Stop sabotaging your body! Easier said then done.

Options
13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It's true I should have specified I still eat sugars when they come in their natural forms e.g. Strawberries yum!
    @winogelato

"Because then we inevitably get the discussion of biochemical pathways and how your body can't tell the difference b/w sugar from an apple a strawberry and sugar from a snickers. Then someone brings up the straw man debate of, 'of course you can eat a diet of all snickers and lose weight, but you won't be healthy', and someone says, 'who said anything about eating 1500 cals of snickers'.

Sigh. Another day on MFP achieving nothing except triple digit weight loss, good blood pressure, and good blood work by counting the wrong calories..."

You're doing it wrong.

• TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar intake my chart says, I can't get away from sugar...I eat alot of fruit in my diet but NOT bad sugars like candy etc. Any good words for me?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    TacoTina wrote: »
    I am always over on my sugar intake my chart says, I can't get away from sugar...I eat alot of fruit in my diet but NOT bad sugars like candy etc. Any good words for me?
    Stop thinking of sugar as good from one source and bad from another. It's sugar.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I wish when people making these quitting sugar threads, they would up front state what exactly they mean by quitting sugar. I'm one of those silly people who think "quitting sugar" means "quitting sugar", not "quitting sugar from foods I deem junk/bad/not worth the calories". It's almost as bad as people saying they are quitting carbs when what they really mean is quitting White Foods.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I wish when people making these quitting sugar threads, they would up front state what exactly they mean by quitting sugar. I'm one of those silly people who think "quitting sugar" means "quitting sugar", not "quitting sugar from foods I deem junk/bad/not worth the calories". It's almost as bad as people saying they are quitting carbs when what they really mean is quitting White Foods.

People are saying they are doing low carb and mean no milk and yoghurt? I have been for a while on MFP, but have not seen this one yet!
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options

[quote="People are saying they are doing low carb and mean no milk and yoghurt? I have been for a while on MFP, but have not seen this one yet![/quote]

I am doing a lower carb diet...and I did cut out cow's milk and switched to unsweetened almond milk - but I still eat plenty of plain Greek yogurt. I just measure stuff, makes it easier to count things accurately.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Isn't coffee a processed food?

Good point.

That it is I inserted it in brackets to infer that I understand it's still processed, it's the only thing I couldn't give up.

I'm not a 100% purist but for the sake of coffee I'm ok with that!

There are many processed foods that I think are good for me and that I wouldn't give up, personally. Coffee is one (well, sort of). Others include greek yogurt and smoked salmon. I also think foods like cheese and dried pasta (I can make pasta, but don't see why the purchased kind would be worse) or canned tomatoes (certainly out of season, although right now I have tons of fresh) and the like can make cooking healthy meals easier and are not harmful, so I wouldn't go out of my way to cut them out. (I actually did once upon a time, which is why I've thought this through.)

And if we start getting into what's natural, it's not natural for me to be able to eat a banana in Chicago (they have to be carted in from far away) or broccoli in January, for that matter. Or, perhaps, as humans it's natural for us to try and do all this (and so cheese would be natural too, yay).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

The abuse of the term carbs on this forum is the worst.

So often it seems people use "carbs" to mean foods that are a mix of fat and carbs, like cookies, and not other foods that are basically all carb, like fruits and vegetables.

(For the record, I mostly don't mean low carbers, who at least seem to have bothered learning what carbs actually are, although even they sometimes use "carbs" for stuff like cookies and french fries which may have as many calories from fat.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it has worked for you OP in the 8 weeks that you have done it. I'm not quite sure what you have cut, but it is obviously working well for you so far.

However my long term health is not being hurt by my moderate intake of foods with refined sugars and I enjoy them and my weight has been maintained for well over a year so I will continue doing what works for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with the calories in my icecream? I get my calcium, some protein, vit A, vit b2, vit b12.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's true I should have specified I still eat sugars when they come in their natural forms e.g. Strawberries yum!
    @winogelato

"Because then we inevitably get the discussion of biochemical pathways and how your body can't tell the difference b/w sugar from an apple a strawberry and sugar from a snickers. Then someone brings up the straw man debate of, 'of course you can eat a diet of all snickers and lose weight, but you won't be healthy', and someone says, 'who said anything about eating 1500 cals of snickers'.

Sigh. Another day on MFP achieving nothing except triple digit weight loss, good blood pressure, and good blood work by counting the wrong calories..."

You're doing it wrong.

@DeguelloTex I am so happy that I am at work and was able to find this...

vT7z_Y.gif
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    T
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I guess if one wants to go without sugar, that's fine with me - we all make our own choices for one reason or another. What I did not get is this:
    I decided to redownload this app, not to count calories cause that achieves nothing but just so this time round I can keep accountability while trying to now factor in exercise.

Unless I am misunderstanding or misreading, but counting calories ..... does achieve...

cause that achieves nothing for my body specifically*

Should have specified, my apologies :)

Ooooh you're a special snowflake that digests foods differently than the rest of us. Good to know!