September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Definitely loving the less humid weather up north. 8 more miles today with a friend through some great wooded trails.

I was debating doing a half-marathon tomorrow morning, but I didn't properly taper or adjust training for it (as I essentially completed a 1/2 ironman of running/biking/swimming over the past 2 days), my weight is about 5 pounds above where I'd like it to be, and it is supposed to be pretty rainy. As a result, I think I'm going to pass on it for now and just do some speedwork at the track instead. Next official half marathon is coming up in 9 weeks anyhow (Vegas) and I think a 1:37 is pretty doable if I can drop about a pound/week between now and then.

9/1 - 5 easy miles
    9/2 - 6 miles total (1.5 run + 4.5 run)
    9/3 - 11 miles total (1.5 run + 4 run + 5.5 run)
    9/6 - 6 miles
    9/7 - 5.5 miles
    9/9 - 5 miles
    9/10 - 8 miles
    9/11 - 8 miles

Total: 54.5 miles
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 95.5 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Thanks! When I first started running with a group I was scared someone would talk to me, so I would have to gasp out a reply. But now, talking is a lot easier, and it really helps pass the time :)

@7lenny7 Thanks, it has been a pretty good week!

No running yesterday - Zumba instead
    no running today - rest day.

I was planning on running my first 10km race on Sunday, but it's over an hours drive away and after spending 1.5 hours commuting every week day I don't know if I can face my car again :/

What about you guys, do you often travel long distances to race?
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    September goal 100km
    9/1—Rest
    9/2–-5.3 km
    9/3–-6.24 km
    9/4—exploring
    9/5—rest, exhausted from exploring couldn’t get my butt up
    9/6—12.5 km, walked three times, but that’s okay
    9/7—rest
    9/8–5.06 km
    9/9–5.44 km
    9/10–5.15 km
    9/11—rest
    9/12–6.13 km

Running has been painful this week. Not physically painful but my body just hasn't been feeling good. Something's off and I can't figure out why or what.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Nettiejb wrote: »
    After aiming for 90 miles in August and hitting 104...I am aiming for 110 in September. .I have done 40 miles so far this month, and my next run will be on Sunday when I complete my first half marathon! I'm so excited and nervous all at the same time ☺

Happy running fellow runners. .may the road stretch out ahead of you and the sun shine down to light your way on your super epic journey of discovery of the world around you and the spirit within you

@nettiejb awesome, you'll do great! Best advice I got for my first HM (well my only HM LOL) don't go out too fast and enjoy it!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim
    See you in Vegas (or, at least I'll see your back as you run FAR ahead of me!)
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @karllundy Running two days in a row (and now three in a row) is great. I just feel like running! We'll see how my body deals with this onslaught :) I might rest tomorrow--as in doing some elliptical.

9/1 rest day -- elliptical
    9/2 4.2 miles -- wasn't that easy for some reason, but done!
    9/3 rest day -- elliptical
    9/4 3.17 miles -- that was probably the most difficult run since I've started seven weeks ago. The humidity was so defeating and soul crushing!
    9/5 rest day--too hot/humid, elliptical
    9/6 rest day--too hot/humid, elliptical
    9/7 3.32--running again!
    9/8 rest day -- no workout
    9/9 3.52
    9/10 2 -- decided to run two days in a row for first time
    9/11 3.18 -- another day of running (three days in a row)

19.39/50

exercise.png
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Final day of the 3rd week of C25k!

9/1 - 2.06 miles (walk)
    9/2 - 2.76 miles (run/walk)
    9/3 - 2.26 miles (walk/run)
    9/4 - 2.82 miles (run/walk)
    9/5 - 5 miles (walking) also kayaked about 4 miles!
    9/6 - 2.16 miles (walk)
    9/7 - approximately 4.42 miles. (Run/walk)
    9/8 - 2 miles (walk)
    9/9 - 2.46 miles (run/walk)
    9/10 - 2.40 miles (walk)
    9/11 - 2.34 miles (run/walk)

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was planning on running my first 10km race on Sunday, but it's over an hours drive away and after spending 1.5 hours commuting every week day I don't know if I can face my car again :/
    See how you feel on Saturday - I would say Go For It - make the 1 hour drive, arrive early so you can get in on the goodies and bling bags at the event registration, most importantly have a relaxing/fun race.
    My shortest commute was a 1 minute Bike ride to the Local pool for the Sprint Triathlon.
    My Longest commute 9 hours one way.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I have one of the Garmin running watches that gives an indication of recovery time and during a run how your recovery looks to it. Yesterday it said 54 hours recovery time - I guess I was running a little harder than I realized but it still felt poky to me. Today the watch said my recovery was "fair" - I've only seen something other than "good" twice in hundreds of runs.

The watch was right. Go figure.

I was thankful for a fairly easy run today and a date run with my sweetie made it even nicer. Medicinal red wine and an early night are in order.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		060.23 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (18% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Sep 11 07.63 km Recovery run / Date run in the forest
    Sep 10 10.99 km Dead flat run around seawall
    Sep 09 -----    Rest day
    Sep 08 04.68 km Pushing it on the track 3x1km. I hate the track.
    Sep 07 07.82 km Exploring a different trail to the dog beach
    Sep 06 21.21 km Running gentle hills around the lake, felt great save for blisters
    Sep 05 -----    Life break, coaching soccer 
    Sep 04 07.90 km UBC forest - Date Run Friday!
    Sep 03 -----    More of same
    Sep 02 -----    More of same
    Sep 01 -----    Life break, running an evacuation centre

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mwyvr my garmin does the same.. Even rates my "Training Effect" 1-5, on how hard you push. Mines the 620.

1-rest
    2-5.03
    3-5.04
    4-rest/ travel
    5-1.88 walk
    6-5.26
    7-3.43
    8-9-rest
    10-2.53AM

33.5/80+

My preliminary diagnosis from MRI report is bilateral gluteal medius tendon tears, bilateral trochanteric bursitis, bilateral hamstring tendinosis. All on top the piriformis syndrome.. Boo... I'll find out what the doc wants to do come November.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I don't know what all that means but sounds like a less than ideal MRI scan. Boo! Hope you aren't hurting too much.

I've got a 620 too. Lately it thinks I suck and I'm inclined to believe it. (kidding)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September goal 65 miles

9/1 3.51
    9/2 3.35
    9/3 rest
    9/4 3.16
    9/5 life day
    9/6 6.19
    9/7 a "I'm too darned lazy to move a muscle" day
    9/8 snokeling 3 hours
    9/9 3.15
    9/10 3.34
    9/11 3.35

Total 26.05

@Elise4270 : so sorry to hear about all that damage.....good wishes for a full recovery!

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    9.1.15... 3.04...26:30- late 10 PM run
    9.2.15... 5.27.... 48 minutes: Woke up a little late- wanted to hit the road around 5:15- left at like 5:35- oh well- was worried about time due to it being the first five miler- I did okay - 48 minutes roughly- super busy yesterday didn't get a chance to update
    9.3.15... 3 miles- 27- super slow- stiff and heavy
    9.6.15- 3.02.... 28:56- I went ahead and shuffled my runs- workshop was to important to stress over a 9 miler and then the workshop. So Sunday- I did an easy 7:30 AM easy 3 miler- way more hilly than expecting- but no worries!
    9.8.15- 8.98 @ 1:34- this was rough- it was hot and humid- even at 6:30 AM- and quiet honestly WAY more hilly on S. Lamar in Austin than I was expecting (but good news for me I got my hill run in!) and I think I was more tired than I cared to admit from 3 days of dancing- and I seriously almost shat my pants in the last one tenth of a mile- hence my 9 miler wasn't exactly 9 miles. It was a chips and salsa left over sprint to unlock the door and straight to the toilet. Another sweaty toilet seat end to my run!!!
    9.11.15... 6.39... 55:16 felt really solid today- very disappointed I ran out of time!

August: 66.23 of 75 miles
    September 29.7 of 104.5

Total Half Training Mileage
    134.78 of total 225

• aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options

juliet3455 wrote: »
    My shortest commute was a 1 minute Bike ride to the Local pool for the Sprint Triathlon.
    My Longest commute 9 hours one way.

9 hours! My drive does't seem that bad now :) I may suprise myself and get up early!

Park run this morning. Was quite blustery and drizzly, but I rather enjoyed it. The course in a flat run along the beach, and the wind was only sindeon, so still managed a good time, considering I hate running in the morning!
    Worst thing: my new leggings I only brought 3 week ago kept falling down because they are too big now.
    Best thing: my new leggings I only brought 3 week ago kept falling down because they are too big now!

exercise.png[\img]
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    9-1: 3.08 km...everything was going fine for the first 2k. First run after a very well-fed and drank vacation (seriously, a rib-eye the size of my forearm for the last dinner). 2.5k, I notice how tight my right leg feels. I loosen up my shoe and that does nothing. I started walking, and tried to pick back up but I was in so much pain I had to call my mom for rescue. Ugh.
    9-4: 4.24 km...Wanted to take it slow today so as not to agitate anything (foam-rolled the sheet outta my leg the other day). Very hot, not a fun run at all. Slow paced, so slow it was on par with my c25k week 7 overall pacing which INCLUDES the 10 minute warmup/cooldown. Boo.
    9-6: 5.45 km. My longest run yet! Pacing was much better than it has been in the last 2 weeks. First race is 2 weeks from today, looking good!
    9-10: 2.12...treadmill running. I don't know how I'm gonna stay motivated if I'm stuck on a treadmill.
    9-11: 3.83 km. Treadmill running. Blech. On the plus side I completed my first week of student teaching!

18.72/65km
  • Elise4270
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I don't know what all that means but sounds like a less than ideal MRI scan. Boo! Hope you aren't hurting too much.

I've got a 620 too. Lately it thinks I suck and I'm inclined to believe it. (kidding)

Lol! I understand! Least I kinda have an out now.. I've definitely hit a plateau.

@HonuNui thanks. I love all the scuba pics you share. If I ever get to where I can never run again I'll take up scuba diving.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I just can't keep up with the forums right now :/ so excuse me for seemingly ignoring everyone elses success and hard work. I do skim through and read in part.
    It's just between work, college, kids and keeping fit... I just don't seem to have the spare time to sit and fully absorb everything that is being said by each person. But I do skim through and see every ones tickers, see how close they are getting to their goals etc.

I have been sticking to my running as best as I can. I can only run 2-3 times a week at present, so I doubt I will see my 15 miles, but on a brighter note :) I have finally managed to achieve my goal of running a non stop mile :)
    I am very pleased about my non stop mile!
    Also, my ankles seem to have toughened up now, the hideous swelling seems to have settled down loads now. I no longer have cankles ( I am just one month into this running malarkey).
    Next run wont be until the 15th, so I know I am way behind my goal, but I'm cool with that because I know I am making loads of progress with my running.

2/9 - 0.70
    6/9 - 0.82
    9/9 - 1
    12/9 -1

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    @runwithtoppa Awesome achievement! Running a mile nonstop is great! Life is busy, we all understand that. So don't fret about keeping up on everything. We all are hit and miss at times.

I worked evenings, college full time, 3 kids, and divorced about 2 years into a 6 year college plan. Those years are a blur. Take care and enjoy the running!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1: Rest
    9/2: 7 miles
    9/3: 8 miles am and 6 miles pm with the Thursday crew
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: Rest
    9/6: Brunch and walking around museums > running 6 miles in a new town
    9/7: 18 miles
    9/8: Rest
    9/9: 10 miles
    9/10: 7 miles speedwork am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    9/11: Rest
    9/12: 5 mile race!

Race this morning went really well. I wanted to do something in the 38 minute range and I squeaked under that with a 37:55 (7:34 pace)! I ended up being 18th overall and 1st in my AG (women 20-24), and I think I was even in top 10 women but that result hasn't been posted yet. Felt strong the whole way, and it's a 4+ min PR from my last 5 mile race last July (42:42 --> 37:55). Great morning and looking forward to my long run tomorrow :)

Edit: Looking at the Garmin site, I also beat my 5k PR that I set this July 4 by 19 seconds! 23:42 --> 23:21. Yes!!

73.4/200

exercise.png
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just completed my 6 mile run, making it 31 so far and 49 to go. Enjoying this group, ya'll be encouraged!