Cardio

Options
I am 5'3 my starting weight was 184 now I'm 182 ( I started my cardio and 1200 calorje diet before I discovered this app) my goal weight is 130. My question is if I eat 1200 cals a day and do at least 30 mins of cardio a day will I see consistent results at a fairly rapid rate. Meaning will the weight come off within 6 to 8 months

Replies

• caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Tyra! 1200 calories is TOO LOW!!! That's starvation cals for any female and not worth it.. I'm on about 1600 and about to increase to 1700 because I'm losing too fast and want to eat more food and have slower weight loss as it's more maintainable :) I'm 5'4" so similar height.. Incorporate weight/resistance exercise too - there are lots of videos on youtube if you don't have a gym membership. This sort of training will increase your muscle mass which increases your basal metabolic rate - the rate you burn calories doing nothing.. in short it means you can eat more food :) Always think about your goals in the long term - anything you achieve needs to be maintained for the rest of your life.. and you can't eat 1200 cals forever.. :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and exercise 30 min a day. I've been doing 1200 calories a day and have lost 6 1/2 pounds. I was on 1100 calories but upped it because I was feeling hungry and tired. Weigh your food and log the calories. You'll get a better feel for your weight loss rate as you go.
  • tyracorbyn
    tyracorbyn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and exercise 30 min a day. I've been doing 1200 calories a day and have lost 6 1/2 pounds. I was on 1100 calories but upped it because I was feeling hungry and tired. Weigh your food and log the calories. You'll get a better feel for your weight loss rate as you go.
    How long did it take you to lose that and also how heavy are you if you don't mind me asking
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was 213 starting out cw 180..5'4 ..i started in 1200 cal..added in cardio and realized 1200 was too low for me .so i upped it to 1400 added in strength training and realized that wasnt enough ..i am now eating between 1500- 1800 cal netting between 1200-1500..basically my whole point is 1200 cal is not hard if sedentary but adding in exercise you might need to increase your calories..good luck
  • verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Beginning this journey you always want the fastest results which is natural, and you probably won't believe anyone telling you that you can eat 1800 calories and still lose all the weight. Because once you're on that 1200 calorie diet for a while, 1800 calories seems like a HUGE number to you.
    I've been there a lot, its all about the perspective.
    Think about it - being 5'3 weighing around 180 lbs you must have been consuming around 2300 calories a day in the past - at least. So even if you now consume 2000 calories a day, you will lose weight.
    Eating 2000 calories AND consistant exercising aka losing around 400 a day? You will already lose TONS.
    Eating 1800 calories a day and maybe exercising 3 times a week? You will lose hella lot already.

You do you, if you want to try the 1200 noone can stop you from it. But if you find out its not working/making you not feel good etc - try to think of this and don't be discouraged if you have to upper your calories!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    caci88 wrote: »
    Hi Tyra! 1200 calories is TOO LOW!!! That's starvation cals for any female and not worth it.. I'm on about 1600 and about to increase to 1700 because I'm losing too fast and want to eat more food and have slower weight loss as it's more maintainable :) I'm 5'4" so similar height.. Incorporate weight/resistance exercise too - there are lots of videos on youtube if you don't have a gym membership. This sort of training will increase your muscle mass which increases your basal metabolic rate - the rate you burn calories doing nothing.. in short it means you can eat more food :) Always think about your goals in the long term - anything you achieve needs to be maintained for the rest of your life.. and you can't eat 1200 cals forever.. :)

wrong wrong wrong

While 1200 calories may be too low for some females, it's not "starvation calories". Starvation mode is a myth.

It's pretty hard for a female to gain muscle in a caloric deficit... that's just how it is. It is true that muscle is more metabolically active than fat, but the amount of muscle mass growth needed to burn a significant amount of calories is pretty darn big - too big for someone to build in a deficit... because it's super hard.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    tyracorbyn wrote: »
    I am 5'3 my starting weight was 184 now I'm 182 ( I started my cardio and 1200 calorje diet before I discovered this app) my goal weight is 130. My question is if I eat 1200 cals a day and do at least 30 mins of cardio a day will I see consistent results at a fairly rapid rate. Meaning will the weight come off within 6 to 8 months

I think your goal of 8 months is realistic assuming you are losing 1% a week. You can set your goal in app to lose 1 pound a week and as you exercise, eat back only the calories that you think you need to eat back (understanding that some of your exercise estimates may not be accurate). Good luck on your journey.