stomach starts to hurt while following calorie goal

Options
Is it withdrawal or nutrient deficiency or both? And what do I do to endure ot prevent it from happening?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Withdrawal from what? It sounds like hunger, to me.
  • jemRun
    jemRun Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Withdrawal from not getting used to the new habit. Anyway, you sound like a bully telling me that. That's just rude
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jemRun wrote: »

Withdrawal from not getting used to the new habit. Anyway, you sound like a bully telling me that. That's just rude

What...? How is saying that your you stomach hurting sounds like hunger bullying?

If you find that you're hungry try eating more protein and fat, as they tend to keep you fuller for longer. And of course lots of low calorie foods like vegetables that allow you to eat more quantity than the same amount of calories of other foods.

Some people say it takes them some time to adjust, then they find it easier. I personally didn't find it difficult to eat less at all, but everyone's different. Also make sure you're eating enough - remember, your daily calories is a goal, not a limit!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Stating facts is not bullying. Hunger pangs are what you feel when you're hungry.

Rule(s) of thumb:
    * If you think you're hungry, drink some water. Many times, thirst is confused for hunger.
    * If you think you're hungry, pick the food you dislike the most. Would you eat it? If so, try. If you're hungry, you'll down it. If you're not, you're bored.

You don't get "withdrawal" from diet changes.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

It's rude to tell you that stomach discomfort during a decrease in caloric intake sounds like hunger?

You have very broad definitions of "bully" and "rude."

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Yikes. That was neither bullying nor rude.

Your stomach probably hurts because you are hungry, dehydrated, or eating something that doesn't agree with you. How many calories are you eating?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you're eating the number of calories MFP recommends for the amount of weight you want to lose ... I presume you've entered all your info into MFP?? ... then:

1) Experiment with different foods to see which keep you full longer.

2) I get some gastric reflux and I find that ginger tea helps with that. One cup in the afternoon or evening, and the burning in my stomach settles. If you think it might be gastric reflux, try different kinds of tea to see what flavour you like and what sits well with you.

3) Drink water.

4) If it is just hunger ... and if you are eating all your calories ... sometimes it is OK just to feel a bit empty.
  • jemRun
    edited September 2015
    Options

What...? How is saying that your you stomach hurting sounds like hunger bullying?

If you find that you're hungry try eating more protein and fat, as they tend to keep you fuller for longer. And of course lots of low calorie foods like vegetables that allow you to eat more quantity than the same amount of calories of other foods.

Some people say it takes them some time to adjust, then they find it easier. I personally didn't find it difficult to eat less at all, but everyone's different. Also make sure you're eating enough - remember, your daily calories is a goal, not a limit!
    Sorry. i'm just too sensitive these days. I feel so insecure about myself that I feel like i'm ugly.

Thanks for the good advice though. I'll keep that in mind.

Stating facts is not bullying. Hunger pangs are what you feel when you're hungry.

Rule(s) of thumb:
    * If you think you're hungry, drink some water. Many times, thirst is confused for hunger.
    * If you think you're hungry, pick the food you dislike the most. Would you eat it? If so, try. If you're hungry, you'll down it. If you're not, you're bored.

You don't get "withdrawal" from diet changes.

Thanks for the advice too and sorry about my previous reply on this thread. I guess I took it the wrong way. I'm quite vulnerable these days. This is why I used this app to help me cope with my insecurities. I'll also keep that in mind.

Thank you for replying to my thread
  • jemRun
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Your stomach probably hurts because you are hungry, dehydrated, or eating something that doesn't agree with you. How many calories are you eating?
    My calorie goal is 1300. I usually just intake a little less from it like about 1200+
  • anneuhbanana
    anneuhbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @jemRun it's not very healthy to think so down on yourself like that. You need to spend some time loving yourself. On the other note... What kind of pains are we talking about? Just hunger pains?
  • jemRun
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you're eating the number of calories MFP recommends for the amount of weight you want to lose ... I presume you've entered all your info into MFP?? ... then:

1) Experiment with different foods to see which keep you full longer.

2) I get some gastric reflux and I find that ginger tea helps with that. One cup in the afternoon or evening, and the burning in my stomach settles. If you think it might be gastric reflux, try different kinds of tea to see what flavour you like and what sits well with you.

3) Drink water.

4) If it is just hunger ... and if you are eating all your calories ... sometimes it is OK just to feel a bit empty.

Yes I am following it and I think I have completed all the necessary info.
    Thanks this is helpful. I will try to see if I could have ginger tea tomorrow in the nearest store in my place. I will take your advice
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

My calorie goal is 1300. I usually just intake a little less from it like about 1200+

You only have 10 pounds to lose. Unless you are very small to start with, there is no reason to eat that little. What are your height, weight, normal everyday activity level not including exercise (e.g., do you sit all day or walk to the store/classes/etc.), and how often do you do exercise (along with how long and what type of exercise do you do?)
  • jemRun
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @jemRun it's not very healthy to think so down on yourself like that. You need to spend some time loving yourself. On the other note... What kind of pains are we talking about? Just hunger pains?

H. Yes I am trying to start to love myself bit by bit. I am not sure what kind of pain I am having right now but for now, I get some sudden stomach aches since I started following my calorie goal using this app. I checked the thread I created just awhile ago and they told me its hunger pain or gastric flux.
  • jemRun
    Options
    Couldn't edit that part. I mean this thread and the others told me here its hunger pain or gastric flux. Anyway, i'm noting them now in my reminders list
  • jemRun
    Options

You only have 10 pounds to lose. Unless you are very small to start with, there is no reason to eat that little. What are your height, weight, normal everyday activity level not including exercise (e.g., do you sit all day or walk to the store/classes/etc.), and how often do you do exercise (along with how long and what type of exercise do you do?)

I'm doing it bit by bit and I feel like I want to start with losing 10 lbs this month. I'm about 5'2 and 160 lbs. And I usually sit all day and do exercise every other day in a week. In weekends, I do some running and right now, i'm doing some ab workout
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If your abdomen really hurts, and you're not talking about hunger or minor indigestion, see a doctor. Being on a diet doesn't mean you can't get appendicitis or something else that isn't caused by what you're eating.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you changed up your diet in terms of the type of foods you are eating? Is it possible that you've introduced a new food that doesn't agree with you?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I'm doing it bit by bit and I feel like I want to start with losing 10 lbs this month. I'm about 5'2 and 160 lbs. And I usually sit all day and do exercise every other day in a week. In weekends, I do some running and right now, i'm doing some ab workout

10lbs in a month is overly ambitious even if you were obese. I mean, you may manage it with the extra loss from water weight at the beginning, but it really is pushing it. 2lbs/week is the highest recommended rate of loss, and that's only for people that have a lot of weight to lose. So 10lbs in a month really isn't a good idea... especially if your stomach is hurting.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

Wait, what?! Have I missed something?! OP, nothing about this comment suggested bullying of any sort - or are you being sarcastic? It's hard to tell online..!

Anyway, these sound like the dreaded hunger pangs. I'd say listen to your body and eat something. If it stops them, fantastic! Spread your food out a bit more throughout the day to put a stop to the 'pains'! Hope this helps.
  • byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ten lbs. In a month seems like an overly ambitious goal for someone who is not so overweight such as yourself. A healthy goal is usually one to two lbs per week. If you shhot for this MFP will allow you a higher calorie intake. You can also eat a few more calories per day by adding exercise to your routine. If you want to get the most out of your allotted calories you may want to consider eating high protien, low calorie foods such as eggs, fish and chicken (grilled of course) and weighing all your food. AND AVOID SUGAR AT ALL COSTS!!! Drinking water all day and especially before meals might help with the stomach pains. Good luck!