Does It Matter What You Eat?

Options
Hello!

I am just curious. I eat mostly healthy but sometimes I get a sweet craving and indulge in yummy dessert but I am always under my calorie goal. Does it matter if I got a bit over my set Sugars/Carbs/Protein as long as I am under my calorie goal? I have read several things on it and there are mixed feelings. Curious what you all think!

Replies

• katjax2
    katjax2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking my weight since the end of June and tweaking it according to different ideas on carbs, proteins, fats. I work out weights and stretching every other day with a trainer. In between those days I swim lengths for 1-2 hours. My calorie deficit is usually 2-3000 a week but I don't lose very much weight. I'm a large woman about 240lbs. and I stick pretty good to 1400 calories before the exercise. Since the end of June I've lost about 10-11 lbs. I don't get it. I'm getting very frustrated. I am very careful with my food tracking usually choosing over rather than under calorie entries, when unsure. I also wonder if what I'm eating is stopping me even though I count everything I eat. I'm thinking also I'm pre-menopausal so am wondering if hormones could be stopping the weight loss. My clothing is not even getting loose. Any insights?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    katjax2 wrote: »
    I have been tracking my weight since the end of June and tweaking it according to different ideas on carbs, proteins, fats. I work out weights and stretching every other day with a trainer. In between those days I swim lengths for 1-2 hours. My calorie deficit is usually 2-3000 a week but I don't lose very much weight. I'm a large woman about 240lbs. and I stick pretty good to 1400 calories before the exercise. Since the end of June I've lost about 10-11 lbs. I don't get it. I'm getting very frustrated. I am very careful with my food tracking usually choosing over rather than under calorie entries, when unsure. I also wonder if what I'm eating is stopping me even though I count everything I eat. I'm thinking also I'm pre-menopausal so am wondering if hormones could be stopping the weight loss. My clothing is not even getting loose. Any insights?
    From "the end of June" to today is 11 weeks. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit per week to lose one pound per week. If you've lost 10-11 pounds, you are right on track or even a bit ahead considering that you estimate that you have a 2-3000 calorie deficit per week. What you are doing is working the way it is supposed to work.

Keep it up and you'll get there!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    No, but it matters what I eat.

If all you're after is weight loss, then calorie restriction by any means will get you there. You may lose more muscle mass as part of that weight by eating mostly low nutrition junk, but it's all the same to the scale.

If you're concerned with your long term health and lifespan, then getting all your nutrients and eating less junk and processed food is a gamble that just could pay off big in the long run. You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow, so, there are no guarantees, but I'd rather take the chances on eating clean than finding out ten years from now that some of the many chemicals we ingest in our highly processed food turns out to not be as safe as the food industry currently claims it is.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No offense to you the OP but it makes me sad people still need to ask these kinds of question. Of course it doesn't matter, CICO is the only thing you need to worry about for weight loss. To feel generally well, you should aim to eat nutritious foods but you are already doing that so no need to worry.

mike_ny for the record, there are chemicals IN ALL FOODS, literally everything.. getting nutrition is important but worrying about 'chemicals' in food is just silly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sure, it matters what you eat, for health and energy and satiety and all of that. But does it matter whether you eat a mostly healthy diet with some lower nutrient treats vs. cutting out the treats? No, generally not.

Macros can be healthy in a really wide range -- there's no magic to the MFP defaults. MFP sugar goals are kind of a rough estimate to help you meet the goal of a balanced diet -- if you have higher sugar due to lots of fruit or dairy or veg, generally not an issue
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am just curious. I eat mostly healthy but sometimes I get a sweet craving and indulge in yummy dessert but I am always under my calorie goal. Does it matter if I got a bit over my set Sugars/Carbs/Protein as long as I am under my calorie goal? I have read several things on it and there are mixed feelings. Curious what you all think!
    This is all that you need to pay attention to:
    1 total calories for the day
    2 total protein
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mike_ny wrote: »
    No, but it matters what I eat.

If all you're after is weight loss, then calorie restriction by any means will get you there. You may lose more muscle mass as part of that weight by eating mostly low nutrition junk, but it's all the same to the scale.

If you're concerned with your long term health and lifespan, then getting all your nutrients and eating less junk and processed food is a gamble that just could pay off big in the long run. You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow, so, there are no guarantees, but I'd rather take the chances on eating clean than finding out ten years from now that some of the many chemicals we ingest in our highly processed food turns out to not be as safe as the food industry currently claims it is.

This ^^
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'd say also keep an eye on sodium, as it helps you retain more water. That's why staying under calories while still eating fast food may make those pounds come off a little slower. Or you 'whoosh'.
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No offense to you the OP but it makes me sad people still need to ask these kinds of question. Of course it doesn't matter, CICO is the only thing you need to worry about for weight loss. To feel generally well, you should aim to eat nutritious foods but you are already doing that so no need to worry.

mike_ny for the record, there are chemicals IN ALL FOODS, literally everything.. getting nutrition is important but worrying about 'chemicals' in food is just silly.

I think mike_ny was talking about artificial chemicals such as coloring, flavorings, preservatives etc. Much better eating whole fresh foods such as fruit, veg, meat, grains, dairy that haven't been pumped full of artifical ingredients. Much better for long term health, keep you full longer and in the end will help with weightloss. So yes it is very important what you eat, as well as Cico.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hello!

It does not matter for weight loss purposes. If your in a deficit you will ultimately loose weight. For health/energy levels etc the micro and macronutrients become a little more important and can be played around with to suit lifestyle requirements etc. Enjoy your Yummy desserts lol.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Calories are king for weight loss. You can eat absolutely anything and still lose weight, if you keep the calories low enough.

Healthy food will help you stay full because you can eat so much more of it, so it helps with weight loss in that way. It is good for you, too! But it isn't necessary. You don't need to eat a single healthy food item to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You don't need to eat a single healthy food item to lose weight.

But of course that wasn't OP's question. She said she's eating a mostly healthy diet but wants to know if it's an issue to go a bit over sugar/carbs/protein. I don't know why people always default to this notion that people are wanting to eat unhealthy diets.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

^^not to mention the precipitation that falls on the same crops, whether or not chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides are used, or the air we breathe and the water we drink. Who is to say what is better or worse for each of us.

The fact is, being at a healthy weight is beneficial to all of us. How each of us achieves this is up to each of us and our physician. Go ahead and have your treat. In order for this to be sustainable, you have to do what works for yourself for the long term.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »

I think mike_ny was talking about artificial chemicals such as coloring, flavorings, preservatives etc. Much better eating whole fresh foods such as fruit, veg, meat, grains, dairy that haven't been pumped full of artifical ingredients. Much better for long term health, keep you full longer and in the end will help with weightloss. So yes it is very important what you eat, as well as Cico.

Please tell me how your body distinguishes between a chemical made artificially and a naturally occurring chemical?
  • mandymaurine
    mandymaurine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I eat a lot of fruit and healthier dessert alternatives (organic almond milk chocolate pudding as an example) and with all the fruit I consume I am almost always over my allotted sugar amount for the day. Other than that I eat healthy. No junk.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I eat a lot of fruit and healthier dessert alternatives (organic almond milk chocolate pudding as an example) and with all the fruit I consume I am almost always over my allotted sugar amount for the day. Other than that I eat healthy. No junk.
    "Junk" is what keeps me losing weight. Without the ability to eat what I want in smaller portions, I would likely give up on trying to lose weight and go back to eating what I want.

If you feel satisfied and can stick to what you are doing, that's great. I'm glad that you've found what works for you. That's the important thing.

No diet works if you won't stick to it. Any diet works if you will stick to it.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    eba2003 wrote: »

Please tell me how your body distinguishes between a chemical made artificially and a naturally occurring chemical?

It's interesting you brought this up, because there are many additives that don't exist in nature (or at least not in large numbers) and the body doesn't know how to handle them. Trans-fats are a good example. So are the left handed fats like Olestra, and we all know how well that worked out.

Most additives are not foods. Some like sugars and starches are, but many other are not nutrients in any sense of the word. They are there to extend the shelf life and the stability of the product for transportation and storage. Chemicals that aren't classified as drugs and haven't already been identified as harmful can be added with no oversight whatsoever. Many of them do not even have to listed in the ingredients if the quantities are below the minimum threshold. There are thousands of additives in food and many other products that have never been tested for effects on health. I think the odds are pretty good that given the number of additives we already have and more being developed, that at least a few of them will be found to have some bad effects and some will be withdrawn from being used.

I just prefer to have food that was make in a kitchen instead of a laboratory.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You don't need to eat a single healthy food item to lose weight.

But of course that wasn't OP's question. She said she's eating a mostly healthy diet but wants to know if it's an issue to go a bit over sugar/carbs/protein. I don't know why people always default to this notion that people are wanting to eat unhealthy diets.
    They don't. That's something you invent in your head,

We've had this conversation before. If you'd just stick with what is actually written instead of things you (or others) have invented, you'd be less confused about these non-existent notions.

Just stick with what is actually said and it all gets much easier.