Cooking Challenge: Coconut

Options
2»

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i recently went veg, so i can't eat marshmallows, but i am going to vote for this!!! my grandma makes an excellent marshmallow cake with cocount, so i understand how amazing this must be

i wonder if i could omit the marshmallows and just use marshmallow fluff, which has no animals in it
    5CUP Salad (otherwise known as "GUNK" in our family! )

In large bowl mix 1cup of each:

mandarin oranges ...in own juice or water packed...well drained
    crushed pineapple ...in own juice or water packed ...well drained
    coconut flakes
    mini Marshmallows
    sour cream...we use daisy fat free

Put in Refrig. and chill
    Serve COLD and ENJOY!

Sometimes add chopped walnuts and or cherries...(not figured in values below)
    Values figured using packed in own juice fruits, will be less if packed in H2O

Per 1/2 cup serve :
    111 calories
    24 carbs
    8 protein
    0 cholesterol
    240 sodium
    4 sat fat

A family favorite in the summer!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited that I have a recipe to share! :)
    It's a recipe I found on simplyrecipes.com that I LOVE LOVE LOVE to make all year round. Serves 8 sides or small bowls.

Brazillian fish stew, (Moqueca)

SAM_3643.jpg

Screenshot2011-06-03at70254PM.png

METHOD
    1 Place fish pieces in a bowl, add the minced garlic and lime juice so that the pieces are well coated. Sprinkle generously all over with salt and pepper. Keep chilled while preparing the rest of the soup.

2 If you are planning on serving the soup with rice, start the rice. Prepare as directed on package.

3 Back to the soup. In a large covered pan (such as a Dutch oven), coat the bottom with about 2 Tbsp of olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook a few minutes until softened. Add the bell pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. (At least a teaspoon of salt.) Cook for a few minutes longer, until the bell pepper begins to soften. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and onion greens. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, uncovered. Stir in the chopped cilantro.

3 Use a large spoon to remove about half of the vegetables (you'll put them right back in). Spread the remaining vegetables over the bottom of the pan to create a bed for the fish. Arrange the fish pieces on the vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then add back the previously removed vegetables, covering the fish. Pour coconut milk over the fish and vegetables.

4 Bring soup to a simmer, reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. You may need to add more salt (likely), lime or lemon juice, paprika, pepper, or chili flakes to get the soup to the desired seasoning for your taste.
    Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice or with crusty bread.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    loathesome 219400_2828_thumb

Joined May 2009

Thu 06/02/11 09:37 PM
    i recently went veg, so i can't eat marshmallows, but i am going to vote for this!!! my grandma makes an excellent marshmallow cake with cocount, so i understand how amazing this must be

i wonder if i could omit the marshmallows and just use marshmallow fluff, which has no animals in it

QUOTE:

5CUP Salad (otherwise known as "GUNK" in our family! )

In large bowl mix 1cup of each:

mandarin oranges ...in own juice or water packed...well drained
    crushed pineapple ...in own juice or water packed ...well drained
    coconut flakes
    mini Marshmallows
    sour cream...we use daisy fat free

Put in Refrig. and chill
    Serve COLD and ENJOY!

Sometimes add chopped walnuts and or cherries...(not figured in values below)
    Values figured using packed in own juice fruits, will be less if packed in H2O

Per 1/2 cup serve :
    111 calories
    24 carbs
    8 protein
    0 cholesterol
    240 sodium
    4 sat fat

A family favorite in the summer!

Can you do angel food cake? I think needs something to absorb moisture and flavors. Can Tofu do that?
  • quilter1951
    Options
    Okay i know i'm side tracking ,but what is it with vegs and marshmellows? are they made with egg whites , is that it???
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    bummer.. missed it this week!!

It's now time to vote for the best coconut dish: http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Voting closes Wednesday at 5PM PST.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am making my coconut dish today. I know I missed the challenge, but I'm posting anyway.

Source: http://delightfultastebuds.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/oven-fried-curried-chicken-fingers/

Oven Fried Curried Chicken Fingers
    Ingredients:
    2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts- cut into long strips
    1 Tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    A dash of chili powder (or more if you like spicy)
    1 cup or as much as you need shredded coconut flakes

Directions:
    1. Marinate the chicken breast strips with salt, pepper, curry powder, chili powder and coconut milk for 2 hours or overnight

2. Pre heat oven to 350°F

3. Mix in the shredded coconut flakes to the marinated chicken. No need to roll them one by one if you can just mix all of them together with spoon

4. Place on the baking sheet, lined with foil- trust me it’ll save you hassle of cleaning the baking sheet later on!

5. Bake for about 15 minutes

6. Change the oven setting to broil, turn up the temperature to 400F – broil for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Keep an eye on this! The coconut flakes will turn from golden to charred brown in a second if you are not careful enough. Watch it like a hawk!

7. Remove from heat and serve with your favorite condiments!

Making it tonight and will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipes, everyone! I am loving coconut this season. Adding coconut flour to my smoothies, made some coconut flour pancakes a few weeks ago, and used coconut milk to make a pretty yummy Curried Millet Stew a few weeks ago. Coconut's the best!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    ^ thats a nice looking recipe meagalayne.

Bet its good with spicy peanut dip :o)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Make sure you vote!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Vote by tomorrow for the best coconut dish!
  • mehmig
    mehmig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows are made with gelatin which is made from animal bones, etc.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Break the tie!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    i made the coconut jello pudding OMG! i love it
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Help break the tie! I'm leaving it open for another half of an hour!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to mamaturner with the Ginger Chicken and Coconut Soup!

Enter the lemon challenge: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/256725-cooking-challenge-lemon

:)