So in theory you could do no exercise at all and still lose weight with a deficit

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    of course! but exercise is so worth doing for loads of reasons as well as burning calories...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Unless you're filling the space left by the fat with muscle -- exceedingly unlikely -- working out isn't meaningfully going to affect your loose skin. That's a fact.
  • issa0105
    issa0105 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My sis and started started dieting and she lost weight but I haven't. It's soo frustrating :| How do people lose weight without exercise and diet? I think my body just needs both diet and exercise together.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise - but I do believe that exercise will always help in the long run to maintain a healthy heart and lifestyle :)

Cosigned. I sleep and feel better when I exercise. I aspire to be like my mom, who is incredibly active at age 78, rather than my fiance's mom, who has lost most of the muscle tone in her legs and is essentially chair-walker-bed-bound.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    issa0105 wrote: »
    My sis and started started dieting and she lost weight but I haven't. It's soo frustrating :| How do people lose weight without exercise and diet? I think my body just needs both diet and exercise together.

No. Your body needs a caloric deficit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Edited: This is very much a short term/long term issue. For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only deficit matters.

For long term sustainable success exercise is critical. Over 90% of people who have lost over 30lbs and kept this off over one year exercise ~30 mins to 1 hour 5x/week.

Theoretically yes, you can do this without exercise, but you decrease your chances of success in doing so.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is very much a short term/long term issue. For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only diet matters.

For long term sustainable success exercise is critical. Over 90% of people who have lost over 30lbs and kept this off over one year exercise ~30 mins to 1 hour 5x/week.

Theoretically yes, you can do this without exercise, but you decrease your chances of success in doing so.

err no only the deficit matters, it doesnt matter where it comes from.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    This is very much a short term/long term issue. For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only diet matters.

err no only the deficit matters, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

No dispute here, but in terms of results the vast majority will achieve this by monitoring diet and exercise.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I don't see how that is possible. The only way for them to gain weight would to be to eat over maintenance consistently to re-gain the weight. Exercise has nothing to do with that.

If someone wants to sit on their butt the rest of their life and eat at deficit/maintenance they won't gain weight.

I'm not commenting on if it's 'healthy'.

• 999tigger
    Options

No dispute here, but in terms of results the vast majority will achieve this by monitoring diet and exercise.

Thats saying something different from your previous point
    For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only diet matters.

If I burn calories, then the ones I choose not to eat back affect the deficit. Exercise also affects weight loss in other complementary ways. Avtually I wonder what the split is for people losing weight from people who use diet alone, exercise alone (probably the smallest) and both. Because its much harder to burn 500 calories than not eat 500, then i also wonder what % of peoples defiits are made up of exercise calories rather than eating less.

Even if you eat back 100% the flexibility that can give people in making a diet more sustainable is significant.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    not in theory. its a fact.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Not only in theory.
  • CSARdiver
    Options

Thats saying something different from your previous point
    For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only diet matters.

If I burn calories, then the ones I choose not to eat back affect the deficit. Exercise also affects weight loss in other complementary ways. Actually I wonder what the split is for people losing weight from people who use diet alone, exercise alone (probably the smallest) and both. Because its much harder to burn 500 calories than not eat 500, then i also wonder what % of peoples deficits are made up of exercise calories rather than eating less.

Even if you eat back 100% the flexibility that can give people in making a diet more sustainable is significant.

We are in complete agreement. I misstated this and meant to say deficit. I'm trying to keep in context with the origin statement "So in theory you could do no exercise at all and still lose weight with a deficit".

There's a tremendous amount of data here on long term success:

http://www.nwcr.ws/

I agree that it is much easier to not eat than work out; however I also believe this goes against our nature as evidenced by the NWCR results.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

I don't see how that is possible. The only way for them to gain weight would to be to eat over maintenance consistently to re-gain the weight. Exercise has nothing to do with that.

If someone wants to sit on their butt the rest of their life and eat at deficit/maintenance they won't gain weight.

Its based on a survey which showed that 90% of the people who managed to maintain also exercised on a regular basis. If exercise has nothing to do with being able to successfullly maintain then why do such a high % do it? I can think of a few reasons, but part of those who will be succcessful will manage to use the calories burned to assist keeping them at maintenance or in deficit, which is more advantageous who dont have those calories to fall back on, all things being equal.

That is no saying to maintain successfully then you must exercise, because thats not true. Read what was written.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Read what was written.

I did.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Edited: This is very much a short term/long term issue. For the short term and only considering weight loss, yes only deficit matters.

I always see that as a correlation. The people who have the mindset to maintain their weight loss are usually smart enough to know that exercise is healthy, and are disciplined enough to make both a routine.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »

I'm getting more into human behavioral issues with this statement. In order to gain weight you have to eat in surplus, indisputable. However people are rarely successful at keeping weight off merely by diet and will eventually return to old habits and overeat. They stop logging and tracking, stop being aware and mindful, and regain the weight. Exercise acts as an immediate feedback mechanism.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I lose more on the weeks I don't exercise

Yeess. So. True. (for me, anyway) :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost my first thirty pounds without adding any significant exercise.
    I got pink in my cheeks when I started exercising seriously. I like exercising more than dieting, and I find the results (not weight related) to be more immediate.

I think regular exercise might be a keystone habit, an indicator of long term success.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I always see that as a correlation. The people who have the mindset to maintain their weight loss are usually smart enough to know that exercise is healthy, and are disciplined enough to make both a routine.

Correlation is true for me.

I have always exercised when I happen to care about maintaining or losing weight, but it's the mindset that does it, not the exercise. If I had the same motivation but was unable to exercise, I think I'd lose/maintain fine.

I regained after maintaining for 5 years once before, and I stopped exercising before I regained, but I didn't regain BECAUSE I stopped exercising, the same factors resulted in me doing both (largely depression and not caring).