320 pounds on 1,700 a day?????

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just to update! I've since started Intermittent fasting. It's incredible how satiated I feel eating within a small time window. The thing is, when I ate breakfast (like I was supposed to do via what "they" say to do) I always felt hungry. So by 5pm, I've eaten most of my calories and the only thing I could eat was chicken and veggies. SO NOT SATISFYING! So, now I go all day without eating (resting my stomach energy AND increasing metabolism) and eat all my 2,000-2,200 calories in one sitting. It's been shown to HELP increase metabolism and insulin resistance. Also, it's been a life saver for me to not binge anymore because NOTHING is off limits. Thanks again for all the support guys.

1) It depends. If your calorie goal for maintenance is 2200, eating all the calories in one meal or 22 100 calories meals, will be the same. IF will help lose weight only if it helps you eat less per day.
    2)Sorry, but metabolism does not improve. It works just fine no matter when you eat. if you are looking for an eating pattern that will help boost your metabolism, there is no such thing, metabolism does not change.
    3) If IF works for you, absolutely go for it. Jsut understand it is just a way of implementing CICO, a tool, not a magic solution. How long have you been at it? How much have you lost?
  • whipkey80
    whipkey80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you're 320 pounds now, 1700 calories sounds really low. If you tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week, what does it give you?

FWIW, I'm 125 pounds and I eat 1500 calories when I'm trying to lose. Granted, I'm losing 0.5 pounds per week, but you should be able to eat way more than 1700 calories and still lose just fine.

I agree I started at 292 about 6 weeks ago I am down to 272 mfp put my calories at 1780 a day to lose roughly 2 lbs a week I have also added a lot of working out to try and push the weight loss faster and try not to eat back my calories earned. The last few nights I too have been dealing with night time cravings and feeling hungry. It's a never ending battle but I think that 1700 calories seems low.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Uhh....that's not really the best long term plan. (Eat nothing all day and then binge on one 2000 calorie sitting.) You need to talk with a professional to help you develop a healthier relationship with food.

There's not a thing wrong with IF or one meal a day.

Thank you!! I love how those that have never tried it, have everything bad to say.

First of all, on just basic CICO I USED to BINGE. now, I eat 2,200 calories at once. Its not bingeing. Perhaps some of your should do some research on IF. For those that supported me without referring me to psychiatric professionals....sincerely thank you!

And the poster that said "Irs calories in calories out" that Is Exactly right. Typical I would finally be eating the amount of calories I need and NOW I'm told it's unhealthy.

If it really is CICO like ALL OF MYFITNESSPAL agrees, then why is this unhealthy?

Also, there's research that when the body reaches a fasted state, the metabolism actually picks up. Yet ONE MORE COMMENT by someone that didn't even look into it. Thank you all for shooting down anything immediately and telling those on here they have an eating disorder.

I no longer wonder why I don't write on these forums often.
  • LKArgh
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OP, you have been on this site for months, you have lost zero weight. Please listen to the people who shared their stories about how they succeeded. Stop looking for this magical trick, there is none. And do not believe everything you read on the internet. There is even a website promoting the idea that earth is flat. Just because some random guy posts "scientific" facts, it really does not magically become real. If you stopped looking for the magical trick and started thinking about how others did it, it would really make your life simpler.
    And if someone told you a professional could help, this is not an insult. Dietitians, trainers, and yes, therapists, all have their role in helping with weight related issues. Many people use the help of these professionals and there is no shame in it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I technically do intermittent fasting, since I don't eat breakfast except coffee with milk, and I consume all my calories between around noon to six. I have really always done this and never put a label on it. But with that said, intermittent fasting won't do anything for you if you are still consuming more calories than you are burning because weight loss is 100% dependent upon CICO. I still got 50+ pounds overweight even though I only ate one meal and maybe a small lunch.

So what I do today is no different than what I have always done. I don't eat breakfast, have a smoothie with protein for lunch and a larger dinner. But I do this while counting calories and this method has allowed me to lose weight and I am currently 2 pounds away from my first goal of 130 pounds.

It doesn't matter what method you use to lose, as long as you are accurately counting calories and remaining at your daily goal. If IF works for you and allows you to stay at your calorie goal for the day/week, I say go for it.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP, you have been on this site for months, you have lost zero weight. Please listen to the people who shared their stories about how they succeeded. Stop looking for this magical trick, there is none. And do not believe everything you read on the internet. There is even a website promoting the idea that earth is flat. Just because some random guy posts "scientific" facts, it really does not magically become real. If you stopped looking for the magical trick and started thinking about how others did it, it would really make your life simpler.
    And if someone told you a professional could help, this is not an insult. Dietitians, trainers, and yes, therapists, all have their role in helping with weight related issues. Many people use the help of these professionals and there is no shame in it.

Pure ignorance. You my friend are out of your mind!

I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and I'm sedentary. So I KNOW why I've only lOST 8 pounds. To tell me to follow others and do what they've done? No thanks. I'd rather follow the plan that works best for MY body. But you're more than welcome to do what ever you please.

I love IF for the following reason, guys.

1.) Increases Insulin sensitivity
    2.) my cravings are GONE because I can eat whatever I want each day. ANYTHING. IIFYM.
    3.) I'm in ketosis within 8-10 hours. After that, its all fat burn.
    4.) I feel satisfied when I get eat all my calories at once. I feel full and satiated!
    5.) Fat is melting off of me.
    6.) No more mood swings.
    7.) No more afternoon crashes because of carbs or food processing.
    8.) Fasting allows the body to use that energy it would have used for food processing, towards other things (like repairing damaged nerves, DNA, etc)
    9.) It feels natural (because I was bingeing at night, now I can actually take the BINGE out of it and strategically PLAN my meal even if it's huge. )
    10.) Helps clear fatty acids from blood stream, therefore lowering cholesterol.

So no thanks, ignorant angellikikikikikik

I'll stick with what I'm doing.

I have PCOS, am hypothyroid, insuline resistant and have also a few more autoimmune disorders. I also have a desk job. None of them is reason to be overweight, sorry. Have lived with all these 20+ years.
    1) Stop looking for excuses
    2) Stop with the bro-science, because really you just listed a series of nonsense the average teenager could tell you make no sense at all
    3) Stop looking for a magical trick, there is none. There are those who eat more calories than they burn, you can spot them because they are overweight, medical issues or not. Then there are those who are eating less than they burn. Go on the success stories forum, you can spot them because they are the ones who have a success story to tell.
    4) If IF helps you make CICO wokr for you, awesome. If you think having one huge binge-fest in a limited window of a couple of hours, not counting calories, will make your body burn fat, think again. You might even end up gaining.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Also, binging is common. It is however not normal. It is not something you embrace. It is something you figure out if you can solve on your own, or yes, accept that professional help is needed to figure out why this is happening. It is an eating disorder, not a character trait.
  • LKArgh
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok, your avatar looked really familiar and I googled your older posts. Every now and then you come here with a new inspiration, like magical X diet, or Y diet. You are told that any of these will work provided you follow CICO. Then you get upset. Because you just KNOW this is it and it will work for you. So basically, is there a reason you keep posting on a calorie counting site? There are so many "give us your money, we will sell you a magic shake, magic plan, magic cleanse, magic dvd" sites out there ...
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Mmmm necro thread

Thread is alive

it's aliveeeee
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    Ok, your avatar looked really familiar and I googled your older posts. Every now and then you come here with a new inspiration, like magical X diet, or Y diet. You are told that any of these will work provided you follow CICO. Then you get upset. Because you just KNOW this is it and it will work for you. So basically, is there a reason you keep posting on a calorie counting site? There are so many "give us your money, we will sell you a magic shake, magic plan, magic cleanse, magic dvd" sites out there ...

Is there a reason I'm on MFP? I don't know, you tell me. You seem to know EVERYTHING about me. Maybe it's because I need the extra support. However, I don't need people like you slamming any choices I make. I might end up deleting MFP. Its people like you that make fat noobs like me give up.

Btw, this isn't a quick fix. In case you didn't know, The human species has been IF for thousands of years :) But stick to eating 5-6 times a day If you'd like. I'll do what works for me.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options

Pure ignorance. You my friend are out of your mind!

I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and I'm sedentary. So I KNOW why I've only lOST 8 pounds. To tell me to follow others and do what they've done? No thanks. I'd rather follow the plan that works best for MY body. But you're more than welcome to do what ever you please.

I love IF for the following reason, guys.

1.) Increases Insulin sensitivity
    2.) my cravings are GONE because I can eat whatever I want each day. ANYTHING. IIFYM.
    3.) I'm in ketosis within 8-10 hours. After that, its all fat burn.
    4.) I feel satisfied when I get eat all my calories at once. I feel full and satiated!
    5.) Fat is melting off of me.
    6.) No more mood swings.
    7.) No more afternoon crashes because of carbs or food processing.
    8.) Fasting allows the body to use that energy it would have used for food processing, towards other things (like repairing damaged nerves, DNA, etc)
    9.) It feels natural (because I was bingeing at night, now I can actually take the BINGE out of it and strategically PLAN my meal even if it's huge. )
    10.) Helps clear fatty acids from blood stream, therefore lowering cholesterol.

So no thanks, ignorant angellikikikikikik

I'll stick with what I'm doing.

I have PCOS, am hypothyroid, insuline resistant and have also a few more autoimmune disorders. I also have a desk job. None of them is reason to be overweight, sorry. Have lived with all these 20+ years.
    1) Stop looking for excuses
    2) Stop with the bro-science, because really you just listed a series of nonsense the average teenager could tell you make no sense at all
    3) Stop looking for a magical trick, there is none. There are those who eat more calories than they burn, you can spot them because they are overweight, medical issues or not. Then there are those who are eating less than they burn. Go on the success stories forum, you can spot them because they are the ones who have a success story to tell.
    4) If IF helps you make CICO wokr for you, awesome. If you think having one huge binge-fest in a limited window of a couple of hours, not counting calories, will make your body burn fat, think again. You might even end up gaining.

Please tell me what is non-sense that most teenagers would tell me is so? I'm genuinely curious to see your conveluded perceptions again?

And pretty sure you we're the one I added as a friend on here. That's how I look familiar. I removed you a few month's ago ...because you weren't the magical quick fix I needed.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ditsyblond, believe it or not we are not here trying to make your life miserable or attack you. Both Angelikik and I just looked back at your history and you show classic signs of a person with a serious eating disorder. We were concerned. It is not meant to be mean. There is nothing wrong with IF. CICO is all that matters for weight loss. Everybody does things differently based on what works for them. Nobody is arguing these points. BUT I personally think until you address some underlying issues you are going to continue to struggle with your weight. Some things are too big to be addressed on an Internet forum. You're 320 pounds and 25 years old...why not go to a counselor and talk to them about your overeating issues? Sorry it has such a stigma placed on it but it's not a bad thing. If you don't have medical issuance fine I can understand that but you've struggled with this for a long time why not seek a little help from people who deal with this kind of thing?
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When I started reading this thread I was happy for the op because she had a great attitude, was listening, and seemed likely to turn things around. Hopefully now that she has an eating method she likes, she can adjust her deficit so she loses more and regains that positive attitude.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I don't know about all the other stuff going on in this old/new thread, but OP should have no problem losing weight on 2,200 calories for now as long as her logging is accurate and her food is weighed.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    BMR = 2,244. TDEE is 2,692

So 2 pounds a week would mean I should eat 1,700 a day :( maybe it's just all in my mind. I am at a loss. Seriously feel like crying again. I've never been so sad.

I think you're punishing yourself for no reason. If you're struggling with a 1000 calorie deficit (2 lbs) then lower it to either 750 (1.5 lbs) or 500 (1 lb). Stop torturing yourself. For one , it isn't kind , and two IT ISNT WORKING! So be nice to yourself and allow a more conservative deficit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm a little too ashamed to open it up, quite honestly. I feel horrible about it and don't even want to look. Lol I had healthy lean proteins all day, lower carbs and healthy fats. I did all the right things. Except For the eating 1,000 extra calories part ;)

I detected a bit of trouble in this statement. Low carb and low fat don't work. If your trying to eat low carb, you need to eat more fat. That means stay away from lean cuts unless you're adding butter to them. That's what will make you feel full.
    I also immediately wondered if you are insulin resistant or pre diabetic. What you're describing happening at night sounds a lot like low blood sugar. Might not be, but... If you are IR or PreT2, the puzzle pieces fit. This is easily managed with a low carb high fat plan.
    Thanks everyone, just to update! I've since started Intermittent fasting. It's incredible how satiated I feel eating within a small time window. The thing is, when I ate breakfast (like I was supposed to do via what "they" say to do) I always felt hungry. So by 5pm, I've eaten most of my calories and the only thing I could eat was chicken and veggies. SO NOT SATISFYING! So, now I go all day without eating (resting my stomach energy AND increasing metabolism) and eat all my 2,000-2,200 calories in one sitting. It's been shown to HELP increase metabolism and insulin resistance. Also, it's been a life saver for me to not binge anymore because NOTHING is off limits. Thanks again for all the support guys.

I'm glad this seems to be helping. I also do intermittent fasting and very low carb/high fat.
    I see that you did mention insulin resistance...
    If you are interested in learning more about low carb, send me a friend request. I have lots of great friends that have reversed their T2D and no longer have IR issues.
    Best of luck to you.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7. 25 And 325 pounds. I will open my diary now. Please be nice, I'm very sensitive tonight :(
    FWIW - take my information with a grain of salt. I'm twice your age, a male and about 8 inches taller than you. I eat around 2500 cal a day and I've been losing at least 2 pounds a week for the past nine weeks. I think everybody else is on the right track saying you should probably up your calories a little bit.

• jenms33
    jenms33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This may not be the case at all with you, however at night when you get hungry ask yourself what are you really craving. I have dieted for years, two years ago I lost 50 pounds but gained it all back. I didn't really think I was an emotional eater however I am. I started therapy for another totally different reason and one of the books I was told to read discussed how people deal with trauma and the coping mechinisms people use. My highest category of how i cope is numbing. I didn't realized I would do this but when I started to think about my day and how I react to things I realized I use food as a numbing device. IF my husband and I fight instead of facing it I would turn on the tv and eat. Or if I am stressed about my family I will do the same thing. When I'm dieting I can do good during the day but when I go home I struggle. So I started to pay attention to when I decide to eat at night (after my supper) usually it is when I'm bored or I am sad, upset, over something my husband did. I really try to think about what I am truly craving when i go to eat when I probably should not be hungry. This may be overly psychological and you may just be truly hungry but I know for me its much deeper. It took me along time and many failed attempts at weight loss to figure this out.
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    BMR = 2,244. TDEE is 2,692

So 2 pounds a week would mean I should eat 1,700 a day :( maybe it's just all in my mind. I am at a loss. Seriously feel like crying again. I've never been so sad.
    I just started on this site Friday I feel the same way I'm hungry at night but late night.
    What is BMR & TDEE?
    I'm 36 5'2 & 270 my calorie intake I'd 1330 I'm just going on what MFP told me