Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I know I grew to love it when I lived in the states, Australia is only now really getting on the peanut butter train.

Really? I'm Australian and have had peanut or 20+ years.

Peanut butter and butter sandwhiches. Crunchy peanut butter on toast.

There was always a jar or two in the house.

I havent had it much lately, I would imagine what I had would be too high in calories.

Is peanut butter really not that popular in Australia?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is mentioned in lots of threads and I am wondering why people in US especially love it so much.

I tried it once years ago and it made me gag. I didn't like the taste or the texture and haven't touched it since.

Heh, I've noticed this too.

I'm American and don't like it -- I like the stuff made just with peanuts and salt okay, but never eat it either. On the whole I don't care for the texture of peanut butter (crunchy or not) and don't get how people mix it into stuff. I like peanuts, though.

I also hate breakfast cereal. When I was a kid I felt like these were all pushed on me all the time. (They never come up now that I am an adult, and I had kind of forgotten how enthusiastic others were for both until coming to MFP.)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I don't ever remember considering peanut butter to be "more of a protein than a fat." When I was a kid, peanut butter and jam/jelly sandwiches were very common, because so many pb brands were cheap and easily accessible, and it wouldn't spoil in a packed lunch. But, "healthy?" I don't think many really cared, especially kids. Back then, regular grocery stores didn't even offer any "natural" varieties, all of the choices were loaded with sugar. In my house, it was more of a dessert item, especially when baked into cute cookies with Hershey kisses pressed into the middle. Now, there are a lot more choices of pb in a common grocery store, including without added sugar, etc.

But my kid (who is now 13) has never been allowed to bring anything with peanut butter to school, ever. The school has strict rules, because quite a few children have severe peanut allergies. I'm not sure if this is uncommon in other school districts. I know a neighboring school district will allow stuff with peanuts (including pb) to be brought to school only if it is clearly labeled, and then the child has to eat at a specific lunch table.

As for Cheez Whiz—my opinion is probably very unpopular, I find it revolting in texture and taste. It's like vaguely cheese-laced gooey paste. :confounded:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I know I grew to love it when I lived in the states, Australia is only now really getting on the peanut butter train.

Really? I'm Australian and have had peanut or 20+ years.

Peanut butter and butter sandwhiches. Crunchy peanut butter on toast.

There was always a jar or two in the house.

I havent had it much lately, I would imagine what I had would be too high in calories.

Is peanut butter really not that popular in Australia?

How big were the jars?

We've got a jar of peanut butter in the cupboard too ... my Australian husband likes it once in a while ... but it is teensy tiny. Maybe 500 grams. And it has lasted us forever.

The tubs I used to get in Canada were enormous 2 litre things, and before discovering my intolerance, I was motoring through those in no time.

• BeatriceCroacia
    Options
    And still my friends have not heard about it (I live in Croatia), but i loooooove it. Although I have to strugle to find it.
    Btw I think pb in USA is something like nutella in Europe.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Cheez Whiz makes for great nachos at a ball game. That is it. No other purpose.
  • justrollme
    Options

I'd agree with that! Although Nutella has finally fully caught on here in the USA, too.

• Machka9
    Options
    That actually sounds nice. I'll have to look and see if we have it here, thanks! Kraft make Dairylea too, so it might be similar.

I find it a little salty, if it's put on too thick, but I guess that's something it shares with Vegemite / Marmite / Bovril from what I hear. I've never tried those products because I can't bring myself to buy a whole jar of something I'm pretty sure I won't like.

CheezWhiz shares NOTHING with Vegemite/Marmite/et al. :open_mouth: Nothing. CheezWhiz is yummy on crackers, Vegemite/Marmite is just.... ick. : :p

{waits for Australians to throw rocks at me... } (but do I get a pass maybe if I tell you my mother is Australian?...I still don't like Vegemite though.)

I'm with you.

First time I tried Vegemite, I spat it out in the sink. I've been told since you're not supposed to put a thick glob on a wedge of toast.

Second time I tried it, it wasn't too bad. I had it in a sandwich mixed with liverwurst (which I love), and I was really hungry at the time. I inhaled the sandwich and hardly noticed the Vegemite.

I haven't tried it again.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    As for Cheez Whiz—my opinion is probably very unpopular, I find it revolting in texture and taste. It's like vaguely cheese-laced gooey paste. :confounded:

I'm with you, and wouldn't think that was an unpopular opinion. On the whole it's more joked about than appreciated among people I know (even the ones who love peanut butter!).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    And still my friends have not heard about it (I live in Croatia), but i loooooove it. Although I have to strugle to find it.

When my brother and SIL lived in France (1990-91), they had 2 pre-school aged children. They could get PB at a special "American" grocery but it was really expensive. The price of visiting and staying with them was one jar of PB per night of staying. When I went, the guy manning the security scanner couldn't figure out what all the jars and bottles were in my suitcase. I had to explain that I was taking 3 jars of PB and 2 bottles of unscented hairspray to my family in addition to my personal things. This was before the days of 9/11 and the TSA.

• Machka9
    Options
    I used to make a dip with Cheese Whiz.

1-1 litre jar of Cheese Whiz
    1-1 litre tub of plain (sour) yogurt
    Mixed well until sort of dip-like consistency
    Then add spices (garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and maybe a few others as desired) + chopped green onions or chives

Serve with a raw veggie platter or bowl of nachos or whatever, and serve up to a group of friends who have come round for the evening.

I tremble to think how many calories that was!! :smiley:
  • justrollme
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    That actually sounds nice. I'll have to look and see if we have it here, thanks! Kraft make Dairylea too, so it might be similar.

I find it a little salty, if it's put on too thick, but I guess that's something it shares with Vegemite / Marmite / Bovril from what I hear. I've never tried those products because I can't bring myself to buy a whole jar of something I'm pretty sure I won't like.

CheezWhiz shares NOTHING with Vegemite/Marmite/et al. :open_mouth: Nothing. CheezWhiz is yummy on crackers, Vegemite/Marmite is just.... ick. : :p

{waits for Australians to throw rocks at me... } (but do I get a pass maybe if I tell you my mother is Australian?...I still don't like Vegemite though.)

I'm with you.

First time I tried Vegemite, I spat it out in the sink. I've been told since you're not supposed to put a thick glob on a wedge of toast.

Second time I tried it, it wasn't too bad. I had it in a sandwich mixed with liverwurst (which I love), and I was really hungry at the time. I inhaled the sandwich and hardly noticed the Vegemite.

I haven't tried it again.

I have always been curious about Vegemite!

It always makes me think of this:

• BeatriceCroacia
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

When my brother and SIL lived in France (1990-91), they had 2 pre-school aged children. They could get PB at a special "American" grocery but it was really expensive. The price of visiting and staying with them was one jar of PB per night of staying. When I went, the guy manning the security scanner couldn't figure out what all the jars and bottles were in my suitcase. I had to explain that I was taking 3 jars of PB and 2 bottles of unscented hairspray to my family in addition to my personal things. This was before the days of 9/11 and the TSA.

Yeah sad story is that is case over here even today. I buy it just when it's 'American week' every 2 months and it is waaaay expensive. But I am addicted so Ebay here I come
  • eleanorella1989
    eleanorella1989 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm completely obsessed with peanut butter, peanuts, and anything peanut butter flavored! I've had it everyday for years and I've never gotten sick of it. I try to avoid the crunchy peanut butter though... I accidently swallowed my last baby tooth while eating a crunchy peanut butter and jelly sandwich at school in 5th grade, it traumatized me for the longest time and I didn't eat peanut butter for awhile after that. I love peanut butter ice cream and peanut butter cups and anything with a peanut butter flavor in it. The only way I'll eat chocolate is if it has peanut butter or if it's white chocolate, white chocolate and peanut butter is definitely my favorite. Peanut butter can be filling for me, so when I feel like I need something to fill me up and not eat so much I'll usually have a peanut butter sandwich or go for the peanut butter and sometimes eat it out of the jar. haha I like how it makes me so thirsty that I'm unable to sit there and eat too much of it, and it fills me up so I'm not stuffing my face right away when I'm done eating it.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, but Nutella tastes like liquid sugar to me *gag*.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, from the age of 2-8 American parents are required by law to feed their children nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on wonder bread.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Lots of Americans grew up on peanut butter. It was cheap, nutrious and kept well . Despite what one may think many people in the United States grew up in poverty or in families that maintained strict budgets to save money. canning vegatables from their gardens, picking berries, fishing and hunting.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    And it goes with anything. Bread, apples, celery, oreos, shakes, smoore's....

The list is endless.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I too am confused when different people like different things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, I grew up on it. Cheap, filling, nutritious, doesn't need refrigeration, versatile. Yum. I have some almost daily. I like the extra crunchy kind.

ETA: As to *why* we love it so much, it probably has a lot to do with our country's agricultural history, the Civil War, reconstruction South, and this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

You beat me to it, and thank you. There's a rich history surrounding the peanut. I'm fifth generation Canadian immigrant, itself a rare thing. Most of my ancestors came from Scotland. I have a little of that heritage left but love of oatmeal is certainly featured. Visiting the old homestead with grandpa we found an old peanut butter tin nestled in the foundation which grandpa recalled fondly.

Peanuts, potatoes and oatmeal were the cheap, nutritious miracle foods for the masses back then.