Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds nice. I'll have to look and see if we have it here, thanks! Kraft make Dairylea too, so it might be similar.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    That actually sounds nice. I'll have to look and see if we have it here, thanks! Kraft make Dairylea too, so it might be similar.

I find it a little salty, if it's put on too thick, but I guess that's something it shares with Vegemite / Marmite / Bovril from what I hear. I've never tried those products because I can't bring myself to buy a whole jar of something I'm pretty sure I won't like.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I find it a little salty, if it's put on too thick, but I guess that's something it shares with Vegemite / Marmite / Bovril from what I hear. I've never tried those products because I can't bring myself to buy a whole jar of something I'm pretty sure I won't like.

Smart. Because they taste like the feeling you get when you've been talking about someone behind their back and then you turn around and they are standing right there.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am willing to bet peanut butter (along with thousands of other processed foods) tastes different in various countries. Your peanut butter is not our peanut butter. I am glad I don't have digestive issues that prevent me from eating tasty foods. :)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "Funny" thing ... I'm a long distance cyclist, and I have done cycling events in various parts of the world where food is provided. Quite commonly on these events, in places like Canada, Australia, and Europe we're served things like pasta, mashed potatoes topped with cheese, chicken fried rice, perogies, eggs and chips, thick soups, and things like that. Not peanut butter sandwiches. Or if that is an option, it is served up as bread with a number of possible toppings including peanut butter. (Here in Australia, Vegemite will be among the 'number of possible toppings'. :grin: )

And yet I did one event in the US where the ONLY things they had on offer at one of the rest stops was pre-made peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and a small quantity of apple slices. I asked if I could make my own sandwich with just the bread and jam ... but they told me two things: 1) They had used up all the bread, peanut butter and jam making those sandwiches just for us; and 2) All cyclists like peanut butter.

"Not when they have an intolerance that results in agonising bloating and digestive issues", I said. That possibility had never occurred to them at all. And the possibility that peanut butter would be the only thing on offer had never occurred to me.

To their dismay, I ended eating almost all their apple slices (there weren't many) ... and to my dismay, I had to go find something to eat elsewhere at a time of day when practically nothing was open.

Peanut allergy is quite prevalent among UK children and can be very serious - even life threatening.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    "Funny" thing ... I'm a long distance cyclist, and I have done cycling events in various parts of the world where food is provided. Quite commonly on these events, in places like Canada, Australia, and Europe we're served things like pasta, mashed potatoes topped with cheese, chicken fried rice, perogies, eggs and chips, thick soups, and things like that. Not peanut butter sandwiches. Or if that is an option, it is served up as bread with a number of possible toppings including peanut butter. (Here in Australia, Vegemite will be among the 'number of possible toppings'. :grin: )

And yet I did one event in the US where the ONLY things they had on offer at one of the rest stops was pre-made peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and a small quantity of apple slices. I asked if I could make my own sandwich with just the bread and jam ... but they told me two things: 1) They had used up all the bread, peanut butter and jam making those sandwiches just for us; and 2) All cyclists like peanut butter.

"Not when they have an intolerance that results in agonising bloating and digestive issues", I said. That possibility had never occurred to them at all. And the possibility that peanut butter would be the only thing on offer had never occurred to me.

To their dismay, I ended eating almost all their apple slices (there weren't many) ... and to my dismay, I had to go find something to eat elsewhere at a time of day when practically nothing was open.

What I find even more shocking than them not realising not everyone can tolerate peanuts, is the thought that everyone likes peanut butter and jam. I doubt it is something anyone non-American thinks it is reasonable to combine these things.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

I swear it seems to be a thing in America to assume that everyone loves peanut butter/nuts in general.

I was there on holiday with my family a few years ago. We went to a restaurant and they bought this tray over with a plate of each desert for us to choose from. My dad went for a slice of chocolate cake. What they came back with was this chocolate cake thing covered in nuts. He said that wasn't what he ordered, and they said the desert on the tray was the last one they had, and that this was still chocolate cake, just with nuts. They acted as if the nuts could only be an improvement, and couldn't understand when he said he didn't like nuts and would rather not have a desert. Why even bother to go to the effort of bringing out a food tray with a plate of each desert if you're not going to serve that desert??
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Growing up, peanut butter and jelly was kind of an American staple for children for lunch. Probably every American house had some on their shelves. This was before all the nut allergies apparently. At school, to go along with hot lunch, you could have your choice of bread and butter, or bread and peanut butter.

Strangely enough, I never cared much for peanut butter or peanuts, until I started on MFP. Now I really like it, and don't really understand why, maybe because my body is craving more protein. Never have gotten the urge to eat it with a spoon though......................but, give me nutella and a spoon any day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

I swear it seems to be a thing in America to assume that everyone loves peanut butter/nuts in general.

I was there on holiday with my family a few years ago. We went to a restaurant and they bought this tray over with a plate of each desert for us to choose from. My dad went for a slice of chocolate cake. What they came back with was this chocolate cake thing covered in nuts. He said that wasn't what he ordered, and they said the desert on the tray was the last one they had, and that this was still chocolate cake, just with nuts. They acted as if the nuts could only be an improvement, and couldn't understand when he said he didn't like nuts and would rather not have a desert. Why even bother to go to the effort of bringing out a food tray with a plate of each desert if you're not going to serve that desert??

I've had them do that with ice cream. You order a sundae, and next thing you know, it's being topped with peanuts ... like nuts could only be an improvement. :grin:

I spent 3 months travelling around Europe a couple years ago, and ate a lot of the massive ice cream sundaes and things over there (Germans know how to make ice cream sundaes ... that's partly why I'm here now) ... but not a peanut in sight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    ... but, give me nutella and a spoon any day.

Nutella, I like. I have a skiff of it on toast most Saturday mornings. :)

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and Americans go way back, if you read the Carver link you will see it.
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Really that simple.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, and my mother is so in love with peanut butter she would have it all the time when I was growing up (like, on toast for breakfast, a spoon or two of an evening), even though, at age 2 I almost died from a spoonful of it, and have maintained my anaphylactic allergy into adulthood. I figure she must really really really love it... Obviously I don't understand the obsession, but people sure seem to go.. Haha... Nuts for it...

I have yet to visit America, and the apparent omnipresence of peanuts is one of the reasons. (Same with most of Asia).
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    We didn't have Peanut Butter in my country, so I never ate it until I was 18. Then I moved to the U.S. and I could finally taste it.
    First time it disgusted me, second time I loved it, third time it became an addiction. Peanut butter and Strawberry jam is so delicious.
    Well, now you can find it in every country (I think), but, of course, not as many types as in the U.S.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    U.S. could be the only country that considers Peanut Butter as a "protein" vs a "fat." Most other countries look at Peanut Butter as a "fat."

That's not going to stop me from eating my homemade peanut butter cookies <3
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is mentioned in lots of threads and I am wondering why people in US especially love it so much.

I tried it once years ago and it made me gag. I didn't like the taste or the texture and haven't touched it since.

And, here I thought I was the only person who didn't like peanut butter.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    We even had a President who was a peanut farmer from Georgia.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, peanut butter is a very common early food for kids. Economical, easy to store, doesn't need much chewing so little kids with few teeth can eat it, and a bit of bread with some PB is a reasonably nutritious, filling snack.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Here in the American South peanuts grow beautifully. They are plentiful and cheap. Peanut butter needs no refrigeration so that appeals to mom's making lunch. This being harvest time, peanuts and pumpkins are everywhere. Even better than peanut butter, boiled peanuts fresh from the ground. Yum.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I live in South Africa and also grew up on peanut butter. Peanut butter is supplied to school kids at the moment in free feeding schemes because it is an affordable protein. I can understand why some people might not like it as we all have our preferences but I find it delicious. I particularly used to like peanut butter and homemade apricot jam sandwiches growing up. My mother also make excellent peanut butter cookies.

I don't eat peanut butter all that often these days as I struggle to accommodate the calorie blow for the quantity I prefer. It is a once in a while treat for me now.

Marmite also rocks of course :)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

CheezWhiz shares NOTHING with Vegemite/Marmite/et al. :open_mouth: Nothing. CheezWhiz is yummy on crackers, Vegemite/Marmite is just.... ick. : :p

{waits for Australians to throw rocks at me... } (but do I get a pass maybe if I tell you my mother is Australian?...I still don't like Vegemite though.)