Training for marathon

Options
So, I run slow. What others would call a walk, I call a jog/run. I average between 13:30-15:00mins/mile depending on the temperature and terrain. Feeling a little down because many people have seen me out running and say, "hey I saw you out walking". Even my husbands siblings poke fun at my pace. I know it shouldn't bother me. I know I am doing better than the people sitting on the couch...but man is it a motivation killer. Just was looking for some support. I am about halfway through my training for my first full marathon. I have completed three half marathons and will be doing my fourth in three weeks. I can still call myself a runner...right?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    haters-kevin-g-mean-girls.gif?w=480&h=272

You run. You're a runner. Look at it this way, you're getting more out of your money when you take your time during a race.

But seriously, there are always going to be people slower, and faster. Don't worry about it. Get through your first marathon training successfully, and uninjured, and then if you want, there are all kinds of ways to work on your pace.
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have a four miler tonight. Running as I have been. Just needed the encouragement!
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    2329vblk-w800h800z1-26818-slower-than-internet-explorer.jpg

This shirt is made for folks like you and me, OP. We may be on the slow side, but we're still runners dang it!
  • tucky3203
    Options
    Love the shirt! Love that we run!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You are doing great :) I am trying to get faster but I currently run between a 13-13:30 mile.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tucky3203 wrote: »
    I can still call myself a runner...right?

That shouldn't even be a question! Of course you are a runner! :smiley:

Stick with what you are doing - getting through training uninjured is a major accomplishment in itself and is a worthy objective for anyone. No one likes to be sidelined; if you can avoid that you are not only a runner but a WISE runner.

No doubt those making a joke at your expense aren't also runners. If they were, they wouldn't make those kinds of insensitive wisecracks. Real runners - like you - understand that everyone has their own pace and needs.

Don't let such comments get you down. Instead write them off as coming from people who don't run that don't know what they are talking about.

PS: There are running jerks out there. Ignore them too. Because, well, they are jerks!

• tucky3203
    Options
    PS: There are running jerks out there. Ignore them too. Because, well, they are jerks!

This comment is the best! thanks!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    2329vblk-w800h800z1-26818-slower-than-internet-explorer.jpg

This shirt is made for folks like you and me, OP. We may be on the slow side, but we're still runners dang it!

i want it
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    As you know, I'm injured but I am also a slow runner. I'm a 12 minute miler. I like this shirt.

2329hgrey-w484h484z1-56092-i-run-like-a-mermaid.jpg
  • tucky3203
    Options
    You guys are amazing and making my day a whole lot better!
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I can run faster than your husband and all his siblings. And yet to many other runners, I'm slow. I never make fun of slower people because dammit they are out there, getting it done, being awesome.

Now that said, most people CAN make the choice to get faster but it's like playing the piano - you have to put in the time and consistency. It's a choice (usually - there are exceptions). Coaches, running clinics, groups etc are all out there.

Good luck on the marathon training!
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The only reason I run faster is to end it sooner. But whatever it takes to get the job done! I've done a half marathon this last spring and promised myself never to do it again. More power to ya!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm slow too - but dang girl you've done HMs and now training for a full - and THEY have the nerve to rag you about your pace???? How many races have they done? How many miles do they log in a day? I bet they feel guilty cause you're showing them all up. And if that's not the case and they ARE runners (which you ARE btw) shame on them. They would be the exception and not the rule. I've found runners to be very encouraging so far. Running is hard work. Getting faster or more distance is hard work. Hold your head high and run it girl
  • tucky3203
    Options
    My husband is super supportive and has always called me a runner. His brother and sister in law not so much. His brother is a runner and cross country coach. He feels if your mile isn't under 10 mins you shouldn't even try. He still thinks I won't finish the marathon. I've trained too long and hard not to finish. I think my pride was hurt and needed a pick me up. This forum has helped motivate me even more to accomplish the goal. Thank you everyone so much!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Have you tried telling them that it hurts your feelings? Sometimes people are just obtuse and trying to be "funny", and don't realize what they're saying is hurtful.
    And YES - you can absolutely call yourself a runner!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Your brother in law sounds like "Peaked in High School Rob Lowe". I've met people like that before but not so many after middle school....
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'm considered slow 12 min to 10:54 min. My husband teases me, my son's call it a mamma jog but hey I AM A RUNNER! I'm not discouraged
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    tucky3203 wrote: »
    His brother is a runner and cross country coach. He feels if your mile isn't under 10 mins you shouldn't even try.

@tucky3203, this is an incredibly ignorant statement by your brother-in-law and the fact that he's a cross country coach and still believes this is just amazing. I would not want my kids to be coached by this guy. Ridiculous!!

There's absolutely no question that you are are runner. THREE half marathons? training for a full? You have my respect, fellow runner!!

You can either ignore these foolish comments or use them as motivation.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Walking is 1 foot on the floor at all times and running is a period of being airborne between steps. As long as that happens you are running. Pace is irrelavent!

Awesome job on the 2 HM's and good luck on the Full. You'll be great just keep moving forward and give yourself the opertunity to prove them wrong!