Options
13»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It's n
    Not
    What type of HR strap are you using with your phone?
    What model bike did you use?
    Did the bike track cadence data?

not sure if the bike tracks cadence, I'll have to check. New bike I didn't buy it though. And to the other posters who're just posting ridiculous things please stop, pretty sure every HRM calculates a burn even of you're on a stationary bike - cause you can select the type of exercise you're doing before you start working out. Probably adjusts based on that.

A HRM can come close on a stationary bike but not in the scenario you described. You described a GPS dependent app trying to calculate distance for something that didn't move ... making the app calculate using an elevated heart rate that it plugs into a formula for little to no work. Inaccurate input into a formula leads to inaccurate outputs.

Coming close to an accurate estimate of calories burned from a stationary bike requires knowing a lot more than just a person's heart rate. Cadence, resistance level, speed all factor into the amount of work performed ... which can then be used to estimate the amount of energy expended to perform that work.

its not gps dependent. Let's forget the bike. 2km jog for 275 calories in 20 minutes. That's what it logged

A very inflated burn unless you're nearly 350 pounds. 2km is roughly 1.25 miles ... that is based on an average net caloric burn of .63 pounds per pound of body weight for every mile run as measured over multiple studies.

You never did say how long you were on the bike or say what model HR strap you're using ... although that was the activity leading to your initial question. When the huge errors were noted, you deflected to the jog. What's next?
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It's n
    Not

not sure if the bike tracks cadence, I'll have to check. New bike I didn't buy it though. And to the other posters who're just posting ridiculous things please stop, pretty sure every HRM calculates a burn even of you're on a stationary bike - cause you can select the type of exercise you're doing before you start working out. Probably adjusts based on that.

A HRM can come close on a stationary bike but not in the scenario you described. You described a GPS dependent app trying to calculate distance for something that didn't move ... making the app calculate using an elevated heart rate that it plugs into a formula for little to no work. Inaccurate input into a formula leads to inaccurate outputs.

Coming close to an accurate estimate of calories burned from a stationary bike requires knowing a lot more than just a person's heart rate. Cadence, resistance level, speed all factor into the amount of work performed ... which can then be used to estimate the amount of energy expended to perform that work.

its not gps dependent. Let's forget the bike. 2km jog for 275 calories in 20 minutes. That's what it logged

A very inflated burn unless you're nearly 350 pounds. 2km is roughly 1.25 miles ... that is based on an average net caloric burn of .63 pounds per pound of body weight for every mile run as measured over multiple studies.

You never did say how long you were on the bike or say what model HR strap you're using ... although that was the activity leading to your initial question. When the huge errors were noted, you deflected to the jog. What's next?

Doesn't matter, someone stole my monitor from my backpack at work that night. Oh well, 100$ down the drain.
  • CharleneMarie_723
    Options
    I have Runtastic Pro (I don't have the HRM) and I think it overestimates by about 10% when plugging in an exercise. 35 calories per mile is a rough estimate for what I burn riding a bike without taking into account terrain, wind, etc. You can look up estimates based on your weight. The stationary bike *should* give you a distance you covered.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    It's n
    Not

Doesn't matter, someone stole my monitor from my backpack at work that night. Oh well, 100$ down the drain.

How does the strap disappearing prevent you from telling how long you rode?
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It's n
    Not

It doesn't, it just means I don't care anymore. No monitor = no need for me to care if it's accurate.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    It's n
    Not

It doesn't, it just means I don't care anymore. No monitor = no need for me to care if it's accurate.

Long before you lost the device, you failed to provide meaningful data. Simple questions remain unanswered, but you now no longer care after wasting the time of others.

For those that might be lurking ...

The OP didn't provide basic information needed to assess if either device was accurate or not. HR alone is not enough to determine caloric burn. All a HRM does is use HR as a proxy for effort in formulas based on steady state cardio ... constant effort running, cycling, rowing, etc. Without basics such as duration, resistance, speed, body weight ... it is impossible to compare one's burn to statistical averages. It matters if you performed an exercise for 10 minutes or 60 minutes matters when it comes to caloric burn. Resistance level matters. If you cannot provide basic data, do not expect any realistic answers.