Bread

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I love the take and bake loaves, multi grain now.
    I pretty much limit amounts of everything I eat now, not just bread. No food is really off limits, just way less of all food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A relative was telling me they read somewhere that whole wheat bread is responsible for fat accumulation in the midsection (I have yet to see the source). I've read a bunch of conflicting articles which left me confused and lost in the whole grain vs whole wheat debate. I'm staying away from bread as much as possible until I get it figured out.

Nope
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    A relative was telling me they read somewhere that whole wheat bread is responsible for fat accumulation in the midsection (I have yet to see the source). I've read a bunch of conflicting articles which left me confused and lost in the whole grain vs whole wheat debate. I'm staying away from bread as much as possible until I get it figured out.

Just as a bit of anecdotal evidence ... I've lost 20 kg, including quite a bit around my midsection, while eating about twice as much bread as I used to before I started losing weight. :)

So IMO, bread is not the culprit ... eating too many calories is.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @hollie894 there's a flaw in your burger. The drippings leak out the hole in the bottom.

@Optimistical1 your friend/neighbour is likely channelling the book "Wheat Belly". It is all too easy to blame one food on the obesity epidemic. But I suspect the truth is far more complex and mundane.

We can't blame all our health woes on one food. It's everything we eat that contributes.

I love all the firm textured breads like the ryes, ciabatta, and sourdough. They contribute sustained energy in the form of carbohydrates and are the foundation of many great sandwiches. Not to mention bulk and fiber.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel better and think (real or just feel this way) I lose weight better when I don't eat as much bread. If I do eat bread, I want it to be good bread...not just your basic sandwich bread for it to be worth the calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Empty calories?
    So you think that bread doesn't have any nutritional value then.

Why are you ignoring the protein, fat, B vitamins, thiamin, niacin, iron, calcium and fibre....

Have you actually read a food label and tried to understand it?

This^

Some breads are better than others. Read a label.

I won't be giving up bread for the rest of my natural life......so there's really no point in giving it while trying to lose weight.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Breadfan
    Open up your mind
    Open up your purse
    Never, never, never gonna lose it
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I love bread but it doesn't love me.

:) I no longer eat bread either. it wasn't a healthy relationship, but I am lucky in that I didn't like many breads, especially after having to switch to gluten free bread. Ick.

I do miss a really good sourdough with a thick layer of butter on top though.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Bread is delicious. Especially hot, fresh from the oven Italian. Having said that, I tend to limit my bread intake because of dessert...LOL
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For me, bread and other baked goods are bad. So very delicious, but taboo. It's my own fault because I overeat them, once I start. Just a nibble is not enough. I feel so much better when I don't eat these foods, both physically AND mentally. There have been chocolate chip cookies on the island since I began this weight loss journey and they aren't calling my name any more when I walk by. For the first two weeks, both the cookies and the homemade cinnamon buns in the freezer kept up their chant of 'eat me!' But now, 6 weeks in, they have shut up! The ice cream still whimpers in the freezer though, when I pull out the frozen fruit! :)

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I love bread but it doesn't love me.

:) I no longer eat bread either. it wasn't a healthy relationship, but I am lucky in that I didn't like many breads, especially after having to switch to gluten free bread. Ick.

I do miss a really good sourdough with a thick layer of butter on top though.

This...me too...I switched to gf bread for about a month, then decided there are better ways to eat my calories, as the taste of Udi's isn't awful, but it isn't "bread". The only time I really miss it is if we're at the Keg and they bring a hot crusty loaf with real butter....oi....THAT I miss!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    For me, bread and other baked goods are bad. So very delicious, but taboo. It's my own fault because I overeat them, once I start. Just a nibble is not enough. I feel so much better when I don't eat these foods, both physically AND mentally. There have been chocolate chip cookies on the island since I began this weight loss journey and they aren't calling my name any more when I walk by. For the first two weeks, both the cookies and the homemade cinnamon buns in the freezer kept up their chant of 'eat me!' But now, 6 weeks in, they have shut up! The ice cream still whimpers in the freezer though, when I pull out the frozen fruit! :)

I can practically hear the icecream in my freezer too! "Tracy!!!!!!!!!!!!" it screams every nite about 9pm!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Bread = adore.

All types. Crunchy crust with Kerrygold butter is a total win.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    All I know is I want bread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for a while just to see if it made a difference in how I felt (gave up grains in general). It did not.

I still don't eat much when I'm trying to lose weight as I'd usually rather use my calories in other ways. I'm not all that into most bread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That said, I enjoy baking bread and currently am obsessed with a particular sandwich that involves madrange ham, avocado, and jalapenos, so I'll eat bread for that. I also will always save calories for naan, if it's paired with a delicious curry.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have bread most days, but not as much as I used to. One or two slices a day is my norm. In general, I eat more protein than what I did before this "diet", and less fat and carbs (including bread).
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That said, I enjoy baking bread and currently am obsessed with a particular sandwich that involves madrange ham, avocado, and jalapenos, so I'll eat bread for that. I also will always save calories for naan, if it's paired with a delicious curry.

I like the way you think.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm a sandwich gal, so I eat bread regularly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I limit the amount of bread I eat. I feel much better and this step has really helped me reduce my calorie intake. I use whole wheat sandwich thins and smaller thinner loaves. I don't make bread anymore. It's so good and with just 2 of us In the house and watscing cals, it's very difficult if not impossible to eat it in moderation before it goes stale. Despite all the trumpeting that goes on here on MFP some things are just easier to stay away from, for me. It's worked beautifully for 15 months.