After a year of lurking, a first (and grateful) post - Goodbye Menopause Middle

Options
Today I celebrate my 1 year anniversary logging. I've lost 52.2 pounds (every tenth of a pound down is noted and cherished!), going a bit past my original goal, and I owe my success to this MFP approach and to all of you in this community who kept me buoyed and committed to change.

This was the easiest 'diet' I've ever been on. I call it the Honest diet.

Usually, at my yearly check up when I stepped up on the scale, I stuck my fingers in my ears, lest the nurse say the number out loud, and closed my eyes. Last year ... I looked. I almost fell off the apparatus. Good gravy!

I shouldn't have been surprised. My size 16 jeans had certainly lost some of their bagginess. Ugh, ugh.

On the way home I bought a digital scale. I found MFP, started reading the posts in this community forum, took inspiration from others' successes. I began. I bought the necessary food scale and started logging, even going back in my memory and figuring out just what I'd *been* eating in a day. That was an eye-opener, and even so I was surely underestimating. Yikes!

Being honest with myself was the ticket. My diet wasn't really unhealthy choice-wise, just unhealthy portion-wise. I retired from a physically active job – an organic market gardener and cut flower grower. I cared for my mother during her last years. Throw in menopause and things got un-lovely fast. I knew I had to get some of the mid-section weight off my internal organs if I wanted a healthy, active retirement.

And thanks to you all – your own journeys, your encouragements, your straight-talking – I did it. I've been in maintenance mode for two months, trying to find the proper balance because I'm still losing, in part, I think, because I feel so much more energetic these days, I hit the ground every morning excited for the day. I'm more eager to try new things. I move more. I'm just happier.

Of course there were some down days along the way. Here and there I felt sorry for myself (I'm married to Mr. Metabolism). Here and there I wanted chocolate layer cake with a milkshake chaser. But knowing I can do what I decide to do is empowering. MFP and this forum gave me the tools and showed me the way. I won't be surprised by my weight ever again – I plan to keep on logging.

Height: 5'8"
SW: 176.6
GW: 126.6
CW: 124.4

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

CW

At my recent appointment, I told my gynecologist I'd finally lost my pregnancy weight; it just took 30 years to do it. :-)

No before pics! If the camera came out for a group photo, I always moved to the back row.

Replies

• Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    What a great post! Congrats on your success. I am 61, and know how hard it is to lose. I wished I had come here to MFP a long time ago! I still have a way to go, but I must say this WOL and WOE has struck home for me!
  • cristylee12
    cristylee12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Your success is impressive. Being honest is key, I am finding that to be challenging myself. Good luck on maintenance!
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it to your goal. I laughed at the baby weight comment - when I started on this, I told someone I was looking to lose the baby weight. My son is a junior in college...
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    wow. what a great first post! You sound awesome, just went about your business and got it done! I always say the same thing...twenty years for my baby weight!
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great to see someone in our age group do so well! Congratulations! Had the opposite problem. I'm 63, and it's been really hard to lose because my job was very sedentary, long hours, very demanding. Now that I have retired there'd so much more time to exercise. Now I have no excuses :)
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wow - you must be a skinny minnie at 5'8" and 124 lbs! Congrats on your terrific results :) I'm 5'6.5" and I plan to stop at 135 I think - only 3.4 lbs to go - I can't wait to join you in maintenance.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Love your story ! Good job !
    I wanted to respond because our stats are quite close.
    Except you did it much quicker than I did. Spent four years trying on my own with some success and found MFP two years ago which got me to my final goal. I have been maintaining now for seven months.
    Height. 5'7.5
    Age. 57
    SW. 183.4
    GW. 136
    CW. 135.2
    Portion sizes were the key for me also.
    Have learned so much about nutrition...and the numbers involved to feel my best.
    For me that is lower carbs, sodium. In other words, steer clear of processed foods or as much as possible anyway. :)
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I am trying to log everything that goes into my mouth but it is hard to do, especially when it's something that pushes my calories or carbs over what they should be. Congratulations on your success. You are a strong woman!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • athenawj
    athenawj Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I've been at this for 16 months (I pretty much maintained for six months after my mom died), and have lost a little more than you, with three pounds to go. It only took me 24 years to lose my pregnancy weight, ha! Just goes to show: better late than never!
  • sholtzee
    sholtzee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Brilliany. Really needed some inspiration and I'm so glad to find your post and this thread. Thank you
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I needed this inspiration today :-)
  • southportmom2fab5
    Options
    Inspirational! Thank you.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Stupid menopause really messed me up too and it's taken me some trial and error to figure out how not to gain weight. Never had much trouble before.
  • jazzerle
    jazzerle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today - thank you and congratulations! I'm in my 50's and am having a hard time losing anything! I came lurking for motivation and you have helped!
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Way to go fsfgardener!!! My stats are almost identical and I am close to maintenance also. I find that just tracking everything everyday keeps me on track also. The best of luck is sent your way. Thanks for sharing your success.
  • fsfgardener
    fsfgardener Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I haven't talked about the weight management much, not the numbers of it. It's nice to be able to with others who don't hear it as bragging, but as milestones of a shared journey. My small family and closest couple of friends are happy for me and supportive, but the issue of weight can be a mine field.

Oddly enough, my being successful makes some people out there say some strange things. (I'm not talking about those who quietly and compassionately inquired about my health, worried that I was ill. They were so sweetly relieved that I was well and then asked how I did it and listened.) Some folks carrying extra weight wouldn't believe it was Simple Unemotional Math - I think they wanted something more magical. One person commented with a sort of bitter dare in her voice that the trick would be to keep it off - and while I would agree, I inferred from her tone that she expected - or would be willing to bet - that I wouldn't.

A couple folks mentioned I was too skinny and ought to gain back a few. This made me think. Was it true? Skinny isn't a term I'm used to hearing in the same sentence with my name, but I am - finally - realizing and believing I'm thin now. And thin enough. Or was it said because they needed to lose, but didn't want to commit to the changes necessary, to the cut-backs, the recognition and moderation of indulgences? Or ... Again ... Was it true? Can I have an objective body image? I've been known to stick my head in the sand, both for better and for worse ...

Looking back at this journey toward "the light" (light-er!), I'm realizing what mental focus it required. Some creative projects were put on hold - not necessarily on purpose, but that is how it turned out - as I needed the full force of my will and dreams to fix this.

Now, to turn some of that committed energy toward new enjoyments without going backwards ...

Again, thank you all for sharing so much.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you've done great. Now you can retire and be active and have a fun and healthy rest of your life. I am so happy for you. Now just maintain and love life.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love this post! You described me :D Congratulations!
    How many calories did you go by? I found I couldn't lose anything at 1200.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!