Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have to stop reading this thread, I had to have peanut butter and It was good, but I still crave it just seeing the words peanut butter over and over
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have to stop reading this thread, I had to have peanut butter and It was good, but I still crave it just seeing the words peanut butter over and over

Sorry!!!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I got away from peanut butter after finding out how calorie dense it is when I started this lifestyle. Used to eat multiple spoonfuls at a time. Now after 2 1/2 years I have lost a lot of my sense of hunger and have plenty of days that I find myself very short on calories at the end of the day. I try and eat very close to my goal and peanut butter is now a go to for a few hundred last minute easy, yummy calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nope, not weaned on it.

I don't actually remember having peanut butter until about 6th or 7th grade. Even then, I only got PB&J when mom ran out of deli meat. I liked peanut butter fine, but never thought it was all that until I was much older and was introduced to buckeyes and Ina Garten's peanut butter frosting.

Plus, a tablespoon will kill my hunger pangs better and for longer than ~100 cals of anything else I can think of.
  • stealthq
    Options
    Growing up, peanut butter and jelly was kind of an American staple for children for lunch. Probably every American house had some on their shelves. This was before all the nut allergies apparently. At school, to go along with hot lunch, you could have your choice of bread and butter, or bread and peanut butter.

Strangely enough, I never cared much for peanut butter or peanuts, until I started on MFP. Now I really like it, and don't really understand why, maybe because my body is craving more protein. Never have gotten the urge to eat it with a spoon though......................but, give me nutella and a spoon any day.

Or fats - that seems to be a thing for me, probably because I eat more leaner meats and fish than I used. I've had the same thing happen with higher fat cheeses.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What? Are you telling me that peanut butter is not universal? No way! I was under the assumption that even Martians from Mars are addicted to the creamy ooey-gooey goodness. Wow, those who do not live in the U.S. are missing out. Next your going to try and convince me that not everyone eats ketchup on everything......stop the insanity!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I hate ketchup too.

I feel like a bad American. For what it's worth, I really like apple pie and chocolate chip cookies.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I hate ketchup too.

I feel like a bad American. For what it's worth, I really like apple pie and chocolate chip cookies.

You were about to be deported...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    As for Cheez Whiz—my opinion is probably very unpopular, I find it revolting in texture and taste. It's like vaguely cheese-laced gooey paste. :confounded:

Agreed about Cheez Whiz. One of the greatest travesties ever in Philadelphia food culture was the day "wit'" came to mean with Cheez Whiz instead of regular cheese on a cheese steak. It's just so very wrong that a whole generation of people think it's the traditional Philly Cheese Steak cheese.

As for peanut butter? I love it, though I never liked peanut butter and jelly together. I liked it by itself, and I love it in Asian sauces.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I love peanut butter, but Nutella tastes like liquid sugar to me *gag*.

Agreed. Way too sweet for me.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I could (and have) eat peanut butter directly from the jar, with many spoonfuls. It's really good mixed with chocolate chips. Sadly I don't eat it much anymore as it aggravates my mostly dormant GERD.

And George Washington Carver is a legitimate hero and benefactor of mankind.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I guess we kind of are weaned on PB. It's very yummy and as everyone has said, is easy to pack in a lunch.

I remember giving my son his first PB and watching his little face as he discovered how yummy that thing in his mouth was. :)
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize other countries besides the US don't have or really like peanut butter! I ate a ton of it when I was a kid...so much that I don't really care for it now as an adult. I do like peanut butter flavored desserts or candy...like Reece cups, yum! But just peanut butter on a sandwich or on celery or apples...eh veryyyy rarely do I crave it or even like it that much. My son and stepson however could eat it everyday...they love it, especially with grape jelly on sandwiches:smile:
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is my favorite. I work Reeses cup into my daily intake and have lost 15+ lbs since July.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Australia, and loved peanut butter, especially the 'goober' kind mixed with grape jelly and the crunchy variety, plus nutella. Now that I am in Canada, I love almond, cashew, peanut...heck, I love all those butters.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is mentioned in lots of threads and I am wondering why people in US especially love it so much.

I tried it once years ago and it made me gag. I didn't like the taste or the texture and haven't touched it since.

actually, pretty much...it's cheap and growing up, I'd say at least 3 out of 5 of my school lunches was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...the other two were usually bologna.

so yeah, I'd say it's definitely a U.S. lunch staple.

unfortunately, my youngest has a very serious peanut allergy, so no peanut butter in my house. I miss it and will often go out for one. I actually don't care for jam on mine, I prefer a bit of honey and some banana.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes, I grew up on it. Cheap, filling, nutritious, doesn't need refrigeration, versatile. Yum. I have some almost daily. I like the extra crunchy kind.

ETA: As to *why* we love it so much, it probably has a lot to do with our country's agricultural history, the Civil War, reconstruction South, and this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

You beat me to it, and thank you. There's a rich history surrounding the peanut. I'm fifth generation Canadian immigrant, itself a rare thing. Most of my ancestors came from Scotland. I have a little of that heritage left but love of oatmeal is certainly featured. Visiting the old homestead with grandpa we found an old peanut butter tin nestled in the foundation which grandpa recalled fondly.

Peanuts, potatoes and oatmeal were the cheap, nutritious miracle foods for the masses back then.

I think the potato is still a miracle food! It is full of good things, is cheap, and definitely underrated. The problem, perhaps, is when they are deep fried or swimming in gallons of butter.

Oatmeal + Peanut Butter is just the best... must be both my Scottish heritage and my Southern US identity coming into play... how very Appalachian of me... or maybe they're just delicious together. It's just so nutty and hearty and cozy.

If you really want to get on the peanut train, travel to the deep south (like I live in Tenneesse and that's not far enough south) and buy some fresh boiled peanuts from a roadside stand. They are a delicacy. Next time I have them, I may have to try them with lime and sriracha. :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    U.S. could be the only country that considers Peanut Butter as a "protein" vs a "fat." Most other countries look at Peanut Butter as a "fat."

That's not going to stop me from eating my homemade peanut butter cookies <3

i'm pretty sure most Americans haven't a clue what the macro breakdown is, nor do they care...I don't see the average Joe/Jane walking around with their PB sandwich talking about how awesome the protein is...they're just eating a peanut butter sandwich and nomming on some chips and a soda...

if asked, most of them would say it's mostly fat I think. only on MFP do you get people touting the protein benefits...but that's just MFP...which is fecking weirdo world to begin with.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Nope, not weaned on it.

I don't actually remember having peanut butter until about 6th or 7th grade. Even then, I only got PB&J when mom ran out of deli meat. I liked peanut butter fine, but never thought it was all that until I was much older and was introduced to buckeyes and Ina Garten's peanut butter frosting.

Buckeyes are so very good! And I just love Ina.

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I hate ketchup too.

Ditto!
    justrollme wrote: »
    As for Cheez Whiz—my opinion is probably very unpopular, I find it revolting in texture and taste. It's like vaguely cheese-laced gooey paste. :confounded:

Agreed about Cheez Whiz. One of the greatest travesties ever in Philadelphia food culture was the day "wit'" came to mean with Cheez Whiz instead of regular cheese on a cheese steak. It's just so very wrong that a whole generation of people think it's the traditional Philly Cheese Steak cheese.

I live near Philly and I have to agree with this so wholeheartedly.
  • stealthq
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yes, I grew up on it. Cheap, filling, nutritious, doesn't need refrigeration, versatile. Yum. I have some almost daily. I like the extra crunchy kind.

ETA: As to *why* we love it so much, it probably has a lot to do with our country's agricultural history, the Civil War, reconstruction South, and this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

You beat me to it, and thank you. There's a rich history surrounding the peanut. I'm fifth generation Canadian immigrant, itself a rare thing. Most of my ancestors came from Scotland. I have a little of that heritage left but love of oatmeal is certainly featured. Visiting the old homestead with grandpa we found an old peanut butter tin nestled in the foundation which grandpa recalled fondly.

Peanuts, potatoes and oatmeal were the cheap, nutritious miracle foods for the masses back then.

I think the potato is still a miracle food! It is full of good things, is cheap, and definitely underrated. The problem, perhaps, is when they are deep fried or swimming in gallons of butter.

Oatmeal + Peanut Butter is just the best... must be both my Scottish heritage and my Southern US identity coming into play... how very Appalachian of me... or maybe they're just delicious together. It's just so nutty and hearty and cozy.

If you really want to get on the peanut train, travel to the deep south (like I live in Tenneesse and that's not far enough south) and buy some fresh boiled peanuts from a roadside stand. They are a delicacy. Next time I have them, I may have to try them with lime and sriracha. :)

Heresy!

Virginia roasted peanuts are the only way to go.

The texture of boiled peanuts are just *wrong*. :wink: