Do you lose more when you eat less processed food?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Yes. :)

Eating potato chips, or chocolate chip cookies (my two main downfalls) adds a LOT of calories to my diet but neither one keeps me full for very long. So therefore not only am I eating the chip/cookie calories but then I'm starving and eating a bunch of other stuff. By simply eliminating those things -- and white bread, certain cold cereals (especially for breakfast), etc. -- I'm replacing them with foods that have protein and that keep me full till the next meal time. So I don't have any binges or that shaky type of hunger.
    Not trying to derail the thread at all (to reply to whoever said that above). But if I eat certain types of things I cannot stay within my calories because it makes me too hungry. So from a purely calorie point of view I couldn't do it.
    i completely agree with this post on @Monklady123 's previous post

while a calorie is just a calorie, the nutrition content made a huge difference.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No. I haven't seen a difference. Even with processed foods I don't eat a high sodium diet, though. If you chose processed options that are high in sodium it might make a difference with water weight.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I could see being hungrier on a diet with a lot of processed stuff, leading to more eating over your goal. Possibly. That and sodium. But not necessarily since it still depends on what those processed foods are.

Even on the hunger issue, exactly this. I eat some processed stuff (as does just about everyone), but the processed stuff I eat (say, adding some smoked salmon to breakfast) is satiating--that's one reason I choose it. But like others have said, OP is asking about keeping calories equal, and there I've seen no difference.

My understanding is that there's some thought that calories from some items, like meat and nuts and higher fiber foods, may be overstated, at least as in what most of us can take from them, so if there's a big shift between these types of foods vs. others, maybe some people actually are getting fewer calories. If OP is talking about eating mostly the same stuff but just having a FiberOne bar or not, though, I can't see how that would make a difference.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    DavisFlem wrote: »

Eating potato chips, or chocolate chip cookies (my two main downfalls) adds a LOT of calories to my diet but neither one keeps me full for very long. So therefore not only am I eating the chip/cookie calories but then I'm starving and eating a bunch of other stuff. By simply eliminating those things -- and white bread, certain cold cereals (especially for breakfast), etc. -- I'm replacing them with foods that have protein and that keep me full till the next meal time. So I don't have any binges or that shaky type of hunger.

It still comes down to self control. Don't blame proceeded foods for the lack of self control.

I'm not. But the OP asked if we lose more from eating less processed food and my answer is "yes". :)
    OP said, "I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer?"

It clearly wasn't about the way of eating question you're using to derail the discussion of whether processed calories cause slower loss than whole calories.

OP understands that eating more will make the situation different. You're just derailing to your low-carb, whole foods hobbyhorse, which has nothing to do with the OP.

lolololol. Go find my reply in the Krispy Kreme donuts thread if you think I'm on a "low carb, whole foods hobby horse". I regulate my carb count because my doctor told me to. And I do eat a donut every once in awhile if I want it. :)

OP, I apologize for what some have called "derailing" your thread. Not intended. I misunderstood your use of "you" and assumed you were asking for our experiences.
    I thought OP was asking for people's experiences. I eat a lot of "processed" food and I've lost a lot of weight. Other people have lost a lot of weight eating less "processed" food.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    But not if eating more of one than the other, because that's a different question. Yeah, if what you're eating leads to your eating more, there will be a difference in outcomes. But, again, that wasn't the question.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

Not trying to derail the thread at all (to reply to whoever said that above). But if I eat certain types of things I cannot stay within my calories because it makes me too hungry. So from a purely calorie point of view I couldn't do it.

while a calorie is just a calorie, the nutrition content made a huge difference.

I wonder how I lost 121 pounds, lol!!

Calories in Calories out, science, read up on it!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Serah87 that might get us a temporary loss, but we seriously lose belly fat which I credit to eating less. I can SEE hubby's belly diminish.

Yes eating less, but it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay in under your calories goal!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes I lose a lot of weight eating healthy foods, but No, it's not the quality of the food that causes it, I don't think. Plenty of anorexics eat junk food and still lose weight...because they eat so very little!

It's a lot easier to stay full when you eat healthier fare because you can eat so much more of it for so few calories. So, that helps with weight loss, I guess. :)

I choose to eat healthier food because it's good for me. I watch my calories because I'm losing weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

To how much you lose, all calories kept equal? I'm not sure what the scientific explanation would be for that.

The main reason I'm responding, though, is that processed doesn't mean "low nutrient" or not satiating, and that's where I disagree with Monklady. My smoked salmon example is a good one, or greek yogurt or cottage cheese are other examples of processed foods that I think have a good nutrition to calorie ratio and tend to make me less hungry. Some people even find Quest bars quite filling.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will probably lose more weight if you eat less "processed" food.

Not because of anything magical about non-processed food.

But simply because most "processed" food is an engineered product that has been designed to be very tasty, very convenient, cheap, and is usually calorie-dense.

So cutting out "processed" foods generally means cutting out calorie-dense foods, which can help with weight loss. Think of it this way: You can eat one Snicker's Bar for 250 calories or two apples for 220. About the same number of calories, but one is a whole lot more compelling for most people to eat, which can lead to self-control issues where you want to eat another one and another one. Not many people binge on apples.

That said, there is nothing "bad" about the Snicker's bar and you could lose weight eating only Snicker's bars.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    From a strictly losing weight standpoint, do you find that you lose more with cleaner foods? I agree with calories in vs calories out for the most point, but I seem to lose a bit more when my calories are made up of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc., then when I allow myself to have some processed treats, like fiber one bars. I'm still losing either way, just not as quickly with more processed foods. I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer? Anyone had a similar experience?

I always get flamed for this by IIFYM/CICO junkies but here you go.

the reason you feel better or lose more on cleaner foods is because your body has a hormonal response to what you eat. IE your body doesn't deal with MCT oil the same way it does with a transfat, although they both equal 9 calories per gram and you can consume 1 gram and = the same amount of calorie intake, your body is better off with the MCT oils versus transfats.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    The confusion is that OP asked about whether you lose more without processed foods if you keep calories equal. People saying "yes, because I ate less," really should be saying no or simply aren't answering the question.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

To how much you lose, all calories kept equal? I'm not sure what the scientific explanation would be for that.

The main reason I'm responding, though, is that processed doesn't mean "low nutrient" or not satiating, and that's where I disagree with Monklady. My smoked salmon example is a good one, or greek yogurt or cottage cheese are other examples of processed foods that I think have a good nutrition to calorie ratio and tend to make me less hungry. Some people even find Quest bars quite filling.

i don't consider those processed. well, the quest bar. but by processed i would mean hot dogs, some brands of mac and cheese, nacho cheese, snickers, etc

i tried a quest bar and i was full 10 min later. but i also don't find oatmeal filling. personal preferences i suppose :)
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have seen no difference with weight loss either unless the processed food is very high in sodium. Then I just retain water and feel all bloated.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The confusion is that OP asked about whether you lose more without processed foods if you keep calories equal. People saying "yes, because I ate less," really should be saying no or simply aren't answering the question.

Right. I feel like the discussion could be translated to this:

OP: Does 2+2 always equal 4? Because I feel like sometimes it doesn't, but I'm not sure.
    Commenters: NO! Sometimes 2+3 = 5 and 2+1 = 3!!! See, the math doesn't always work!

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I wonder how I lost 121 pounds, lol!!

Calories in Calories out, science, read up on it!!
    no one is arguing calories in and calories out
    we only said less process food kept us full longer and therefore less likely to go over our calorie allotment
    i might suggest reading up on reading comprehension

You may want to as well, as satiety has nothing to do with the OP.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

i don't consider those processed. well, the quest bar. but by processed i would mean hot dogs, some brands of mac and cheese, nacho cheese, snickers, etc

i tried a quest bar and i was full 10 min later. but i also don't find oatmeal filling. personal preferences i suppose :)

I guess that's the issue with this conversation. Some people seem to have quite different definitions of "processed foods" than what I think is the correct one. IMO, some processed foods are filling, some are not.

(For what it's worth, I don't find oatmeal especially filling UNLESS I add processed protein powder, and then it is.)

Bigger point, of course, is that OP wasn't asking about what's satiating, but if foods have a different effect on fat gain, even holding calories equal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

OP: Does 2+2 always equal 4? Because I feel like sometimes it doesn't, but I'm not sure.
    Commenters: NO! Sometimes 2+3 = 5 and 2+1 = 3!!! See, the math doesn't always work!

Not only that, but sometimes 3+1 = 4 too!!! And God help us if we have to introduce multiplication, division, or algebra.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    From a strictly losing weight standpoint, do you find that you lose more with cleaner foods? I agree with calories in vs calories out for the most point, but I seem to lose a bit more when my calories are made up of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc., then when I allow myself to have some processed treats, like fiber one bars. I'm still losing either way, just not as quickly with more processed foods. I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer? Anyone had a similar experience?

I always get flamed for this by IIFYM/CICO junkies but here you go.

the reason you feel better or lose more on cleaner foods is because your body has a hormonal response to what you eat. IE your body doesn't deal with MCT oil the same way it does with a transfat, although they both equal 9 calories per gram and you can consume 1 gram and = the same amount of calorie intake, your body is better off with the MCT oils versus transfats.

Aren't you "flaming" said individuals by calling them "junkies"?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Heh, perfect.
This discussion has been closed.