Lactose intolerant?

Options
As people get older, many start to be unable to produce the lactase enzyme that breaks down lactose in cow's milk products. I think I may have reached that point in my life. I have been having some "tummy troubles," shall we say, and I think I've narrowed it down to milk. I threw out the rest of the milk I had last night and replaced it with soy milk. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try almond or rice milk too. I have that problem and soy milk tends to make me feel 'phlegm-y' I don't have that issue with the others.
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was about your age when it finally dawned on me that every time that I drank a milkshake I felt like my stomach was going to explode. I drank soy milk for years, but recently switched over to almond milk. I don't miss dairy at all.
  • shufie
    shufie Posts: 11
    Options
    i'm 26, and up until i was 23 i was fine with milk, milk products. but once i started having issues, i was able to narrow it down to that. i drink soy or almond milk, and actually prefer it to regular milk anyway. and lactaid is my best friend if i want to enjoy ice cream :)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Taking probiotics for long periods of time can help that. You can buy then from any pharmacy.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try almond or rice milk too. I have that problem and soy milk tends to make me feel 'phlegm-y' I don't have that issue with the others.
    I agree....Soy builds up mucus alot like animal milk..... Good Luck!:drinker:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I was for about a year in a half. It began when I was over weight right before I started to lose the weight. Now I can drink reg. milk however, I stick with raw cows milk sometimes but mainly almond milk bc it's low in calories.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I went though a phase during college. I was drinking several gallons a week. I started using lactaid or whatever the over the counter medicine is that helps. I was not willing to give up my milk and honestly did not know about the other options on the milk front. I got better and now enjoy my milk and milk products!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Taking probiotics for long periods of time can help that. You can buy then from any pharmacy.

That's a good idea. Yogurt doesn't bother me because of the probiotics.
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I was about 20, all of a sudden certain dairy products would really upset my stomach. I have used the almond milk which I much prefer to soy, but lactaid doesn't really help me any. I have found (through trial and error) that it isn't all dairy, just the higher fat content dairy that upsets me. I can have skim milk, low fat cheese (like mozzarella) but no ice cream, whipped cream, or really anything with "cream" or high fat in the dairy products
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You are preaching to the choir! I began developing a lactose-intolerance a few years ago. I am 28 now. However, I also found that soy milk upset my stomach and I'm not a fan of drinking rice or almond milk on its own. Try lactose-free milk! It tastes just like regular milk and leaves my tummy happy!
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Severely! I can only consume lactose free milk, ensures, specifically lactose free protein powders, not just low. Keeps me away from pizza other than once in a while. I can eat cottage cheese though.