Protein Powder Recs?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I guess it's a standard way of business here - thread sidetracked as usual. But, since we're off the course, the OP's claim:
    I have against it that I lost 4lbs in a week not changing my eating but only by removing aspertame and Sucralose drinks and I don't have a headache for once in a long time or an ravenous urge to snack. If you're not going to give advice why post?

is inaccurate. IF the weight loss actually happened, it's not because of abstinence from aspartame or Sucralose, but because of reduced calories. Sucralose has 0 calories, aspartame has 4 calories per gram. So, in order to account for the claimed 4lb weight loss, OP must have not eaten about 3,500 grams (that's 7.7 pounds!!!!) of aspartame. And that's "in a week"!!! Nah, not true.

Yup guess my scale is wrong and for some reason my pants fit better too, weird!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I have against it that I lost 4lbs in a week not changing my eating but only by removing aspertame and Sucralose drinks and I don't have a headache for once in a long time or an ravenous urge to snack. If you're not going to give advice why post?

Because the arbitrary reasons that you attribute to weight loss don't help you or anyone else... especially in this case where something like Splenda is next to nothing, calorie-wise per serving.

In order to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you need to consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend. So if you were correct in your assumption that your 4 lb. weight loss was solely due to restricting artificial sweeteners, then you cut 14,000 artificial sweetener calories from your diet in one week (3,500 calories x 4). That wouldn't even be possible with pure sugar, or any single food.

Reduction of headaches and ravenous urges to snack are also meaningless correlations that you are assigning via a self-fulfilling prophecy, because avoiding artificial sweeteners is healthier "in your mind".

Lastly, there are no scientific studies that label artificial sweeteners as the culprit for headaches or increased appetite. And there are certainly no studies where cutting them out of one's diet results in weight loss, whether directly or indirectly. If anything, they replace higher calorie refined sugar products and therefore result in a lesser weekly caloric intake.

I'm not saying you or anyone else should stop eating/drinking artificial sweeteners. That's a personal choice. I don't know if you're so offended because you sell some or something but I can tell you personally that I did sell herbalife and was surprised how much of their stuff if full of artificial sweeteners. I can choose what I do and do not want to put in my body. Now if you don't have any recommendations why are you here?

Not trying to sell anything... not sure why you got that idea.

I replied to prevent a spread of misinformation, which I see all too much of on these boards.

Did you read my above reply at all? Yes, anyone can choose what to put into their body, but I'm asserting with science that all of the reasons you are suggesting that artificial sweeteners are detrimental are completely false. Countless studies have debunked every single one of your inaccurate correlations.

I don't know how you can say speaking what my experience was is "misinformation". I don't recall you watching me eat or exercise last week. If you did I'm calling the cops.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Because the arbitrary reasons that you attribute to weight loss don't help you or anyone else... especially in this case where something like Splenda is next to nothing, calorie-wise per serving.

In order to lose about one pound of tissue weight, you need to consume about 3,500 calories less than you expend. So if you were correct in your assumption that your 4 lb. weight loss was solely due to restricting artificial sweeteners, then you cut 14,000 artificial sweetener calories from your diet in one week (3,500 calories x 4). That wouldn't even be possible with pure sugar, or any single food.

Reduction of headaches and ravenous urges to snack are also meaningless correlations that you are assigning via a self-fulfilling prophecy, because avoiding artificial sweeteners is healthier "in your mind".

Lastly, there are no scientific studies that label artificial sweeteners as the culprit for headaches or increased appetite. And there are certainly no studies where cutting them out of one's diet results in weight loss, whether directly or indirectly. If anything, they replace higher calorie refined sugar products and therefore result in a lesser weekly caloric intake.

I'm not saying you or anyone else should stop eating/drinking artificial sweeteners. That's a personal choice. I don't know if you're so offended because you sell some or something but I can tell you personally that I did sell herbalife and was surprised how much of their stuff if full of artificial sweeteners. I can choose what I do and do not want to put in my body. Now if you don't have any recommendations why are you here?

I replied to prevent a spread of misinformation, which I see all too much of on these boards.

Did you read my above reply at all? Yes, anyone can choose what to put into their body, but I'm asserting with science that all of the reasons you are suggesting that artificial sweeteners are detrimental are completely false. Countless studies have debunked every single one of your inaccurate correlations.

I don't know how you can say speaking what my experience was is "misinformation". I don't recall you watching me eat or exercise last week. If you did I'm calling the cops.

Hmmmpff... you're just not getting it.

The misinformation you presented is as follows:

1. That you lost 4 lbs. in one week and the only thing you did differently was remove drinks with artificial sweeteners from your diet, thereby blaming the use of artificial sweeteners as the cause.
    2. That you not only correlated a diet devoid of artificial sweeteners with losing 4 lbs. in one week, but you also claimed that it was the reason you were experiencing less headaches and urges to snack.
    3. That you somehow ascertained that normal use of artificial sweeteners is unhealthy in general.

Making these outrageous claims in a public forum can lead to others to believe them and spread that misinformation. I am telling you with extreme confidence that none of the three points you made are accurate. However, if you believe they are correct, then provide scientific proof instead of making arbitrary connections.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I wasn't doubting your scale or your pants, just your rationalization.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

1. That you lost 4 lbs. in one week and the only thing you did differently was remove drinks with artificial sweeteners from your diet, thereby blaming the use of artificial sweeteners as the cause.
    2. That you not only correlated a diet devoid of artificial sweeteners with losing 4 lbs. in one week, but you also claimed that it was the reason you were experiencing less headaches and urges to snack.
    3. That you somehow ascertained that normal use of artificial sweeteners is unhealthy in general.

Making these outrageous claims in a public forum can lead to others to believe them and spread that misinformation. I am telling you with extreme confidence that none of the three points you made are accurate. However, if you believe they are correct, then provide scientific proof instead of making arbitrary connections.

People are free to believe what they want. If they can't research things on their own they shouldn't be on the internet. I'm just speaking from personal experience. Some people are fine with artificial sweeteners and that's great. But clearly I'm not so I'm removing them from my diet. If you only change one thing and it leads to effects it's pretty clear that it would make sense to attribute it to that one change so if I want to do that how does that effect you in any form or fashion? Looks like you're the one not getting it and taking this way too seriously.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

People are free to believe what they want. If they can't research things on their own they shouldn't be on the internet. I'm just speaking from personal experience. Some people are fine with artificial sweeteners and that's great. But clearly I'm not so I'm removing them from my diet. If you only change one thing and it leads to effects it's pretty clear that it would make sense to attribute it to that one change so if I want to do that how does that effect you in any form or fashion? Looks like you're the one not getting it and taking this way too seriously.

I think you're the one who's not getting it. YOU PHYSICALLY CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT BY ONLY REMOVING ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS. IT IS NOT THE WAY SCIENCE WORKS.
  • M30834134
    Options

Or, maybe, there were more changes that you did not realize... Maybe you slept better, maybe there was less stress, maybe you walked longer, maybe you drank more water, maybe it's just that time of the months, maybe you almost got a cold and your body fought through it...
  • abetterluke
    Options
    Not to mention that if you still lost the weight and had no headaches WHILE having protein powder with artificial sweeteners in it then you can't correlate the two at all.
  • M30834134
    Options
    Not to mention that if you still lost the weight and had no headaches WHILE having protein powder with artificial sweeteners in it then you can't correlate the two at all.

:smile: that's a good one!
  • abetterluke
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's like saying "I fit into my pants better and have lost a ton of weight and the only thing I did was start putting my left leg in first instead of my right leg! Except they were backwards..."
  • M30834134
    Options
    Anyway, @redraidergirl2009, there were couple of suggestions for sweetener-free protein powders. I personally tried About Time Protein - 5 ingredients, the label says "No artificial sweeteners" but they use stevia. Maybe give that a try - their website sells small taste packs
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If your aim is to have sweetener free whey then simply get a high grade, unflavoured whey isolate powder, it's really that simple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Presumably anything chocolate flavored will have stevia at the least (I can't tell if sugar is an issue for OP).

I don't really like chocolate-flavored protein powders, although the Jay Robb kind is pretty good. Has stevia and is likely overpriced (I picked it up at WF, so overpriced seems a fair assumption). You can get single serving ones to try.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Make your own with skim milk

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Curds-and-Whey
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    You will need some sugar / pudding to go along with it because there's no #artificialsweeteners

Optimum-Nutrition-Gold-Standard-100-Whey-Double-Rich-Chocolate-748927028669.jpg
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tera's Whey. It has Stevia, and it is very good.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I mix it up brand wise. Don't really care about what it's sweetened with. Right now I'm enjoying Beverly UMP, chocolate. It tastes like Nestle Quik.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I guess it's a standard way of business here - thread sidetracked as usual. But, since we're off the course, the OP's claim:

is inaccurate. IF the weight loss actually happened, it's not because of abstinence from aspartame or Sucralose, but because of reduced calories. Sucralose has 0 calories, aspartame has 4 calories per gram. So, in order to account for the claimed 4lb weight loss, OP must have not eaten about 3,500 grams (that's 7.7 pounds!!!!) of aspartame. And that's "in a week"!!! Nah, not true.

Okay people. Stop getting on OP's case. While no, OP didn't lose 4 lbs of fat, definitely could've been from losing water weight from bloating.
    Artificial Sweeteners do cause extra gas and digestive distress.
    That or OP, you might have a problem with dairy.

• MargaretPinson
    MargaretPinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Precision Engineered whey Isolate from Vitamin World. Says no artificial sweeteners. 130 calories and minimal (less than 1%) carbs, fat and sugar. Tastes good too. All the others I tried were gritty but I like all the ones I have tried from this brand