New to MFP...Need advice

Options
My calorie goal is set to 1200 calories per day by MFP, will I lose weight even if I don't work out? I'm 138 lbs and my goal is 116 lbs in 3 months.

Replies

• neldacastillo45
    neldacastillo45 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well you can but it depends on the kind of food you ate eating. But the ideal weight loss is 2 lbs per week. That way you are able to keep it off instead of losing so much and just gaining it back eventually.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are around 5'5" then your maintenance is just over 1700 calories. that the level at which you neither gain or lose if you eat that much. Eating at 1200 is quite tough and the minimum. That would put you on course for a 1lb a week weight loss. If 13 weeks is an optimistic 13lbs, then you would only make it to a theoretical 125lbs, so your goal is unrealistic.

The other point is that with so little to lose then you will find it hard to maintain even 1lb a week straight weight loss as it never goes down in a straight line. When you get closer to traget it slows down.

So be more realistic and patient. Its going to take you longer, even if you manage a sustained consistent accurate deficit. To lose 22lbs then id be looking at 6 months. You can do it without exercise, but it would be easier with.

Depending on your height dont go too low.
    Get some scales and weigh your food.
    Consider lifting weights.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Well you can but it depends on the kind of food you ate eating. But the ideal weight loss is 2 lbs per week. That way you are able to keep it off instead of losing so much and just gaining it back eventually.
    It doesn't matter that much WHAT food so much as the total calories consumed.
  • akankshakish
    akankshakish Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you are around 5'5" then your maintenance is just over 1700 calories. that the level at which you neither gain or lose if you eat that much. Eating at 1200 is quite tough and the minimum. That would put you on course for a 1lb a week weight loss. If 13 weeks is an optimistic 13lbs, then you would only make it to a theoretical 125lbs, so your goal is unrealistic.

The other point is that with so little to lose then you will find it hard to maintain even 1lb a week straight weight loss as it never goes down in a straight line. When you get closer to traget it slows down.

So be more realistic and patient. Its going to take you longer, even if you manage a sustained consistent accurate deficit. To lose 22lbs then id be looking at 6 months. You can do it without exercise, but it would be easier with.

Consider lifting weights.[/quote

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm 5 2' and currently weigh 62.3 kgs and if not 25lbs I atleast want to achieve a target of 55 kgs in 3 months time. I'm incorpating walking along with healthy diet. I'm a sugar freak but I have given up all the desserts and chocolates for now. Does it sound feasible then?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are there 2 of these threads now?
  • akankshakish
    Options
    Are there 2 of these threads now?
    Oops! I guess it got posted twice
  • akankshakish
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Consider lifting weights.
    Thanks guys for your replies. I'm 5 2' and currently weigh 62.3 kgs and if not 25lbs I atleast want to achieve a target of 55 kgs in 3 months time. I'm incorpating walking along with healthy diet. I'm a sugar freak but I have given up all the desserts and chocolates for now. Does it sound feasible then?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My calorie goal is set to 1200 calories per day by MFP, will I lose weight even if I don't work out? I'm 138 lbs and my goal is 116 lbs in 3 months.

1200 is your goal BEFORE exercise. So yes, you will lose weight with zero exercise. Ditch the time frame.....

22 pounds to lose.....here's a moderate schedule:

Pounds per week goals
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

With zero strength training you want a moderate deficit to help you lose less lean muscle. Aggressive weight loss often results in a somewhat puffy look.
  • akankshakish
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

1200 is your goal BEFORE exercise. So yes, you will lose weight with zero exercise. Ditch the time frame.....

22 pounds to lose.....here's a moderate schedule:

Pounds per week goals
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

With zero strength training you want a moderate deficit to help you lose less lean muscle. Aggressive weight loss often results in a somewhat puffy look.
    I'm 5 2' and currently weigh 62.3 kgs and if not 25lbs I atleast want to achieve a target of 55 kgs in 3 months time. I'm incorpating walking along with healthy diet. I'm a sugar freak but I have given up all the desserts and chocolates for now. Does it sound feasible then?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    55kg goal weight is feasible in 3 months.
    Slow and steady wins the race :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, as your deficit is already built in.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its feasible but not guaranteed. It requires you to be accurate with your deficits. Id split it into monthly phases and keep adjusting if the 3 month overall traget is important and not something you just whipped up. Much better than your original.