Should I throw out or donate my old baggie clothes?

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind of person who usually keeps my clothes until they're totally irreparable... and even then, I'll wander around with holey trousers! So most of my clothes that I shrunk out of were not suitable for donation. I donated what could be donated and threw away the rest.
  • Beelewis98
    Beelewis98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    definitely donate
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I sell mine at a resale shop and donate whatever they don't take.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Donate. I kept 1 size up. For me, it's very easy to fluctuate a size depending on a what season it is.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    get rid of em! I sent everything above a size 16 to goodwill and when I inevitably fell off the bandwagon I noticed because my jeans started to cut into me. If I kept my old clothes I would have just grabbed another pair. This way my wardrobe physically keeps me in check. I'm back at it because I REFUSE to buy another pair of 18's.

*pro tip: toss all the stretchy pants too, they'll let you gain without noticing.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If the old clothes are in good shape, by all means, donate them! I'm gearing up to do that myself, as I've managed to go down a dress size. For the stuff not in good shape, I give to my Mom who chops up the fabric to use in crazy quilts. :)
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who has a HUGE wardrobe of clothes and while I don't consider myself to be a fashion guru, many of my friends often comment positively on what I wear and ask for my advice when shopping :-)

Having been very overweight (twice! Long story) and quite skinny I have become a first-hand expert at dressing well for every size and my wardrobe has become a clothing rental service because I have almost every outfit in every size lol! My friends come in all shapes and sizes and many have said they love going through my collection because there is always something in there that fits. They say it inspires them concentrate on getting healthier rather than appearances because they can see for themselves that it's perfectly possible to look good at any weight (and all weights in between).

.....And that makes me feel awesome!
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Donate whatever is in good condition and can be resold.

Don't just throw it all in a bag like most people do. The charities spend a lot of time sorting and throwing out donations that are not good enough to sell. It isn't the same as the tangible tax deduction, but pre-sorting for them is time you're donating so they don't have to. It's more of a pay it forward kind of donation.

Other than socks and gloves, I had to replace my entire wardrobe, so I dropped a lot of good stuff off over the last couple years. My loss their gain (pun intended).
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Aside for one pair of shorts and one tank I take all my progress pics, I donate as things get too big. I did however box up all of my summer dresses a few weeks ago. They're all mostly maxi style, and we're talking about conceiving one more time this winter, so I thought I'd save myself some money on maternity clothing!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    hiphop10 wrote: »
    I lost 52 pounds and I had to buy some new clothes. Should I get rid of the baggie clothes?
    I ask this because I'd like to know what others have done.

Seems like a stupid question from the title, you should donate them instead of throwing them away that applies to anything not just clothing.

I went from a 5XL to a small, bought most of my stuff in a medium- large range as I do bulk and cutting cycles, the majority of my stuff is in a medium though. I donated everything, for my dress cloths and suits I found an organization that specializes in helping people find work.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who read the question as the single option of "throw out or donate" (in other words, get rid of them), as opposed to hanging on to them (just in case of back-sliding and re-gaining some of the weight).

OP, if this is what you meant, I would hang on to at least some of the nicer ones until you have been comfortably in maintenance for a while, especially if you have a history of rebound weight gain and/or a limited budget. Clothing is expensive and the sad fact is that many people regain at least some of the weight. While you hang on to them, you can put them on from time to time and they will become a great motivational tool to see how far you have come. Then, when you feel that maintenance has become routine and this now your lifestyle (which is the goal of MFP, after all) and not something that you have to work on, struggle with, or think about daily, then donate them.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who read the question as the single option of "throw out or donate" (in other words, get rid of them), as opposed to hanging on to them (just in case of back-sliding and re-gaining some of the weight).

OP, if this is what you meant, I would hang on to at least some of the nicer ones until you have been comfortably in maintenance for a while, especially if you have a history of rebound weight gain and/or a limited budget. Clothing is expensive and the sad fact is that many people regain at least some of the weight. While you hang on to them, you can put them on from time to time and they will become a great motivational tool to see how far you have come. Then, when you feel that maintenance has become routine and this now your lifestyle (which is the goal of MFP, after all) and not something that you have to work on, struggle with, or think about daily, then donate them.
    I think this is the best, and most realistic, advice. I lost most of my weight and then regained it all, due to a number of factors. I had got rid of a lot of my clothes, and had to buy more - that's depressing. While losing this time, I've put the larger sizes right away, so I can't easily reach for a larger size if I'm getting dressed and my pants are a bit tight. But if I genuinely gain weight again, I will at least have some nice things to wear. If I find I never need them - and that's the plan - that's when I'll donate them.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »
    I'm someone who has a HUGE wardrobe of clothes and while I don't consider myself to be a fashion guru, many of my friends often comment positively on what I wear and ask for my advice when shopping :-)

Having been very overweight (twice! Long story) and quite skinny I have become a first-hand expert at dressing well for every size and my wardrobe has become a clothing rental service because I have almost every outfit in every size lol! My friends come in all shapes and sizes and many have said they love going through my collection because there is always something in there that fits. They say it inspires them concentrate on getting healthier rather than appearances because they can see for themselves that it's perfectly possible to look good at any weight (and all weights in between).

.....And that makes me feel awesome!

QUbetha, I entered a fitness contest. I'm pear shaped, meaning my top is very fit but I carry my weight in my hips and thights. I was thinking of wearing an exercise bra and ankle length yoga pants with heeels in my after photo. Advice?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I donate to the Salvation Army or Volunteers of America a couple times a year or more. Basically, anything I have no use for anymore, that might still be useful to someone else. That includes clothing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have gotten rid of my bigger clothes. I save an outfit or two one size up but that's it. Last fall I put an ad on Craigslist that said something like "I've lost 50 pounds and have 5 boxes of clothes size 14 through 18. Mix of casual and dress/business appropriate. Nothing stained or unwearable. Everything free but you must take all." A woman came and got them and said that she had lost 50 pounds and was just getting into those sizes.
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 3x to small. I've donated tons of bags of clothes as I've lost 137 pounds over the last 4 years. This year I went from a size Large in early spring to a size small. I have many size medium shirts sitting in my closet barely worn. I've sold bras, dresses and coats though.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them however you feel is best. It they're worn out, no one will want them. If they're new it's a nice gesture to donate the.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I get the chance to do this - Congratulations by the way - I shall keep one complete old set of clothing - for the sake of occasionally putting it on - to "scare myself" into laughing - "I aint never going back to that"

I like your idea just good one :smile:
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I get to this point I plan to give away donate whatever is to large. I am apple shaped though so I have a long way to go before I am down a size. Some of my clothing starting to get loose around my waist. Most of my clothes getting baggie in the legs and bottom areas (yeah) but not enough to go down a size yet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Definitely donate them. Think of how wonderful it will make someone feel to get new clothes.