Why am I not loosing weight quicker?

Options
2»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you think you're burning per class?

Usually around 500-630 per class the strength one is around 310.
    Seems on the high side, especially the strength one.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    8lbs in 4 weeks is an absolutely fantastic loss. You are losing the maximum 2lb per week - congratulations, why are you disappointed with this? What were you expecting?

Because I've lost 2lbs a week before just tracking and not exercising I thought I loose it quicker since I'm doing 5 classes a week?

If you are new to exercise then it can cause your rate of loss on the scale to slow down over the short term as your body retains fluid for a number of reasons. You may be losing more fat than the 2 lbs per week which is being masked on the scale.

Fat loss is the name of the game.

I would suggest keep doing what you are doing and reassess in 3 weeks time.
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

so lets say on average your using around 500 calories per class that's 2500 calories a week. you need to burn 3500 calories per week to make a 1 pound weight loss not that i'm saying you should do more what your doing is great.

i'm just showing how important diet is compared to exercise.
  • feefeemac3133
    feefeemac3133 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I get told the calorie amounts after the classes, it's an online thing for 45 mins.
  • feefeemac3133
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    8lbs in 4 weeks is an absolutely fantastic loss. You are losing the maximum 2lb per week - congratulations, why are you disappointed with this? What were you expecting?

Because I've lost 2lbs a week before just tracking and not exercising I thought I loose it quicker since I'm doing 5 classes a week?

If you are new to exercise then it can cause your rate of loss on the scale to slow down over the short term as your body retains fluid for a number of reasons. You may be losing more fat than the 2 lbs per week which is being masked on the scale.

Fat loss is the name of the game.

I would suggest keep doing what you are doing and reassess in 3 weeks time.

Ah ok thanks!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. Keep it up!
  • feefeemac3133
    Options
    Steve4239 wrote: »

so lets say on average your using around 500 calories per class that's 2500 calories a week. you need to burn 3500 calories per week to make a 1 pound weight loss not that i'm saying you should do more what your doing is great.

i'm just showing how important diet is compared to exercise.

Ok thanks for info, I didn't know that!
  • feefeemac3133
    Options

2 lbs per week is solid progress. Don't compare this time to a different time because you are trying to lose once again so the previous attempt shouldn't be something to be compared to

Thanks!
  • feefeemac3133
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. Keep it up!

Thanks!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I get told the calorie amounts after the classes, it's an online thing for 45 mins.
    I'm much larger than you and I might net that kind of burn running for an hour.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    2lbs/week seems about right from the numbers you've posted (if not slightly higher than expected). Bit of maths for you:

3500cal = 1lb
    based on your size and weight you probably need around 2000cal/day to maintain before exercise
    5 classes at ~500 cal a class = 2500cal/week
    deficit through diet =~500cal/day = 3500cal/week
    Total loss/week = ~6000cal = ~1.7lbs

Due to a few estimations we can easily take in to account the 0.3lb difference. A lot of people get a little downhearted at the idea 3500 calories is only 1lb lost, but just find something in you cupboard that weighs this much and you'll see it is significant (and you are losing 2 of these). You're doing great!
  • feefeemac3133
    Options
    2lbs/week seems about right from the numbers you've posted (if not slightly higher than expected). Bit of maths for you:

3500cal = 1lb
    based on your size and weight you probably need around 2000cal/day to maintain before exercise
    5 classes at ~500 cal a class = 2500cal/week
    deficit through diet =~500cal/day = 3500cal/week
    Total loss/week = ~6000cal = ~1.7lbs

Due to a few estimations we can easily take in to account the 0.3lb difference. A lot of people get a little downhearted at the idea 3500 calories is only 1lb lost, but just find something in you cupboard that weighs this much and you'll see it is significant (and you are losing 2 of these). You're doing great!

Great thanks that's very interesting seeing it all written out like that! Yeah I didn't realise 3500 calories is only 1lbs wow :o
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that as you lose weight, your weight loss should slow down gradually. You'll also need to re-evaluate your calorie limit from time to time because as you lose weight, you need less calories, so your old target will inch into maintenance instead of weight loss. I did mine every 10lbs or so that I lost, I don't know if that's the norm or not, but that worked for me.