The fitness photographer

Options
Here's my story. Enjoy :)

I've been working out consistently for almost a year now. 5-7 days a week, on a 4 day split.

Before that it was hit or miss and I wasn't as dedicated as I am now. I started late 2013, would go once or twice for a couple weeks and then would stop for months, and then I'd go again and then stop.

Well after my ex fiancé left me last year I knew something had to change. So I fully committed myself to the gym and now I am proud to say I am officially a Gym Rat and couldn't be happier.

My goal is to keep packing on muscle, while staying lean.

I would guess I'm around 165lbs and about 10% body fat. But I don't really focus on those numbers. I just go by how I feel and look in the mirror.

I just started using MyFitnessPal religiously to track my macros to make sure my Macros are on point. Also since muscle gain is so important, I have to make sure my body is getting enough calories so I'm not in a deficit. None of this would be possible with MFP.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and hopefully meet some new people.

Below are my photos. I do photography, professionally on the side. Mainly weddings and senior portraits.

Before and After
sean_before_after_zpsf2jgbz89.jpg

Trying to be a fitness model :)
20150829-0048-Edit_zpsucaiziej.jpg

Close up of the After
20150829-0022-Edit_zpswgunxmlp.jpg

-Sean

Replies

• mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great! Keep up the good work!
  • ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good job keep doing what you doing
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Very impressive - and the new tattoos look great!
  • paddles34
    paddles34 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Who do you love
  • plushieboo
    plushieboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great!! Keep up the good work!
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look great! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you! A lot of hard work and dedication has been put into my journey.
    ajgordo150 wrote: »
    Good job keep doing what you doing
    Thats the plan. Put in the hard work, and it will eventually pay off :)
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    Very impressive - and the new tattoos look great!
    Thank you :) I'd like more one day, but priorities trump my funds lol
    paddles34 wrote: »
    Who do you love
    I'm a lover not a fighter :)
    plushieboo wrote: »
    Wow you look great!! Keep up the good work!
    Thank you very much :)
  • Serenajeans
    Serenajeans Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing your story. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    wix5w064yu3c.gif

Great job and nice ink.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress. And now I wish I knew more about lighting; your progress photos are way better than the ones I take in my closet mirror...
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing your story. :)
    Thank you for reading :)
    zyxst wrote: »
    How you doin'?
    Great job and nice ink.
    Haha I love that photo :wink: Thank you.
    auddii wrote: »
    Fantastic progress. And now I wish I knew more about lighting; your progress photos are way better than the ones I take in my closet mirror...
    Lighting is definitely tricky. When trying to emphasize ones body, especially muscles you need to know a little about lighting and how it affects shapes, sizes, texture, etc.

For these photos, I focused more on a harsh light set up, closer to my body.

A harsher light creates harder shadows and a brighter highlight. Creating a more 3D look and feel.

You can't achieve that 'defined' look, without shadows.

So some pointers, use "side lighting" or "off axis lighting", you don't want the light coming straight at you, this will make your photo appear flat or dull. By pushing the light to the side, you create the 3D affect.

Think of a round ball. When its on the side, half the ball is lit, while the other half is in the shadow. The closer you bring the light to the ball, the harder the shadow gets.

Check out this youtube video that briefly goes into what I'm saying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffOw8FNLKM

Any questions, just let me know :)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a photographer for my after photo for a fitness contest I'm in near Annapolis, MD. Of course, considering how AWFUL I look in the before contest, anything would be a winner. Any advice? Can a regular only photographer snap me? What should a pear shaped woman wear? I found 2 maryilyn monroe 1950 era bathing suits. What is your advice? Thanks.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You have me wondering what I would look like if I did a bulk. Probably should! Great progress there!
  • sscarmack
    Options
    I'm looking for a photographer for my after photo for a fitness contest I'm in near Annapolis, MD. Of course, considering how AWFUL I look in the before contest, anything would be a winner. Any advice? Can a regular only photographer snap me? What should a pear shaped woman wear? I found 2 maryilyn monroe 1950 era bathing suits. What is your advice? Thanks.

Another great video, just shows the different lighting can make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1eG1g9vNY

I would definitely suggest going to a photographer who understands lighting and especially "sport lighting" or "action lighting".

You're not going to want to go to someone who specializes in photographing infants haha. Two completely opposites approaches.

Depending on your skin tone, color, texture, you don't want to wear anything that will hurt you. What I mean by that is this. If you pale skin, you don't want to wear black. If your darker, you don't want to wear white. Too much contrast between the two will hurt you. Looks bad in photos.

I like sticking with neutral colors light, blues, greens, reds, purples.

Yellow is usually too bright, same with pink (unless its a darker pink).

And as far as a bathing suit goes, whatever you feel comfortable in. I looked up the Marilyn Monroe 1950 suits and I think that would be great. Just be careful with the colors you choose.

And of course once you find a local photographer, I'm sure they will be more than willing to help you out.
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Super progress.
  • sscarmack
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    Amazing! You have me wondering what I would look like if I did a bulk. Probably should! Great progress there!
    From your photos, you are well on your way. While I have packed on a lot of weight, you have to be extremely careful you're packing on the "right weight". I've stayed a steady 10% body fat and thats my goal. I don't want to sacrifice my body fat just to "get big".

I don't think it would hurt anyone to add muscle to their frame. Just be smart about it :)
  • sscarmack
    Options
    boxfish100 wrote: »
    Super progress.

Thank you BF :)
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing progress!
  • sscarmack
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing progress!

Thanks Jenn :)
  • showmanmd
    showmanmd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    wix5w064yu3c.gif

Great job and nice ink.

I 2nd this :blush:

Kickass Job!!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Wow congrats you look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!