Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I know I grew to love it when I lived in the states, Australia is only now really getting on the peanut butter train.

Really? I'm Australian and have had peanut or 20+ years.

Peanut butter and butter sandwhiches. Crunchy peanut butter on toast.

There was always a jar or two in the house.

I havent had it much lately, I would imagine what I had would be too high in calories.

Is peanut butter really not that popular in Australia?

Oh, we've always had it in jars, but I mean the whole "peanut butter and..." thing seem to only now be catching on. I remember as a kid going to the states and finding peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, peanut butter varieties of common candy bars, peanut butter cookes etc... It's only in very recent years those things are available here.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I know I grew to love it when I lived in the states, Australia is only now really getting on the peanut butter train.

I havent had it much lately, I would imagine what I had would be too high in calories.

Oh, we've always had it in jars, but I mean the whole "peanut butter and..." thing seem to only now be catching on. I remember as a kid going to the states and finding peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, peanut butter varieties of common candy bars, peanut butter cookes etc... It's only in very recent years those things are available here.
    I recall watching a YouTube series by an Australian chef several years ago where he tried American candy he had shipped in and reacted to it. He had never seen peanut butter and chocolate together before and that is a common combo in American candy.
    Apparently his world changed when trying Reeses peanut butter cups. He later said he had become obsessed with the combo and can't get enough.

As an American watching this guy it was so funny and cute seeing a grown man light up over Reeses and chocolate/peanut butter combo in general.

He hated most of our candy otherwise though.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I've always loved it - even when had it for the first time as a little kid in Brazil, then when moved to Australia at 6 years old it became a staple in my lunch box. It's great alone, with honey, with jam (or jelly!) and with Nutella - OMFG. And now FINALLY I came across PB2 at the health food store - had it in my proats this morning and died and went to heaven because I haven't eaten proper peanut butter since I started my weight loss thing 8 months ago. Oh heavenly!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

How big were the jars?

We've got a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard too ... my Australian husband likes it once in a while ... but it is teensy tiny. Maybe 500 grams. And it has lasted us forever.

The tubs I used to get in Canada were enormous 2 litre things, and before discovering my intolerance, I was motoring through those in no time.

500g would be my guess.

so maybe your right and american/canadians are into the peanut butter on a whole other level compared to australians.

Yeah, I think they are on different levels.

I know that when I lived in Canada (before discovering peanuts and I didn't get along at all), I used to come home from work every day and have two pieces of toast. I would trowel on the peanut butter ... it would be 1 cm or more thick, and then I'd layer on the honey.

Later in the evening I'd make a combo some well-meaning person put me on to ... I would fill a large soup bowl with chocolate ice cream, add several tablespoons of peanut butter, and mix. As I recall, it tasted great!!

Plus I used to make peanut butter cookies and squares.

And sometimes I would just eat several tablespoons of it on its own.

Those 2 litre tubs of peanut butter didn't last long in my house!!

Fortunately at the time I was young and very active, so I didn't gain a whole lot of weight ... but I remember than I sort of wanted to drop 10 lbs or so and couldn't seem to do it. Wonder why?!? Then when I found out that peanuts, peanut butter and peas were causing me all sorts of digestive issues, and dropped them from my diet ... all of a sudden I did lose the weight. :grin:
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    carlyp79 wrote: »
    I'm in Australia and I grew up on PB. On crackers, bread, celery... it's cheap and tasty. I cheerfully feed it to my twin toddlers, and sometimes they just eat a glob of it off a spoon.

yep - my daughter also eats it straight out of the jar.

and complains that she can't take it to daycare because of the no nuts policy - try to explain to a little kid that some kids get sick if they eat peanut butter and can see her face little going "wtf? how can you get sick from eating this!?"
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Cheez Whiz is a cheese "product" that come in a can and sprays out like whipped cream. I've never eaten it and don't plan to. Crunchy peanut butter on Ritz crackers, on the other hand, or a piece of bread with peanut butter and sliced banana, I sure wish I saved enough calories for those treats.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big a fan of plain peanut butter, but I'm a SUCKER for the flavoured kinds, like nuts n more toffee crunch, salted caramel jif whips and other fancy peanut butter+protein spreads. Plain I prefer almond butter. Its SOO good in oatmeal and I love making sweet omelettes with pb and syrup on them mmmmm
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've never liked peanut butter, though I grew up with peanut butter and jelly ("PBJ") sandwiches and boxed macaroni and cheese like most American kids. What I think is more bizarre than the sandwiches and chocolate and peanut butter candy, is putting peanut butter on all kinds of crazy things it obviously doesn't belong on. My dad used to put it on everything, and the weirdest one I remember was a hot dog. Pancakes (like with maple syrup and bacon) is fairly common. I'm pretty sure I could find someone who eats it on their eggs or hamburgers or steak or tuna salad if I tried.

The only one more bizarre is ranch dressing. I'm pretty sure some people I know think everything in the world tastes like ranch dressing or peanut butter or diet coke. *shudder*
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My mom used to pack it in my lunch everyday. And she made me peanut butter sandwiches when we ate lunch at home. And i used to eat it out of the jar by the spoonful. I figure that peanut butter was probably one of the main reasons why I was fat. People over here like it because it's cheap, travels well, and because pretty much all kids are willing to eat it without a fuss. Most are usually pretty sweet, too, and Americans tend to have a sweet tooth in general.

At my old school, we could bring in any foods we wanted. The school officials just made kids with severe allergies eat by themselves in the library. Maybe it's just because of the way I grew up (since that was normal and all,) but I kind of wish that more schools would do that instead of saying "No one in this 500+ person school can eat anything with peanuts in it because 3 people are allergic to them!" They won't have the luxury of people protecting them from their allergens forever. People stop caring once they leave public school. May as well learn how to avoid them on their own while in school. That's another discussion, though.

I still love peanut butter, but I have to weigh my portion out every time. While I can eyeball most things pretty accurately, getting a "spoonful" of peanut butter for me always ends up being 2+ servings. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MaraNatha Caramel Almond spread=yum.

Oh yes.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eh. I'm American and I'm, at best, indifferent to peanut butter. It's mostly the texture, I think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've never liked peanut butter, though I grew up with peanut butter and jelly ("PBJ") sandwiches and boxed macaroni and cheese like most American kids. What I think is more bizarre than the sandwiches and chocolate and peanut butter candy, is putting peanut butter on all kinds of crazy things it obviously doesn't belong on. My dad used to put it on everything, and the weirdest one I remember was a hot dog. Pancakes (like with maple syrup and bacon) is fairly common. I'm pretty sure I could find someone who eats it on their eggs or hamburgers or steak or tuna salad if I tried.

The only one more bizarre is ranch dressing. I'm pretty sure some people I know think everything in the world tastes like ranch dressing or peanut butter or diet coke. *shudder*

What is the point of a pancake without peanut butter?? I often skip the pancake and just eat the peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. It's one of my favorite desserts.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    And still my friends have not heard about it (I live in Croatia), but i loooooove it. Although I have to strugle to find it.
    Btw I think pb in USA is something like nutella in Europe.

When my brother and SIL lived in France (1990-91), they had 2 pre-school aged children. They could get PB at a special "American" grocery but it was really expensive. The price of visiting and staying with them was one jar of PB per night of staying. When I went, the guy manning the security scanner couldn't figure out what all the jars and bottles were in my suitcase. I had to explain that I was taking 3 jars of PB and 2 bottles of unscented hairspray to my family in addition to my personal things. This was before the days of 9/11 and the TSA.

Lol. When I was teaching in West Africa I met two French women who worked not far from my school. We became friends and when we all left Africa we kept in touch. A year or so later I went to Paris for vacation and we had made plans to get together. I brought four HUGE jars of peanut butter, two for each of them. They had learned to love it in our village but the only jars they could find in France were, as you said, small and expensive.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I never really thought of peanut butter as being any more popular or common than any other food, but compared to how infrequently the rest of the world apparently eats it, I guess it is. PB&J is probably the most common lunch food for elementary school kids (or was back when I was a kid). I still eat it pretty frequently (usually with a sliced apple or banana) and I assume it is an item that most people always keep on hand for some use or another. It's also good in sauces.

Thinking about it now, I remember in college I had a class with a girl from (I believe) Bulgaria who had never had peanut butter before so she would eat it by the jar-ful when same came to the U.S. for school. I never realized PB wasn't a thing in so many countries.

And vegemite is disgusting.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I tried a PB&J today.

Good on you, Americans. It is quite tasty.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm shocked to hear how many people either don't like, or are indifferent to, peanut butter. I mean, no judgement or anything, but I'm genuinely surprised.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOXTNdqrLo
    So, Professor Carver's two dinner guests...Edward "Skippy" Williamson and Frederick "Jif" Armstrong - two white men - stole George Washington Carver's recipe for peanut butter, copyrighted it, and reaped untold fortunes from it. While Dr. Carver died penniless and insane, still trying to play a phonograph record with a peanut.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and eat peanut butter on a daily basis, I spend far too much money on overpriced niche flavoured peanut butters from people like Nuts 'n' More, Hognuts Nut butters and Peanut Butter & Co.

My current favourite is a grilled sandwich made using apricot jam, banana and white chocolate peanut butter.

For my birthday my wife suprised me with a Peanut Butter and Jelly Cake, a Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bacon Pie and a Peanut Butter Cheesecake. All from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbooks.

I like peanut butter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What is the point of a pancake without peanut butter?? I often skip the pancake and just eat the peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. It's one of my favorite desserts.

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Maple syrup (real maple syrup), wonderful.

Peanut butter, argh, you ruined it. Ick.

But it's still not as bad as the ranch dressing on everything stuff. I never ran into that as a kid -- ranch was a salad dressing, that's all, and not even the most popular one. So I refuse to accept that that's some American thing. Maybe it's regional or generational, but it's not American.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    We are pretty much weaned on it my folks would use it to keep me interested in the much hated pacifier. Mind you my parents also gave me jerky sticks to teeth on so that truly might just be my family.