Ways to combat the bloating from too much sodium

Options
apparently, drinking extra water hasn't helped me out..lol I've gained 3.5 pounds overnight from it

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You just have to weight.

Pun intended.

Just wait.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mr Obvious here. If you have issues with sodium that you don't like why not restrict the sodium?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It will drop back off again in a few days or so. For me it usually takes a week for the water to come off if I have had a lot of salt.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Water, potassium rich foods and patience. I'm very sodium sensitive and keep mine below 2000. Give me one meal like Chinese Takeaway and I'm up 4 pounds, 2 or 3 days until I'm back to normal.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Mr Obvious here. If you have issues with sodium that you don't like why not restrict the sodium?

+1
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Once you've done it, you can't really DO much to change it. Just wait a day or two. Next time, watch your sodium consumption if it bothers you that much.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When your body needs more water, it naturally increases your thirst, so you don't have to make a point of drinking extra water. Trust your thirst. Potassium could help, but get it from food, not pills.

If you want to avoid problems caused by too much salt, reduce the salt. Won't help now! But, for future reference, it wouldn't be a bad idea. :)
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Eat like a lb of watermelon or take a diuretic.
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Options
    I do heavy cardio to sweat it all out when that happens.
    You will end up with a salt ring around your shirt lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    All I need is an extra day of lower sodium and it all goes away. Time, patience, and extra water and you will be back to normal.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    More water and add some lemon juice. And less sodium next time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Water, sweat and time.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This is so wrong!

You only have to restrict salt when you have a medical issue with it!
    And when your doctor advice it to do so, because it is NOT without risks.

"holding" water because of salt is for a healthy body normal. It drops off in the following days.
    Nothing wrong with it and totally not a reason to cut salt out of your food intake

And this comes from a person who cant have salt ( yes a medical issue) at all!

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My husband is on the skinnier side, yet the morning after going to a restaurant or ordering takeout his eyes are puffy and dark. It just is what it is. Lots of water to flush it and in time it will dissipate.
  • CharleneMarie_723
    Options
    I need a ton of salt in my diet. I feel dizzy and light-headed after my workouts if I don't. And I'm one of those gross salty sweaters. Guess everyone is different.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict it, in fact I'm crazy with it. Even higher than what's in my diary. I am always retaining water. I've thought about restricting a little just to see if I'm masking a loss but...eh...salt is so good.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This is so wrong!

"holding" water because of salt is for a healthy body normal. It drops off in the following days.
    Nothing wrong with it and totally not a reason to cut salt out of your food intake

My bad, should have said reduce, didn't mean to imply eliminating sodium. The OP thinks she has bloading issues from too much sodium intake, I would suggest she reduce, keeping it in the recommended ranges.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It sometimes takes me days to get rid of it. Its so annoying! Water does work, but it takes patience.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

This is so wrong!

My bad, should have said reduce, didn't mean to imply eliminating sodium. The OP tends to thing she has issues from too much sodium intake, I would suggest, she reduce, keeping it in the recommended ranges.

:)

Reducing is not bad nope.

Eat a lot of Potassium helps too. It makes it better balanced.