Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Replies

• Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    love me some peanut butter!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've never liked peanut butter, though I grew up with peanut butter and jelly ("PBJ") sandwiches and boxed macaroni and cheese like most American kids. What I think is more bizarre than the sandwiches and chocolate and peanut butter candy, is putting peanut butter on all kinds of crazy things it obviously doesn't belong on. My dad used to put it on everything, and the weirdest one I remember was a hot dog. Pancakes (like with maple syrup and bacon) is fairly common. I'm pretty sure I could find someone who eats it on their eggs or hamburgers or steak or tuna salad if I tried.

The only one more bizarre is ranch dressing. I'm pretty sure some people I know think everything in the world tastes like ranch dressing or peanut butter or diet coke. *shudder*

What is the point of a pancake without peanut butter?? I often skip the pancake and just eat the peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. It's one of my favorite desserts.

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Maple syrup (real maple syrup), wonderful.

Peanut butter, argh, you ruined it. Ick.

But it's still not as bad as the ranch dressing on everything stuff. I never ran into that as a kid -- ranch was a salad dressing, that's all, and not even the most popular one. So I refuse to accept that that's some American thing. Maybe it's regional or generational, but it's not American.

Oh, yeah it is. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most Americans eat ranch dressing more regularly than peanut butter. Though I don't think the ranch obsession dates back as far as pb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Nope, I refuse to accept it!
    :-)
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    I totally didn't have time for breakfast today, so I grabbed a jar of peanut butter and ate a couple spoonfuls on my way out the door!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Having been born and raised in holland we always had a jar of peanut butter in the house, my dad and sisters loved it, I'm pretty indifferent toward it though take it or leave it and so dry! There were far nicer sweet sandwich toppers available growing up than pb. Having moved to the UK i do miss my hagelslag (chocolate sprinkles), anijs hagel (aniseed sprinkles) and vruchten hagel (fruit flavoured sprinkles), it probably a good thing i can't get them here they are full of sugar! And i can't just have a bit of any of them either.

We have pb in the house all the time but thats for the hubby more than me although i will occasionally have some.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    I've never liked peanut butter, though I grew up with peanut butter and jelly ("PBJ") sandwiches and boxed macaroni and cheese like most American kids. What I think is more bizarre than the sandwiches and chocolate and peanut butter candy, is putting peanut butter on all kinds of crazy things it obviously doesn't belong on. My dad used to put it on everything, and the weirdest one I remember was a hot dog. Pancakes (like with maple syrup and bacon) is fairly common. I'm pretty sure I could find someone who eats it on their eggs or hamburgers or steak or tuna salad if I tried.

The only one more bizarre is ranch dressing. I'm pretty sure some people I know think everything in the world tastes like ranch dressing or peanut butter or diet coke. *shudder*

What is the point of a pancake without peanut butter?? I often skip the pancake and just eat the peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. It's one of my favorite desserts.

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

But it's still not as bad as the ranch dressing on everything stuff. I never ran into that as a kid -- ranch was a salad dressing, that's all, and not even the most popular one. So I refuse to accept that that's some American thing. Maybe it's regional or generational, but it's not American.

I can attest that at least in Oklahoma and Texas people have a serious thing for putting ranch on stuff, pizza by far is the biggest one a lot of people dip every bite into a cup of ranch. They put it on fries and chips too, its paired with vegetables too but I'd honestly say it's more common to see people dipping vegetables in the cheese or chili sauce if it's available at a party. Definitely not for me but my husband does all that as well and whenever it's a discussion at a restaurant table with friends and family everyone always thinks I'm the weirdo lol
    wow this sounds so unhealthy now that I read it lol :D
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    momoharuno wrote: »

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

I can attest that at least in Oklahoma and Texas people have a serious thing for putting ranch on stuff, pizza by far is the biggest one a lot of people dip every bite into a cup of ranch. They put it on fries and chips too, its paired with vegetables too but I'd honestly say it's more common to see people dipping vegetables in the cheese or chili sauce if it's available at a party. Definitely not for me but my husband does all that as well and whenever it's a discussion at a restaurant table with friends and family everyone always thinks I'm the weirdo lol

Yeah, I've lived in the north west, south west, and now the north east US, and putting ranch on pizza, cheese sticks, fries, potato skins, wings, etc, is common everywhere I've lived.

Maybe it is a generational thing. My WW2 generation grandparents didn't do that. But my baby boomer parents sure did and do.

I also like peanut butter on pancakes and waffles. Melty peanut butter topped with warm syrup is nomnom.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Um. Where in Texas?

I'm a native Texan, lived in two major cities here (one north, one south) and I never see ranch except as a salad dressing or the dip for a veggie platter. Only exception is when I lived in a small college town, and Double Dave's pepperoni rolls with ranch were a thing. Mainly during all-night cram sessions.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Um. Where in Texas?

I'm a native Texan, lived in two major cities here (one north, one south) and I never see ranch except as a salad dressing or the dip for a veggie platter. Only exception is when I lived in a small college town, and Double Dave's pepperoni rolls with ranch were a thing. Mainly during all-night cram sessions.

In the Dallas-Flower Mound area :)
    Lourdesong wrote: »

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Yeah, I've lived in the north west, south west, and now the north east US, and putting ranch on pizza, cheese sticks, fries, potato skins, wings, etc, is common everywhere I've lived.

Maybe it is a generational thing. My WW2 generation grandparents didn't do that. But my baby boomer parents sure did and do.

I also like peanut butter on pancakes and waffles. Melty peanut butter topped with warm syrup is nomnom.
    Yes! I was going blank on the other ones thank you lol

I guess I'm also the crazy one who doesn't like pancakes? I love waffles though lol
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    I personally love peanut butter. My mom however cannot stand to even smell it, so it was not necessarily a "staple" item growing up... That being said- for my fellow peanut butter lovers - my friend taught me something this summer that is heaven.

S'mores with a Reese's PB Cup instead of Hersey's Chocolate square.... OMG yummy!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Um. Where in Texas?

In the Dallas-Flower Mound area :)
    Lourdesong wrote: »

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Yes! I was going blank on the other ones thank you lol

I guess I'm also the crazy one who doesn't like pancakes? I love waffles though lol

General ballpark (in Texas terms) to where I am, then, but farther west.

Wonder if you have similar demographics as far as where the non-Texans that live there originated. My area has (depending on whether I'm at home or visiting family) lots of Canadians and Northeasterners.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never heard of this ranch on pizza thing until I came to MFP.

It's an outrage, I tell you. Where is the America of my youth? I don't recall Alex P. Keaton eating ranch on pizza.

(Okay, I don't really care that much, but it sounds unpleasant.)
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    I'm from the US. I love peanut butter. It gets me full faster. My favorite kind is Peter pan roasted honey.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member

Pancakes ... with peanut butter??

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hehehe @suziecue20, I love this thread. I'm wondering why Americans don't only eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday and wth is ranch dressing now! I used to visit NYC and Miami a lot, and loved blueberry pancakes with streaky bacon. I'd never dream of eating that combo at home!
  • melissaRmennone
    melissaRmennone Posts: 11 Member
    Peanut butter.... Sooo good!!!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    edited September 2015
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the almighty PB, banana and honey sammich!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

This hurts me to read.

Pancake, wonderful.

Oh, yeah it is. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most Americans eat ranch dressing more regularly than peanut butter. Though I don't think the ranch obsession dates back as far as pb.

So, I don't eat ranch on much, random dipping sauces got cut back once I started logging and I saw how many calories they added to everything. But we went on vacation, and the friends we stayed with drowned *everything* in ranch. Blech.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    o030vnjj6ig4.jpg
    I've actually been meaning to try a cookie butter/peanut butter mix...