• pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Jalapeno hummus FTW!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I've started replacing my Hellman's mayo with Inglehoffer Cream Style Horseradish Sauce. Sweet, but good, with a zip. It has 30 calories in a tablespoon versus 90 for Hellman's, and 2 fats instead of 10.

Yeah that stuff is delicious too.

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Loveeeee hummus, BBQ sauce, I like gulden's mustard, mash avocado.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse Farms salad dressings. 45 calories for 30g is more than enough for a sandwich, usually too much. The creamy caesar is great on a sandwich or wrap with chicken, spinach and red pepper strips. I use the cilantro avocado with chipotle spiced chicken breast lunch meat and the classic ranch with ham.

Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese or avocado
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I find a warm sandwich always has a moister (is that a word?) mouth-feel (uhhh...is that a word?) I pan sear at home or pop it in the microwave at work.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vineager and oregano
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    dijonaise. YUm!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus with chick peas, avocado, garlic, avocado oil, and red pepper. I use it on sandwiches, as a dip, on burgers....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    All those recomending avocado - doesnt avocado have a high calorie content?

Yes I get there is nothing wrong with that if you like avocado and fit it in t o your calorie allowance - but as a swap for mayo to reduce the calories in the sandwich, it wouldn't really work?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My typical choice is margarine or soft butter, depending on what I've got. Other choices are peanut butter, pesto sauce, Greek yogurt, and oil.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    avocado is very healthy for you where mayo isn't. If I don't keep my healthy fats at a certain daily level, then I really see it in my hair and skin.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    reduced fat mayo is around half the calories for an equal amount of regular mayo.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    avocado is very healthy for you where mayo isn't. If I don't keep my healthy fats at a certain daily level, then I really see it in my hair and skin.
    why isnt mayo healthy?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a little olive oil mayo and Dijon mustard; still gives the creaminess but cuts down on the cals.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Typically I use OPA ranch dressing- it's yogurt based I think. Or I will use a mayo/mustard/onion mix. It is soooooo good with ham. And because of the mustard and onion I can use less mayo.
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put a half serving of bolthouse farms Greek yogurt ranch dressing. A full serving is 45 calories. It's the only ranch I've found that doesn't have that diet taste
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Take the bread slices. Weigh them.
    Take a butter knife, spread a thin layer of mayo, return the rest of the mayo to the jar.
    Weigh the slices again. Is it even a gram of mayo?

Personally I load my sandwiches with hot spicy mustard (http://www.loewensenf.de/sortiment/senf-klassiker/p/loewensenf-premium-extra-scharf.html)
    tons of tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted zucchini mushrooms, leafy greens. Toppings are only limited by your sense of creativity and sense of adventure.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Renzi27 wrote: »
    I tend to eat a sandwich of some type for lunch - usually either ham or turkey. In order to keep the calories down I've been wanting to cut out the mayo, but cannot stand a dry sammie! Mustard is OK sometimes but really not something I WANT to eat.

What do you put on your sandwiches so they're not dry - if anything? Looking for tasty alternatives..

PS - can't do the low fat/no fat mayo either - that stuff is just awful! Thanks.

I am a huge mustard fan. I have all kinds of different ones in my fridge but my "go to" is a sweet hot mustard. I never use "cheap yellow mustard". I prefer dijon, coarse brown, Dusseldorf style, and when I want a real kick I use a horseradish mustard. If I am eating roast beef, I use a horseradish sauce.

Maybe try a few different ones and see if something trips your trigger.

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Second the horseradish sauce, it is awesome on roast beef. Salsa or piccalilli for turkey, laughing cow French onion or apple butter for ham.