Cardio.....How often ?

Options
tnkhart
tnkhart Posts: 72 Member
Hello MFP friends !! My question is....How often should I use my eliptical ? My goal is to loose 20-24 lbs. This past week I was on my eliptical 4 out of 7 days. I actually feel guilty when I take a day off. I'm usually going for about 30 minutes. Is there a rule of thumb on this? Just curious what everyones take is. Have a great weekend !!

Replies

• katieann1735
    Options
    I try to work out 6 out of 7 days a week if possible for about 30-45 minutes. If you don't won't to do the elliptical all the time, try switching it up with something else. I'm a huge fan of circuit training -- it burns great calories as well!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Use it daily if you want. It's strength training that you're supposed to take rest days for. Of course, if you find yourself excessively sore the next day, take a break. Otherwise, keep going if you're up for it!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I shoot for 6 days a week, and add some strength training about 3 days a week.
  • deepakris
    deepakris Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there! What I am trying to start doing is three days of cardio, three days of strength training & one rest day per week. Four days of elliptical sounds great. You should check how many calories you burn doing it for thirty minutes here on this website, & then you can decide whether or not it's enough.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I do 5 days of cardio, 2 of strength training. I say if your body feels up to it, do it!
  • heyree424
    heyree424 Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. Four days a week is great! Usually when I start a new cardio program, I do 3x a week the first two weeks, 4x the next two, etc. until I get to 6 days (you always need one day off!). I also can't jump right to 30-60 minutes, especially on an elliptical. I read somewhere that you should start with 10 minutes the first day, then at 10% more time each day until you get to the level you want.
  • InspiredByStreisand42
    InspiredByStreisand42 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This. I do the exact same! :)
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 days a week and when i strength train I always strength train first
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I personally would add strength training into the mix before more cardio, but that's just me.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    4-5 days a week minimum is 60 minute (usually do more). I do strength training 3 days a week as well. Plus, I try to stay active on rest days, like organize my house, clean, wash vehicles, yard work, go biking with family, walk the dog...etc
  • XDoodlebugger
    XDoodlebugger Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I personally would add strength training into the mix before more cardio, but that's just me.
  • tnkhart
    tnkhart Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. This past week I did cardio 4 days and burned 1502 calories. Next week I should get Power90 in the mail and then I'll change things up. Thank you all for some great info and support....as always !!!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have always been a cardio girl, so in the past I would do cardio 6-7 days a week for at least 30-45 minutes. BUT...I think I was over-doing it and not giving my body enough variety. When I am able to start back with a good program, I am planning on cardio 3-4 times a week, strength training at least 2 days a week, and yoga at least once with a scheduled rest day. I think balance is key to overall fitness. :)

Good luck!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

This. I do the exact same! :)

Me too! I am currently doing 30 min of cardio and then I alternate days doing upper body one day and lower body the next. I do want to work up to 45 min for whatever cardio I am doing.
  • movert
    movert Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is a golden answer especially if you are doing other activities like P90X, weight training or aerobic classes. As long as you are getting your heart rate up about 4 to 5 days a week and watching meals, you should be fine. I do strength training about 4 days a week and one day solely for cardio and abs, but my strength days are a lot of supersets and back to back movements and sets to keep my heart rate up.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean about feeling guilty! I get that too on my days off.
    I've tried to add more strength training but I love the sweat of cardio. If you've been doing the same thing for a while, switch it up (and shock your body with something new) - I'm doing the couch to 5 K (C25K) program because I have never been a runner and it seems like a great challenge for me!