Is chlorine in our water negative for better health?

Options
newwaveenviro.com/blog/post/breakdown-chlorine-body

Cancer fighting nutrients become deadly when combined with chlorinated tap water.

Some of nature's most valuable and essential anticancer and anti-disease phytochemical nutrients which are commonly found in food, have been discovered to form deadly cancer causing substances when consumed or combined with chlorinated tap water. This discovery includes familiar foods including soy, fruits, vegetables, tea, many health products, and even some vitamins.

Recently, a joint study was undertaken in Japan by research scientists at the National Institute of Health Sciences and Shizuoka Prefectural University. They determined that natural organic substances originating from foods, including fruits, soy, and green or black tea, react when tap water is chlorinated, forming dangerous cancer causing compounds. These deadly compounds have been named MX, which stands for "unknown mutagen", and are similar to the already well-known and more easily detected cancer causing THMs (trihalomethanes).

The Japanese scientists specifically mentioned that their studies showed that MX is created by the reaction of chlorine with natural organic plant phytochemicals such as catechins, which are contained in tea and flavonoids, which are found in fruit. To make things worse, it is certain that the fresh plant foods we eat similarly react with the chlorinated tap water we drink with our meals. This means that fresh fruits and vegetables, green salads, green tea, black tea, herb teas, soy products, vitamin pills and various health supplements, and even some pharmaceutical drugs, all can be implicated in combination with chlorinated water. These foods contain a significant amount of nutritional phytochemical groups including hormones, sterols, fatty acids, polyphenols, and ketones, which subgroups include but are not limited to: flavins, flavonoids, flavones, tannins, catechins, quinones, isoflavones, tocopherols, etc.

These compounds are some of the most valuable and promising anticancer nutrients found in our foods and health supplements. Coenzyme Q10 is a quinone, vitamin B-2 is a flavin, vitamin E is a tocopherol, citrus bioflavonoids including hesperidin, quercetin, and rutin are all flavonoids. Green tea contains catechins, phenols, tannins, and isoflavones. Potentially all of these substances, and many more, are implicated by chlorination.

The deadly cancer causing agents that are produced are extremely toxic in infinitesimal amounts, so small and obscure that they are extremely difficult to detect. Very little chlorine is required. When the concentrations of photochemical are high, such as in concentrated health supplements, or even fruits and vegetables coming from more fertile soils, the deadly combination with chlorination intensifies.

It has been known by the water treatment and chemical industries for many years that chlorine reacts negatively with natural organic compounds. These industries call these compounds DBPs (disinfection by-products) which are known to cause cancer ..........

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What is the alternative for our drinking water?
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    What is the alternative for our drinking water?

Let the tapwater sit overnight. The chlorine will evaporate. If the water is chloraminated though, no such luck.
    Either way you can filter it through an active carbon filter.

Depending on the US municipality, water can go from chlorinated to "H0lee $heeet it smells like a public swimming pool" bad.
    Read the water reports of your water provider.

As far as the OP... I would recommend watching "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Does that really seem like a legit source to you?
    I'm with you on this, these hipee anti-chemical websites and organizations always seem to do a good job at taking things out of context and go down "slippery slopes" based on illogical half-truths

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    not finding any citations on this particular study, although there are quite a few woo sites who make reference to it.....
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying it with that link. Post a better research link that supports this and I might read it.
    Oh and I have well water that gets filtered through the process of reverse osmosis so I guess I'm in the clear....
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to hear how it has affected OP's arthritis.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm waiting to hear how it has affected OP's arthritis.

daily-show-spit-take.gif
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that's not the plot for the next Godzilla movie?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So.... don't make fruit teas with tap water?
    darksouls-chaoseater.jpg
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    At least chlorine has a purpose--to kill microorganisms. I'm more frustrated with the fluoride addition to water, which is nearly inescapable and really doesn't do anything at all. But I don't lose sleep over it.

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10590500500234988
    3-Chloro-4-(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2(5H)-furanone, better known by its historical name ‘mutagen X’ or MX, is a chlorination disinfection byproduct that forms from the reaction of chlorine and humic acids in raw water. MX has been measured in drinking water samples in several countries at levels that ranged from non-detectable to 310 ng/L. Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes), some have hypothesized that MX might play a role in the increased cancer risks that have been associated with the consumption of chlorinated water. This hypothesis is based on observations that MX, in some test systems, is extremely potent relative to trihalomethanes in inducing DNA damage and altering pathways involved in cell growth, and that in some epidemiological studies increased cancer rates are associated with the bacterial mutagenicity of disinfected water of which MX contributes a significant portion. MX also appears to be more potent than other chlorination by-products in causing cancer in animals. This article reviews the available evidence on the carcinogenicity of MX. MX induced cancer at multiple sites in male and female rats, acted as a tumor initiator and promoter, enhanced tumor yields in genetically modified rodents, induced a myriad of genotoxic effects in numerous in vitro and in vivo test systems, and was a potent inhibitor of gap junction intercellular communication. Although the precise mechanism of MX-induced DNA damage is not known, MX is able to cause DNA damage through an unusual mechanism of ionizing DNA bases due to its extremely high reductive potential. MX may also cause mutations through DNA adduction. This article develops a mean cancer potency estimate for MX of 2.3 (mg/kg-d)−1 and an upper 95% percentile estimate of 4.5 (mg/kg-d)−1, and examines the potential health risks posed by this chlorination contaminant in drinking water. A discussion of additional data that would be desirable to better characterize the risks posed by MX and other halogenated hydroxyfuranones follows.

Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower than other common chlorinated by-products of concern (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    Although the concentration of MX in drinking water is typically 100- to 1000-fold lower (e.g., trihalomethanes),
    100- to 1000-fold lower
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder how much faster all the pathogens would kill you if the tap water was not chlorinated. Pretty dang quick, I would think.

I'd solve that problem the same way they did in the days of old. Beer for everyone!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Don't tell that to your dentist. My friend complains that there is a huge upsurge in cavities, and although they are correlation studies, many dentists believe this is due to people using bottled water which is not fluorinated.
    Yeah, don't tell the dentists. They really buy into the conspiracy and get mad when you've seen through it. Dang sheeple.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Chlorine and fluoride are sideshows to distract us from the real killer in our water supply:

sign2.jpg
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I'd solve that problem the same way they did in the days of old. Beer for everyone!

giphy.gif
  • MSMomNurse
    MSMomNurse Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Well, gee, OP, I guess my choices are die of cholera, typhoid, cryptosporidium, dysentery, etc...

...or risk the entirely unlikely and highly suspect "unknown mutagen" you nutters have made up.

I go with make-believe.

P.S. is the MX you refer to the secret ingredient that made the PowerPuff girls so awesome? If so, I'm off to my lab with my chlorinated public tapwater, a couple bags of black tea, sugar, and spice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Does that really seem like a legit source to you?

This is my question as well.

Besides this, everything seems to have some kind of scare, if you will.