Anyone Successfully Quit Sugar?

Options
Hello,

I would like to quit sugar as part of a hormonal balancing diet ...

Has anyone quit sugar successfully and if so please share your story.

THanks!

Replies

• s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    By quitting sugar...do you mean fruit sugars and milk sugars and even the sugars in vegetables? or just refined sugars? or also honey, coconut sugars, etc?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How do you "quit" sugar?? LOL, you know veggies, fruits, etc.

Unless you have medical reason there is no reason to quit it.

Sugar is not the devil, just because it's another fad diet. JS
  • BlueSkiesGirl
    BlueSkiesGirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I mean refined sugar..
  • s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I believe I have gone over the hurdle. I am 60 days into this journey. I started because I felt there was a relationship between refined sugars and my pain level. I have had multiple accidents and suffer from chronic pain and fatigue. My doctor has tested me for tons of stuff: lupus, RA, thyroid, etc, etc. I got fed up and took control of my health in the one way I could...what I put into my mouth. Eliminating refined sugars and grains has cut my pain WAAAAAAY down and I have SO MUCH MORE ENERGY. I cannot even begin to tell you! That said, I am not fanatical about it. I just really think about what I eat and how it will make me feel. I really think that is why I was able to eliminate it, it wasn't about calories and weight loss, it was about being sick and tired of being sick and tired
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have read that limiting refined sugars like white sugar, and those found in baked goods, ice cream, candy, most store bought juices, etc. to approx. 50 g or less per day is a good health strategy. I don't eat too many of those foods for it to ever become an issue. But like others have said, you really can't quit whole food sugars, nor would it be wise to.
  • beliwoohoo
    beliwoohoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm getting there. I've been drinking magnesium powder before bed time and after about 3 weeks of doing that the cravings started to drop away. I could eat two large family blocks of chocolate in a day. Now I'm rarely craving it.

I've been increasing my whole foods too ie reducing packaged foods that may contain added sugar.
  • beliwoohoo
    beliwoohoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ps I would bet Blue Skies Girl is Australian (as am I). There is a diet movement to quit sugar here which refers to processed foods. Google "I quit sugar". : )
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I quit added sugar for a month when I first started and again in January. I found it helpful in dealing with emotional eating issues and workplace triggers. I have no dramatic stories, though -- I found it pretty easy and more about not snacking (as I mostly eat whole foods anyway, so it was about not eating sweets).
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    No. Why would any one want to quit sugar? It's sweet. :)

But seriously, I don't succeed at any kind of diet or weight loss if I restrict myself, so the only thing that has helped me lose the weight I have so far is by changing how much I eat, not what I eat. If I ever have a poor checkup at my doctor's visit and it is suggested that I make certain dietary changes, I would take what he had to say into consideration but as long as I'm healthy, my numbers are all good and my weight continues to come off, there's nothing off limits to me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My maternal grandmother did it. Her story: she died.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    beliwoohoo wrote: »
    Ps I would bet Blue Skies Girl is Australian (as am I). There is a diet movement to quit sugar here which refers to processed foods. Google "I quit sugar". : )

Why would sugar=processed food? I mean, I am aware that plenty of processed foods contain sugar, but not all do, and lots of people add sugar to stuff made at home (like coffee or oatmeal or a rhubarb sauce or, my personal favorite, pie).

Beyond this, why does everything have to be all or nothing? I gave my anecdote about quitting added sugar for a bit, so I would never say it can't be helpful for people, but I don't understand why a government would try to promote something that a population at large is going to be quite unlikely to do (NO sugar at all) vs. trying to encourage the kinds of more moderate, sensible cultural things that many of us grew up with and that were common until recently. Specifically, having something sweet occasionally, as a small dessert or after-school snack, and only if you ate a nutritious meal with vegetables. The problem isn't that humans like and want to eat the occasional sweetened thing--it's the complete lack of restraint where people eat them at all times and huge quantities and don't do enough exercise to account for the calories, etc.

At least, that's what I see in the US.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kevin Smith* did it. He also walked his dogs more. It worked extremely well for him. To each his own.

*Of course, he was consuming a ridiculous amount of extra cals via soda
  • EMDelgado
    EMDelgado Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did for 5 months. Refined only. But when I tried it again it was like a relapse; I couldn't get off it. I needed a piece of candy everyday. Now I've controlled it but if you leave it, trust you will relapse hard. Just eat it in moderation no need to quit!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    My maternal grandmother did it. Her story: she died.

I'm sorry.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to quit sugar as part of a hormonal balancing diet ...

Has anyone quit sugar successfully and if so please share your story.

THanks!

@BlueSkiesGirl I quit sugar successfully for pain management. When in 30 days the pain dropped from a subjective 7-8 level to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale I made this way of eating (5% carbs, 15% protein and the rest fats) my eating lifestyle. A year later the pain is still manage, I daily eat until I am stuffed, IBS was cured within six months, lab results continue improve and my weight continues to drop if I do not eat over 2600 calories a day permitting me to now be under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years.

Learning that eating carbs are not a requirement for quality health by humans help permit me to break my emotional need for carbs.

In the real world very few will ever walk away from most sugar be it sodas, apples or ice cream because there may be no medical reason for them to do so. No one else in the house has given up sugar and it is everywhere I look. However they fully can see how removing sugar from my life has made mine and their lives better since I no longer have sugar crashes and get meaner than a Junk Yard dog. :)

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, I quit sugar a years ago and do not miss it. I started the South Beach Diet and, after a couple of weeks, I realized that I didn't crave it and I felt better than I ever had. I don't restrict it for dieting purposes as I only had less than 10 lbs to lose when I started, I just feel great! For me, there's just no reason to go back.
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have given up refined sugars for over three months now and feel great. I have found that I don't crave sweets anymore - other than fruits! LOL We try and not eat white breads or pastas and have actually switched to gluten free products to avoid the wheat products because of stomach issues and have found them to be just as good and no issues! I found that at work, it is now so easy to say no to sweets!!
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been sugar free 2months by going ketogenic. Its not for everyone but works for me. Never felt so positive and full of energy
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've given up candy since the start of my diet and I do not intend to start again.
    Unfortunately I lack the discipline to eat a small amount, so I prefer none at all.