Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    U.S. could be the only country that considers Peanut Butter as a "protein" vs a "fat." Most other countries look at Peanut Butter as a "fat."

That's not going to stop me from eating my homemade peanut butter cookies <3

i'm pretty sure most Americans haven't a clue what the macro breakdown is, nor do they care...I don't see the average Joe/Jane walking around with their PB sandwich talking about how awesome the protein is...they're just eating a peanut butter sandwich and nomming on some chips and a soda...

if asked, most of them would say it's mostly fat I think. only on MFP do you get people touting the protein benefits...but that's just MFP...which is fecking weirdo world to begin with.

My folks have started a low carb higher protein diet. They were pretty convinced nuts are a high protein food until I pointed out the nutrition label. I'm guessing nuts are recommended in Atkins or South Beach (which then links them to protein in the dieters' mind). They've done both diets before and that's probably where they got the idea.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I have to confess [wait for it] that until about 5 years ago I thought peanuts were real nuts [not legumes] and grew on trees like other nuts...runs and tries to hide :*

I just realized peas were legumes (since I finally actually looked up what the definition of a legume was)...

Lupins are legumes as well - lovely flowers but deadly poisonous if eaten. Bit of random info lol

You can eat lupin beans, but you have to let them sit in running water for an extremely long time.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and bacon, though bacon is more universal in appeal.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If someone told me I could only choose one food to eat for the rest of my life......I would choose peanut butter, but only the natural kind.................just ground peanuts!!!!
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me if you drink milk with peanut butter you get a "complete protein". She always served me milk with PB sandwiches. Maybe the milk thing is where the connection between PB and protein comes in.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My Father was a peanut farmer, i have pb like 100 different ways but by far my absolute favorite is plain unsalted ground peanuts....no extra oil, sugar, salt, molasses. It makes a difference!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My mom always told me if you drink milk with peanut butter you get a "complete protein". She always served me milk with PB sandwiches. Maybe the milk thing is where the connection between PB and protein comes in.

Milk helps you swallow the PB since it is thick and sticky.

• momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Must...resist...obvious..jokes :s

But in all seriousness I like peanut butter better now as an adult then I did as a kid, we always had it in the house and I ate it occasionally in a sandwich (without jelly) and a glass of milk. Now I'm more inclined to eat it in a dessert with chocolate and actually enjoy it but regardless it's just not a first pick for me. Oddly everybody in my family including my husband loves peanut butter and forgets I don't usually eat it so they're always offering it to me lol I do think peanut butter is very quintessential to the typical American though, I really can't think of anyone I know (besides myself) who doesn't care for it much. :)
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many of us have eaten peanut butter today after reading this post? (Raises hand holding peanut butter toast).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »

But in all seriousness I like peanut butter better now as an adult then I did as a kid, we always had it in the house and I ate it occasionally in a sandwich (without jelly) and a glass of milk. Now I'm more inclined to eat it in a dessert with chocolate and actually enjoy it but regardless it's just not a first pick for me. Oddly everybody in my family including my husband loves peanut butter and forgets I don't usually eat it so they're always offering it to me lol I do think peanut butter is very quintessential to the typical American though, I really can't think of anyone I know (besides myself) who doesn't care for it much. :)

One of my "go to" stews is an African Groundnut stew which includes PB along with a lot of cumin and cayenne. Very tasty.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of us have eaten peanut butter today after reading this post? (Raises hand holding peanut butter toast).

(Looks at turkey meatballs remaining from lunch)

Not me. Kind of wish I had some.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't know anyone in France who tasted the stuff and actually liked it.

I didn't really at first but now I do... as long as it's with chocolate. I like almond butter better though.

In France I grew up with Nutella.

And I got to add... PB is NOT a good source of protein. WHY do people always say that?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh thank you Americans, Australians, Canadians, Europe and everybody else in the World for your replies - I can only say I admire George Washington Carver immensely.

I do hope I haven't made anyone creep over their deficit he he!!!
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    momoharuno wrote: »

One of my "go to" stews is an African Groundnut stew which includes PB along with a lot of cumin and cayenne. Very tasty.

You know, I have heard of several African dishes that use peanut butter in them, I would love to try them someday I love trying new cuisines I just find it very interesting :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The peanut butter craze boggles my mind too. Why not go nuts over something sweet and yummy like honey, or something tasty like cheese spread? Peanut butter smells terrible and tastes even worse.

I also seems to be touted as a sweet thing but it's a savoury item isn't it? Like I don't see walnuts as a sweet treat, or cashew nuts.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I hate peanut butter. I am afraid to try Nutella. I have heard its like crack.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    The peanut butter craze boggles my mind too. Why not go nuts over something sweet and yummy like honey, or something tasty like cheese spread? Peanut butter smells terrible and tastes even worse.

I also seems to be touted as a sweet thing but it's a savoury item isn't it? Like I don't see walnuts as a sweet treat, or cashew nuts.

I think you answered your own question... :laugh:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I know I grew to love it when I lived in the states, Australia is only now really getting on the peanut butter train.

Really? I'm Australian and have had peanut or 20+ years.

Peanut butter and butter sandwhiches. Crunchy peanut butter on toast.

There was always a jar or two in the house.

I havent had it much lately, I would imagine what I had would be too high in calories.

Is peanut butter really not that popular in Australia?

How big were the jars?

We've got a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard too ... my Australian husband likes it once in a while ... but it is teensy tiny. Maybe 500 grams. And it has lasted us forever.

The tubs I used to get in Canada were enormous 2 litre things, and before discovering my intolerance, I was motoring through those in no time.

500g would be my guess.

so maybe your right and american/canadians are into the peanut butter on a whole other level compared to australians.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    MaraNatha Caramel Almond spread=yum.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, I grew up on it. Cheap, filling, nutritious, doesn't need refrigeration, versatile. Yum. I have some almost daily. I like the extra crunchy kind.

ETA: As to *why* we love it so much, it probably has a lot to do with our country's agricultural history, the Civil War, reconstruction South, and this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

Peanut butter is the one thing Carver didn't invent, peanut wise.