles in last night so my son could get his miles. I was tempted to tell him run by himself, but the chance to run with him was worth the little bit of extra pain. He ended up running the last half mile ahead of me because he said it felt better to run faster.

9/01 - Rest
    9/02 - 6.1 Miles, 11:03 pace, 137 HR, 72F
    9/03 - 5.0 Miles, 10:53 pace, 142 HR, 77F
    9/04 - 8.1 Miles, 12:11 pace, 136 HR, 83F
    9/05 - Family Day! - Innertubing down a nearby river and going out to eat.
    9/06 - 7.7 Miles (5.2 + 2.5), First run: 11:05 pace, 139 HR, 76F, Second run with the kid. Also got in a 3 mile walk with Kody.
    9/07 - 13.1 Miles <-- New distance PR! 10:59 pace, 138HR, 68F
    - 2.3 Miles

Goal: 135 Miles
    Progress: 42.3 Miles
    Remaining: 92.7 Miles

My main running log is a Google spreadsheet. When I started I was dancing from app to app trying to find "the best" and wasn't 100% satisfied with any of them so I was keeping the spreadsheet as a central log. I then got the Forerunner 305, loved the Garmin Connect web interface, and quit trying apps. I now keep a log in 3 places:

Run Log (Google doc) - all encompassing run log with date, planned run distance, actual distance, total time, ave. pace, ave HR, weekly totals, notes, monthly totals, and a graph of monthly totals. To the side I also keep my paces & heart rates for the various run types.
    Half Marathon Training Log (Google Doc) - This was intended to see how well I followed my HM training plan but I'm now so far ahead of the plan that I've turned this into a concise table of days, miles and weekly totals. I could probably delete this.
    Garmin Connect - This is where I download my GPS data. In return I get maps of my runs, a gauge of my goal progress (that's what I usually post here), Shoe mileage totalizer, the ability to create and save running routes, or "courses", tracking of segment performance and PR's. Features it has that I don't use are calendars, weight & calorie tracking, groups, connections ("friends"), training plans, and workouts. I may start using the workout now that I'm starting tempo and speedwork. This will allow me to send the workout data to my GPS to help me stick with my pace/time goals for a particular run.

I had tried Strava but quit using it when I started Garmin Connect, but so many here are using Strava I decided to give it another chance to see if there's anything it offers beyond what I already have.

@endlessenigma, that app is only a reflection of the accomplishment, not the actual accomplishment. Way to go!
    @juliet3455, I love the term "gutter run"!
    @mwyvr, I had leukotape on the back of each heel for my 13.1 yesterday and it stayed on through the entire run and even in the shower. I would not recommend it for nipples, however. While it does come off easy, it still takes a bit of force that would HURT tender nips. I may experiment with bringing tape with me on a run, but not applying it right away, by wrapping it up around something, like a pencil stub so I can have it with me in case I start developing a hot spot. I used to do this with duct tape when I'd go into the Boundary Water Canoe area to minimize weight.

I have my Garmin Connect account automatically post my runs onto strava. And my Garmin watch will automatically synch when I activate blutooth on my phone.

People I know are more active on strava. I like the CRs and leaderboards from all the groups I belong to.
    There is a MFP group on strava at

https://www.strava.com/clubs/myfitnesspalclub

Also, do you use the shoe log feature on either strava (and I think GC does it now)?
    I have like 7 pairs of shoes that I rotate, so this is a neccessity.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I also know a few people that love running ahead. I never played with it much but has some powerful features.
    http://www.runningahead.com/