Eat to Live

Options
124»

Replies

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's not a CURE FOR CANCER it helps minimize diseases you get from animal products! If by this way of eating you get all the nutrients you need then what's the big deal? Why do people get so defensive? I think that Breast Dr's know more than just breast cancer, they do research to find what causes cancers! If this makes me feel better then I'm going to do it, and so far for 2 days I feel great! And NO this is not just a 6 week plan and then I go off of it, this is a LIFE CHANGE! If I am successful with this then I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK! Plus I am exercising daily!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    My philosophy is: Eat to live and NOT Live to Eat as a way to control my weight. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and according with lemurcat12 posting, that diet is waaaay to restrictive..Where is the beef (protein)?

The protein is found in lots of veggies and beans and nuts! People SHOULD read the book!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not a CURE FOR CANCER it helps minimize diseases you get from animal products! If by this way of eating you get all the nutrients you need then what's the big deal? Why do people get so defensive? I think that Breast Dr's know more than just breast cancer, they do research to find what causes cancers! If this makes me feel better then I'm going to do it, and so far for 2 days I feel great! And NO this is not just a 6 week plan and then I go off of it, this is a LIFE CHANGE! If I am successful with this then I NEVER WANT TO GO BACK! Plus I am exercising daily!

Unfortunately, a lot of research is based on correlation instead of causation. My wife has a medical issue, so we have seen about 10 or 15 different types of doctors and the discussions I have had with them, insinuate that the more research that is done on cancer, the more correlation is suggesting its more genetic than environmental. Grant it, one should always eat a diet that is based on a variety of nutrient dense foods (fruits, veggies, proteins, dairy, legumes, fish, etc..) but switching to one diet or the next will not necessarily prevent cancer from coming back. Health is more determined by ones weight and exercise routine than specific foods you eat. And if this diet helps you achieve a healthy weight, then great.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is: Eat to live and NOT Live to Eat as a way to control my weight. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and according with lemurcat12 posting, that diet is waaaay to restrictive..Where is the beef (protein)?

The protein is found in lots of veggies and beans and nuts! People SHOULD read the book!

Depends on how much protein you want. I ran a day and found it was easy to get above the RDA. I couldn't get the levels of protein that I have read help preserve lean body mass at a deficit or build muscle when bulking or recomping, and those are goals of mine.

And you can't eat LOTS of nuts -- looks like the amount is limited.
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Depends on how much protein you want. I ran a day and found it was easy to get above the RDA. I couldn't get the levels of protein that I have read help preserve lean body mass at a deficit or build muscle when bulking or recomping, and those are goals of mine.

You're right it's not LOTS of nuts, it's 1 oz a day!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The point (at least some) people are trying to make is that this diet is unnecessarily restrictive. In addition to restricting fats, it also restricts excellent sources of plant-based protein like tofu, tempeh, and seitan (not to mention grains). I have been vegan for nine years and I would find it difficult to maintain my activity level on the protein found in vegetables and one cup of beans per day.

If this works for you, then that's awesome. But for many people, this level of restriction is just not sustainable. When I tried this plan, it left me hungry and miserable. When I eat more protein and fat, I just feel better and more energetic.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    although I'm sure Dr. Oz has already endorsed another diet involving taking grains of salt and has told people they'll lose 80lbs per week.

LOLZ

unrelated - I recently starting back on MFP and have been stalking a few threads and always have the urge to "like" comments as if I'm on facebook... does that sensation ever go away?

• momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan of any 'book' or 'how to' guide when it comes to weight loss.

There is always some kind of odd little twist and 'fast weight loss' tip involved. Businesses make a LOT of money from over-weight people looking for quick fixes - usually from using words such as "FAST" followed by pictures of huge plates of food and the phrase "EAT ALL THIS AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT". It appeals to people. People want fast results but they don't want to change their eating habits - enter the 'how to' book that promises you the world for just £X.XX per month *sigh*.

I've probably tried every single 'fad' or 'how to guide' out there - because I was desperate to lose weight fast. I followed their (sometimes INSANE) plans, restricted myself to the point of desperation, binge ate myself into a stupor and then moved on to the next book promising the same. It was a constant battle.

MFP taught me the science of weight loss (and the logic). Eat less. Move more.
    Forget carb cutting, only eating after 7:30 PM, no meat, raw foods only, shake cleanses and detox plans.

I eat a calorie deficit and I work out 4 times a week. I eat a tonne of carbs, I eat LATE at night. I hate raw food. I can't be bothered with shakes and your body detoxes itself. I've lost 30lbs. The ONLY thing that has worked.

I just feel sad to see people spending their hard earned money on another 'hype' that'll be replaced with a different kind of 'hype' a few weeks later. Sorry If i've gone totally off subject. I needed to get it off my chest somewhere ;)

Pinkie was this your commercial? ;)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck
    Seriously though let's all try to be healthy in a responsible way, don't follow a crazy restrictive diet because you think it's going to cure/prevent cancer that's unrealistic and quite frankly the vegetables are having mental breakdowns over the undue pressure you're putting on them. Cancer is a horrible disease that no one wants to experience, especially after beating it once already, but please think rationally and don't buy a bottle of snake oil because of fear or desperation. I wish everyone the best of luck and the best of health! :)
  • Miskarunner
    Miskarunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read Eat to Live, Fasting -for-health, Super immunity all books from Dr. Fuhrman. I like books. I tried eat to live, but man, I stayed on toilet most of the time. So it is not suitable plan for me. Also I do not like no olive oil idea. I like to eat lots of veggies and fruits, but after couple of days on Eat to live, I started to hate them. Everybody is different. You may love it and it may benefits you. I prefer more balanced diet (including some fish, cheese or yogurt).
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options

I KNOW THAT!!!! Please read my comment in page 2. You have to eat tons of nuts, veggies, and beans to get a decent amount of protein. Carbs, fat and calories will be very high too, at least for me. I am not bashing or against people that wants or prefers to eat plant based meals; it is their choice if their prefer to have a low amount of protein, and I don't need or will read the book. I don't care about it, I am happy with my ratios of 35% C, 35% F and30% P. Carry on.
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options

I KNOW THAT!!!! Please read my comment in page 2. You have to eat tons of nuts, veggies, and beans to get a decent amount of protein. Carbs, fat and calories will be very high too, at least for me. I am not bashing or against people that wants or prefers to eat plant based meals; it is their choice if their prefer to have a low amount of protein, and I don't need or will read the book. I don't care about it, I am happy with my ratios of 35% C, 35% F and30% P. Carry on.

Gotcha...I understand I noticed that too and am increasing my protein I'm making adjustments as necessary!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options

The point (at least some) people are trying to make is that this diet is unnecessarily restrictive. In addition to restricting fats, it also restricts excellent sources of plant-based protein like tofu, tempeh, and seitan (not to mention grains). I have been vegan for nine years and I would find it difficult to maintain my activity level on the protein found in vegetables and one cup of beans per day.

If this works for you, then that's awesome. But for many people, this level of restriction is just not sustainable. When I tried this plan, it left me hungry and miserable. When I eat more protein and fat, I just feel better and more energetic.

I agree with you, I have included Tofu and other protein, I am making adjustments as I see fit, but I am using this as a guide to a healthy balanced diet. I also have included more grains than said. thank you for your comments.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I agree with you, I have included Tofu and other protein, I am making adjustments as I see fit, but I am using this as a guide to a healthy balanced diet. I also have included more grains than said. thank you for your comments.

Good luck! If you are interested in low fat vegan recipes that use more grains/starches, you may be interested in Dr. McDougall's work. I don't follow his plan, but I have one of his cookbooks (the quick and easy one) and I've found the recipes to be easy and tasty.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I know Dr. Fuhrman is a regular on Dr. Oz. (No, I do not watch that show.) And he always has a book to hawk, so take that info with a grain of salt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the basic principle of eat lots of plant foods (like vegetables and fruit and legumes) is a good one.

I think veganism is great if one has an ethical commitment to it, but is very tough if one does not. I also think many of us could afford to eat less animal-sourced calories, but that getting more protein can be really helpful in losing weight, so that part of this would make it harder for many.

I don't agree that there's a reason to cut out stuff like olive oil, although I did reduce my consumption when I decided to reduce calories.

But of course if you find it motivating and helpful as a guide, that's great. Another good guide is http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes* Sorry, I have not tried that method to give you a reference. But, the same people who tell you to pick one way to eat that lasts "forever", will drop the prior caveat and tell you to eat however you please moments later. Take what they post here with a grain of salt and listen to your doctor. "CICO" is just another buzzword, and is a biological function that occurs regardless of your food/exercise plan.
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    I think the basic principle of eat lots of plant foods (like vegetables and fruit and legumes) is a good one.

I think veganism is great if one has an ethical commitment to it, but is very tough if one does not. I also think many of us could afford to eat less animal-sourced calories, but that getting more protein can be really helpful in losing weight, so that part of this would make it harder for many.

I don't agree that there's a reason to cut out stuff like olive oil, although I did reduce my consumption when I decided to reduce calories.

But of course if you find it motivating and helpful as a guide, that's great. Another good guide is http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/.

thank you! I agree with what you said!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    *rolls eyes* Sorry, I have not tried that method to give you a reference. But, the same people who tell you to pick one way to eat that lasts "forever", will drop the prior caveat and tell you to eat however you please moments later. Take what they post here with a grain of salt and listen to your doctor. "CICO" is just another buzzword, and is a biological function that occurs regardless of your food/exercise plan.

thank you!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I'm a vegan and have been for several years, and I agree with all of this. It works great for me, but definitely not for everyone. My partner eats meat (and a lot of it) and always will, so I really think people need to do what works for them.

That being said, I don't personally see veganism as restrictive, and I think that any diet that is promoting a restrictive version of vegan eating is a little wonky ...

As a vegan, you have to work harder than omnivores to meet certain protein goals, and vitamin and mineral counts. This is a fact. It doesn't mean it's not possible, but it means it's more work. It's very easy to become a "junk food vegetarian" (or vegan) - or one with inadequate protein, low B12, iron deficiency, etc.

I second another poster's suggestion about the Happy Herbivores group. You're welcome to add me or message me if you want to chat some more about the ins and outs of plant based eating (although I haven't read this book and as I said, I don't ascribe to a restrictive version of veganism at all).

Best of luck to you!